SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-20-21, 07:16 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default USS Drum SS-228 and Battleship Alabama Visit August 2021 (photos)

I was on vacation late July-early September and made a visit home. A friend and I drove over to Mobile to visit the Drum and Alabama. They were doing the living history drill that day, so had volunteers dressed in WW II era naval uniforms, 20 MM guns prepped to fire. They were supposed to have airplanes fly in and simulate attacks, fire the 20 MM at them but the planes had "engine trouble" that morning, so the pilots claimed.

Arrived early so would not have to endure the worst of the heat and get the tours in before lunch as had lunch plans. Unfortunately the firing of the guns and other drills were not until after 1 pm when would be gone, but oh well, enjoyed the tour as always.

Normally, would have better photos but the crowds as they usually allow me up on the bridge etc if I ask and no children around, but with the event hat day, too much of a crowd. The "XO" of the Drum crew was kind enough to take my phone and get a few pics from the bridge and gun platform. I was quite annoyed(just like with some of the other submarines) they had the conning tower locked off, Drum's was always open. Really takes away from the experience not being able to go into the conning tower. Ostensibly for COVID but makes no sense, we are in a submarine lol no social distancing there but ah well.

image hosting free forum

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 09-22-21 at 11:04 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-21, 12:46 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Glad you got a chance to visit the Bama & Drum. Have been a couple of times Myself on board both & greatly enjoyed being able to wander through a piece of important history.

M. M.

liked the pics you were able to take & share here...
Old 09-21-21, 11:20 AM   #3
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Excellent pics!