mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
That reminds me...

*fires up Mass Effect*

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 04-06-10, 05:00 PM   #122
longdog499
Torpedoman

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

There is, I think, a definate 'dying on its feet' feel to this SH5 Forum. There is definately no buzz around here like there was for the first weeks of SH3 and even SH4. Sadly I think the poor quality of the game as it came out of the box coupled with the DRM issue has left us with a stillborn game that many people are simply not interested in.
Old 04-06-10, 05:02 PM   #123
vonTorpitz
Seaman

Downloads: 23
I kinda have to agree with the OP. I started a thread called All We are Saying is Give SH5 a Chance which has become a slagfest for SH5 and DRM. Ironically I started the thread in order to hear comments from those of us who have faith that the game will improve, which it will. Actually its starting to get damn good.
I guess the DRM scheme has really gotten folks aggravated, I personally havent had any issues with it. Ive never been DC'd or had any problems logging on to SH5. I spent the money on a largely unfinished game, that should be the predominant gripe here, not DRM. We cant fix the DRM issue no matter how much we piss and moan about it, but we can fix the game... and its becoming clear that those who arent wasting their time with futile DRM complaints are doing just that. So thanks. And keep the faith. Patch 2 is on the way and things are beginning to progress rather nicely.

P.S. Once we get that damn " different weather after load game" bug ironed out Ill be really happy. Its gotten me sunk a few times.

Old 04-06-10, 05:11 PM   #124
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i have said it a million times already,

just dont reply to them, when people stop entertaining the BS threads then people will go back to discussing the game itself and not the stuff surrounding the game such as UBI, DRM, and piracy or piracy protection methods.

the sad truth is that people would rather talk about this BS instead of returning to the true purpose of this forum which is to discuss the game and things related to it as far as it pertains to players.

we as modderators cant stop the conversation that is going on, only you the members can do that yourself. and i mean by not replying to those threads not by insulting those who post them.

this site prides itself on the reputation it has for allowing vast freedom to say whatever you want to within reason with little to no rules about it.

Old 04-06-10, 05:17 PM   #125
bilgepump
Nub

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Budokan View Post
Make a good game and it will be lauded and its praises sung to the stars.

Yeah. Sometimes it's really that simple.
With all due respect, Ubisoft didn't release a game, they released a platform with great graphics, and modding tools(bugs too, but they're working on that). If they went one way or the other(realism/FPS), they wouldn't sell as much in the long term IMHO.

I am convinced, that in a years time, this will be a great game for many different expectations, and in three years, that much more so.
Old 04-06-10, 05:30 PM   #126
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Right now things are stagnating because development is in limbo. The modders are reluctant to do much more until the new patch is released.

Then the mods will take off again.

And the complaints.

And the praise.

And the arguments.
Old 04-06-10, 05:33 PM   #127
vonTorpitz
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by audessy View Post
The reality is that the PC gaming industry is crippled and dieing.

As consoles become more competitive with pc's in their multi-functionality (eg. using a keyboard, mouse, internet, and hard drives) you can kiss your sweet gaming rig goodbye.
Im not so sure bout that. Consoles are for kiddie arcade gamers. I don't even own one. The PC has always been the bastion of refuge for those interested in something a little more serious, immersive and just plain grown up. And lets face it PC gamers are infinitely more well versed in script editing and all the other skills it takes to mod a game. There will always be a hardcore group of folks, such as here at Subsim, who simply wont settle for a console only world.
Its true PC gaming is at an all time low and long gone are the days when I could walk into an EB games and a whole wall of shelves was devoted to new PC releases. (might be a good thing, given the proliferation of crap there was, ie. mall tycoon, zoo tycoon, public restroom tycoon). Oh, and why do you suppose this is the current state of affairs? Hmmm, it might have something to do with internet piracy, do you think? Well, DRM is actually solving that issue in a round about way. I had to go out and buy this game because I couldnt download it off U-Torrent. Problem solved.
Its funny though because the very people who whine about the current state of affairs in the PC gaming world are usually also the same folks who slag DRM, the only effective fix to game piracy as yet put forward by anyone. And really, lets get down to brass tacks: internet piracy is the real enemy of the PC gaming world. Look at the bigger picture folks. Understand cause and effect.

Old 04-06-10, 05:35 PM   #128
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

I for one am anxiously awaiting the patch. I plan to cross-post an full campaign AAR here and at http://www.octopusoverlords.com

The first person approach has really gotten me into a writing/sharing mood.
Old 04-06-10, 05:36 PM   #129
ENtek-IO
Bosun

Downloads: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
blah, blah, blah...

yes, posters are free to keep posting exactly the same statement over and over and over again, but is'nt the definition of insanity to keep repeating the same action while expecting a different result?
You should look into the mirror once in a while.
Old 04-06-10, 05:40 PM   #130
vonTorpitz
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
I for one am anxiously awaiting the patch. I plan to cross-post an full campaign AAR here and at http://www.octopusoverlords.com

The first person approach has really gotten me into a writing/sharing mood.
Im with ya man, its this kind of enthusiasm that makes me smile

Old 04-06-10, 05:47 PM   #131
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENtek-IO View Post
You should look into the mirror once in a while.

Old 04-06-10, 05:47 PM   #132
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Time for some popcorn me thinks.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-06-10, 05:50 PM   #133
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
It's much easier to just use the list. That way the all important popcorn is saved for better uses
Old 04-06-10, 05:53 PM   #134
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan View Post
It's much easier to just use the list. That way the all important popcorn is saved for better uses
You just might have a point

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-06-10, 05:57 PM   #135
Placoderm
Soundman

Downloads: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing View Post
Do me a favor? Hop on over to the Falcon 4 forums and post that. But let me know when you are going to do it so I can be there to watch the fun !

And if you think that Dangerous Waters was a successor to the Harpoon Series then you never played Harpoon. Fleet Command... maybe, but it fell far, far short.

There are a couple of successors to Harpoon (Red Pill and Global Conflict Blue) but they both have a long way to go.

So where are the independent Sub-sim producers?

JCC

Fair warning... every time I see somone trot that "independant producers will fill the void" line out I intend to challenge them to supply just one name. Just one.

>>"Do me a favor? Hop on over to the Falcon 4 forums and post that."

Why would I bother? It would be the cyber-equivalent of standing on the bowsprit at Flank Speed and relieving my bladder. Not only was the falcon series produced by an independant, private, and dedicated group of programmers (Specrtun Holobyte), but Falcon 4 is what it is now due only to years of extensive modding. Unless you (or they) expect a brand new F16 block c simulator that is more accurate...(which would be nearly impossible to accomplish for even the most heavily-funded studio)...it just ain't gonna happen for a while, as the original fits the current market quite nicely in it's current state. On the other hand, unless it IS that F16 alone that you are wishing for, LockOn was a very high-quality release that also had a high-fidelity model yet a different interpretation of how to present it. DCS:Black Shark is far, far beyond the fidelity and accuracy of any version of Falcon 4, and the upcoming DCS:A-10 (based on the original LOMAC) is no less stunning and again far beyond anything that came before. Someday, the Falcon forums can look forward to a new F16-only study simulation if that is what they want, but they will be waiting until the right developer comes along and the market can support it. It will happen, but not if people continue to to support half-finished arcade games.

>>"And if you think that Dangerous Waters was a successor to the Harpoon Series then you never played Harpoon"

If you are waiting for a direct, sequential replacement for a title, then you will never get one. Any independent developer is going to make their own interpretation of that they want to present. It would be foolish and juvenile to try to make a direct successor to any other developers' prior program. That is like making a paper mache statue of an old girlfriend, instead of just finding a new girlfriend. Also, Dangerous Waters was made by the same folks who made Fleet Command and is a newer title, which is why I chose it instead.

>>"every time I see somone trot that "independant producers will fill the void" line out I intend to challenge them to supply just one name. Just one"

Combat Mission was an independant developers answer to Microsoft's Close Combat series. Combat Mission also eventually gave rise to the Theatre of War series. I seriously doubt that anyone who has played Theatre of War:Kursk 1943 would ever again even consider going back to Microsoft Close Combat in any form.

Have patience, grasshopper...Computer Gaming is still in it's infancy, for better or for worse.

...And all was good.

"Making a decision to not make a decision would still involve a decision-making process and such a thing has not happened." -sorlim, UBIsoft Community Developer
Closed Thread

Tags
best subsim, bug, complaints, drama, drm, far too silly, sh5