SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-23, 10:39 PM   #2821
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricko View Post
May I make a suggestion?

This may be a tad bit inhistorical, but from what I remember, some certain Airplanes had started to be deployed with Depth Charges (not excluding blimps-which I could only see as a hell to add to the game) around 1917. Maybe it would be cool if certain variants of the Sopwith Camel were to be equipped with some basic depth charges (of course, very weak and would most likely only be intended to instantly detonate after hitting the water)

bricko
There will be Sopwith Camels and RE8's with light bombs. Most aircraft bombs will be too light to do damage unless they get a direct or near direct hit.

Strafing, however, will be much more dangerous; I have already modified the game so sailors get killed and injured MUCH more often. This is more accurate than standard SH4. Even a MG round that misses a crewman in real life can cause fatal casualties from chipped metal. Or kill from bullet fragmenting against submarine equipment. Tests of WW2 submarines proved machine guns could kill or wound men belowdecks, and WW1 subs would have been even more vulnerable.

There will also be Short 184 seaplanes, which were potentially dangerous to U-Boats because they carried torpedoes. During WWI they never torpedoed any U-Boats, but the possibility did exist.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-23, 07:25 AM   #2822
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Halo, i found this one video from a WW1 UB. Do not know if it helps.
The tittle say WW2, but in the description it's correct.

Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-23, 08:52 PM   #2823
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Thank you Rhodes!

Major components done last night; now I am texturing - more than 200,000 polygons.

Old 12-22-23, 06:24 AM   #2824
Alex.B
Chief

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post

Alex.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 06:48 AM   #2825
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Thank you Rhodes!

Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-23, 08:22 PM   #2826
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Several nice historical pix I found on my HD....
Old 12-23-23, 08:27 PM   #2827
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Since the most recent video, water has been altered. Early morning, low wind sea state....There will be better flecks of sunlight and less choppiness at low wind speeds, so the waves are not unrealistically "bunched up".

Thanks, Jeff, for offering to look into the additional water improvements that are being researched!

Note that these images feature an optional Reshade preset with high exposure; of course you do not have to use Reshade - the final product will let you tune the appearance of sky and sea to your heart's content.

Old 12-23-23, 08:34 PM   #2828
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Miscellaneous screens I found including alternate environments (with U-87 model), U-63, battleships, and skinninf of the Germaniawerft Diesel Engine:

Old 12-26-23, 08:13 AM   #2829
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Hey iambecomelife..

I can already smell the Diesel fumes... A work that goes beyond anything we know... You are remarkable... You are, as in mathematics, a "remarkable identity" continue to make me dream... it's excellent after several years spent on this project...I've been following you for a very long time practically from the beginning...I admit that when you lost your hard drive...there was a period...I no longer believe it ...Then miraculously you continued and conquered the storm.. I wish you success...As well as a happy end of year holiday...it is completely deserved...
Regards Kal Maximus U669
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-23, 08:34 AM   #2830
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hey iambecomelife..

I can already smell the Diesel fumes... A work that goes beyond anything we know... You are remarkable... You are, as in mathematics, a "remarkable identity" continue to make me dream... it's excellent after several years spent on this project...I've been following you for a very long time practically from the beginning...I admit that when you lost your hard drive...there was a period...I no longer believe it ...Then miraculously you continued and conquered the storm.. I wish you success...As well as a happy end of year holiday...it is completely deserved...
Regards Kal Maximus U669
Wow, you are too kind; thank you for your words!

I have to say, credit goes to my mother, who got me interested in reading at a young age. I still remember being a youngster when Robert Ballard discovered the Titanic, and I was fascinated. My parents bought me books on the Titanic, and then I became fascinated with the Battle of the Atlantic, the Bismarck, and so on.

In terms of updates, I am glad to say the GW engine has been "installed" on the U-31 boat.

It has animated rocking arms and base. On Christmas I added a diesel engine room to the American S Class command room; now players can travel seamlessly from command room to the diesel compartment aft.

Getting a working engine in the interior is a huge milestone; I had been dreading it but it went well. The MAN engine of course can use a lot of the same parts; this means some of the most difficult days are behind us.

Unfortunately the rocking arms do not have multiple speed settings, but players will be able to turn off the animation while underwater.

Next steps: adding particle effects like oil, fumes, etc. and crewmember slots; there will be several men performing maintenance and adjusting fuel flow, working with wrenches, etc.

I am tempted to post screenshots but I will add a video and images when the work progresses......right now the engine room is still pretty bare, it needs a lot of pipes and other details. But things are going very well.

My holiday break is over now and I am about to go to work, but as soon as my workday ends I will be "back in the saddle".
Old 12-26-23, 06:20 PM   #2831
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Jeff and Kapitan Oliver Leinkraunt, you both received a PM; any help you could give would be valuable.

I'm always asking for something!!!

Work's over - back to adding stuff to the engine room! Among other things.
Old 12-27-23, 02:36 PM   #2832
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

PM answered.
Old 12-27-23, 03:53 PM   #2833
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 164

Same as for me

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-24, 03:31 PM   #2834
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1491

Any news on a timeframe for this Mod?

JeffG
Old 01-08-24, 06:10 PM   #2835
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliantheblaze22 View Post
Been following this mod for along time im very excited, i also you guys have made alot of progress. Is their any estimate on a test version yet?
We will attempt late winter/early spring 2024. So basically the end of March. Thank you everyone for the support, it makes it worthwhile. In one of the upcoming updates you will see the animated WWI engine room, with many new details.