SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-21, 12:02 PM   #211
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

If I understand from what I read in this thread, You are not expecting things like
Nuclear holocaust
Earth killer meteor/Asteroid/Planetoid

I guess you are planning on a total breakdown of the society and other disaster where you are able to live in your basement or in the woods/montains.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 12:36 PM   #212
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^@Mapuc
"If we destroy the earth it will kill us"

The redneck approach: "Not when we kill it first!"

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 12:46 PM   #213
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I have a Champion duel fuel, small generator, cheap, made in China. I run it once a month [...]
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
[...]
Thank you, yes this seems like an affordable solution!
Good to hear you made without major problems

re shooting TVs:
Quote:
Are they good eatin'?
They are smeaky bastards, spoiling your attitude for nature and the world, effectively poisoning your mind. And you cannot even eat them (toxic waste)

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 06:37 PM   #214
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
If I understand from what I read in this thread, You are not expecting things like
Nuclear holocaust
Earth killer meteor/Asteroid/Planetoid

I guess you are planning on a total breakdown of the society and other disaster where you are able to live in your basement or in the woods/montains.

Markus
I'm a realistic person, there's not much I can do in those cases. My goal is to be able to ride out 3 weeks without power and services, and not be forced to stand in those mile long chump lines for water, gas, or something to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Thank you, yes this seems like an affordable solution!
Good to hear you made without major problems

re shooting TVs:

They are smeaky bastards, spoiling your attitude for nature and the world, effectively poisoning your mind. And you cannot even eat them (toxic waste)
Lol, yeah. The cost of the generator isn't too bad. I swear you'll be thankful when you need it and it's there.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 08:27 PM   #215
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

3 weeks is still short. Realistically, aim for 3-4 months. That timeframe can be prepared for if you invest a low 4-digit budget, and have the space, one room, to store it.

The reason is simply that if ther eis a nationw ide power blackoput lasting for lets say 3-5 days, it will take weeks and months to bring the poiwergrid back online (assuming that option still exists), a longer power grid is nothign that can be easily turned on again after it was off for that long. Consider sweet water from pipes not comign back before after weeks. Consider that supply line shad failed for mlogn time, and logistics will be seriousl interrupted therefore for longer time than just the power blackout lasted.

I aimed at mixing emergency ratios (NRG-5), canned food (fish, MREs) , cereals plus "atste-givers" (conserved sauces or whatever) at eqaul ammounts (measured in days). Plus a variety of different ioptions to heat water or a meal, I made sure that wahtever sort of fuel I can get when reserves are off - I can make use if it, no matter what kind of fuel it is, (including wood).

We talk not about havign a healthy meal every day. We talk emergency: we talk about calories, some variation in tastes (proven tastes that you like, dpo not buy cans you do not like), and water (exlsuively for drinkling).

We also talk medical items, batteries, light both electric and candle. All in big quantities.

Also, passive warming options if heating is off. Texans learned it the hard way these days. By passive I mean clothes, sleeping bags, all of according type and quality. Ask you granparents, if they still live. They still remember easy tricks.

Finally, weapons to defend what you have, and a quarter where you löivbe or where you quickly could move to, that is above average secured, can be defended against plunderers.

A power blackput of lasting quality is somethignt at causes disruptions for severla times as long time as the blackout lasted. One night, a few hours, is one thing.

I am not aiming at wanting to survive the apocalypse - why would anyone want that...? But I want to be bale to comfortbaly sit out sudden shop hord8ng ewars like the toilet aper thing in the early days of corona. and serious desaster for a time of up to 3 months - and I want that reserve beign there every day of the year, with no further preparation needed.

I have integrated parts of the food and household item reserves into my ordinary daily and weekly consume-and-resupply scheme. This kind of rotating stock-keeping is somethign that just 2-3 generations ago was very common and every household, especially if not living in big cities, practiced it. Modern delivery-on-demand is for stupids. Modern, but stupid. Our granparents thought rotating stock-keeping was clever. And it was, and is!

P.S. Stockpile drinking water not in palastic bags, but glas bags. Buy sparkling water, it provides additional desonfecting protection. Have empty storage tools like water bags and canisters and so forth ready, to fill them with usage water if you have time left to get prepared. People often overlook what effect it will be when the toilet flushing is off in a city and for longer time.

And the most important rule: ration form beginning on, since you do not know what is coming and how long it will last.

Have sweets, chocolate,cookies: and lots of them. They chemically boost morale, whcih is reölevant if you are not alone, and have maybe even chilkdren around. Emergencies are the wrong time to think of healthy diets.

I recommend also coconut oil/fat (depends on the temperature only). Easy to store, extrenely versatile, keeps fresh for long wothout needing cooling, and is an excellent energy supplier - AND is more uncritical for health concerns of any kind. Also, it tastes great, I even do it into my coffee sometimes.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-20-21 at 08:43 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-21, 09:11 PM   #216
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I've been talking about "practical disasters" in this thread. Things like floods, tornados, blizzards and heavy snow fall that result in a disaster area.

If you're in a situation where you're looking at long-term hardship (loss of power for more than 4-5 days), bug out. As long as the roads are passable all you need to do is drive 100-400 miles until you see houses with the lights on.

Staying in a disaster area for a prolonged period only opens you up to a greater risk of infections, dysentery, parasites, and bullet wounds. Leave the fighting to the cave men and get out.

Keep your important papers (titles, mortgages, birth certificates, policies, bank records, passports, ID) in a zip-type plastic bag and take it with you.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 09:45 AM   #217
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
3 weeks is still short. Realistically, aim for 3-4 months. That timeframe can be prepared for if you invest a low 4-digit budget, and have the space, one room, to store it.

The reason is simply that if ther eis a nationw ide power blackoput lasting for lets say 3-5 days, it will take weeks and months to bring the poiwergrid back online (assuming that option still exists), a longer power grid is nothign that can be easily turned on again after it was off for that long. Consider sweet water from pipes not comign back before after weeks. Consider that supply line shad failed for mlogn time, and logistics will be seriousl interrupted therefore for longer time than just the power blackout lasted.

Also, passive warming options if heating is off. Texans learned it the hard way these days. By passive I mean clothes, sleeping bags, all of according type and quality. Ask you granparents, if they still live. They still remember easy tricks.

Finally, weapons to defend what you have, and a quarter where you löivbe or where you quickly could move to, that is above average secured, can be defended against plunderers.

A power blackput of lasting quality is somethignt at causes disruptions for severla times as long time as the blackout lasted. One night, a few hours, is one thing.

I am not aiming at wanting to survive the apocalypse - why would anyone want that...? But I want to be bale to comfortbaly sit out sudden shop hord8ng ewars like the toilet aper thing in the early days of corona. and serious desaster for a time of up to 3 months - and I want that reserve beign there every day of the year, with no further preparation needed.

And the most important rule: ration form beginning on, since you do not know what is coming and how long it will last.
True. Three weeks is my target, though I'm sure there's enough food for a couple months. I just don't expect any hurricane or freeze to shut down the trucks to the store for more than that. And you are right, rationing should take effect immediately, as you said, you just don't know how long a disaster will last.

Now, for the collapse of society or something that means stores are empty, power is out, no one has a job for months; that could happen but it would be unprecedented. I really don't have a plan for that, other than return to the ranch and dig in. The neighbors and my family would form a group and I would be guarding cattle from starving Houstonians. I can see it now, I'm engrossed in a book and a desperate band of urbanites overwhelms me. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I've been talking about "practical disasters" in this thread. Things like floods, tornados, blizzards and heavy snow fall that result in a disaster area.

If you're in a situation where you're looking at long-term hardship (loss of power for more than 4-5 days), bug out. As long as the roads are passable all you need to do is drive 100-400 miles until you see houses with the lights on.

Staying in a disaster area for a prolonged period only opens you up to a greater risk of infections, dysentery, parasites, and bullet wounds. Leave the fighting to the cave men and get out.

Keep your important papers (titles, mortgages, birth certificates, policies, bank records, passports, ID) in a zip-type plastic bag and take it with you.
Bug out to where? Hotel in another area? Relatives? Country estate? That could be a problem if the disaster is widespread, lot of people, no place to go. Plus you would need to leave before the disaster, in many cases, to be able to travel. If you can get out and you have a place to go, that would be smart.
Old 02-21-21, 10:19 AM   #218
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Learn from your mistakes
these are not my mistakes, but could very easily be

Old cars if allowed hold treated gasoline (gas gets old)
Old vans with inflatable water tanks inside
Garden supplies include seeds and fertilizer

Wind generators that are laying down on the ground ready to be raised up in an emergency (they make noise)

Male and female animals

Chicken coop

Make sure your septic tank is cleaned every year

Heck with solar panel for power

Get solar panels that circulate water for hot water
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 10:40 AM   #219
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Matthew 6:26

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 11:31 AM   #220
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I do not plan for apocalyptic scenarios and scenarios of lasting social colklapse, becasue you cannot plan for that. And I wonder why I would wish to make it through such an endless scenario.

I plan for temporary and likely scenarios of limited tiomespan. Big blackout. Paper currency collapsing. And since corona for toilet paper shortages.

It is importan thowever that people do not overlook that such scenarios causea rattail of follow-on problems that extend the time of hardship. Many seem to not have this on their radar. The whole stores supply logistic depend on functioning electricty and communication. If these were off for logner time, the whole logistics chain has brojen down, and will not come back to life any time soon just because now there is power in the wire again. Or consider dried-out sweet water pipes, fully infected with all kind of germs and txcines avfter soem days not having held water. The sewages system. It all needs to be cleaned again,a nd started form scratch again. And that will take WEEKS and WEEKS after power came back.

Think long, look far, plan ahead.

I have no car, but cars loose their value if gasoline stations cannot pump out fuel and get no new fuel supplies.

I am getting older, and will find it ever more difficlt to endure pyhsicla challenges of moving around a lot with heavy luggage. The older I get the more my strategy will and must shift to stationary defence. Mobility is for the younger, stronger. Thats the grim truth.

And in the end: why asusming that I will or must live forever? At some oint it becomes mor eimpritant how we face the time we mist die. Crying, yelling and hysterically strampling, or - well, differently? Sooner or laer, everybody of us needs to answer this question, and it will be asked only once and the answer will be irrevocable. Fight fiercly as long as it makes sense, but if it makes no sense anymore, I see nothing wrong in calming down and stop fighting. All ways of living lead us to the moment we die. So...?
Old 02-21-21, 12:21 PM   #221
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

How high the chance is that we will get hit by a killer asteroid or similar I can't say.

The chance for being hit by a massive magnetic solar storm is a lot higher. The positive is...it only hit part of earth. But the power loss will be for month in the areas where it hits...if the country hasn't equip the power thing for this(In Denmark only 6 % has been modified to withstand such a storm)

So plan for more than just these 2-4 weeks.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 12:40 PM   #222
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I live in a VERY small Village.
I have camo and very high powered Air Guns. Totally silent!
I can charge those with a hand pump if need be.
I plan to garner better weapons and supplies when the Urbinites come into my field of fire.
And we all know they will wander out of their big Cities at some point.
Being they will be all bad THINKING they know the land in my area?
Easy kill zone.

I have no issues dropping anyone of it's me or them.
And my Air Guns will hit you in the eye at over 200 yards!
You'd never hear the shot and the Guy next to you would never hear it!
That gives me the next shots!

Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6!
Old 02-21-21, 01:06 PM   #223
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Don't know what is going on inside your head, but the effluent is disturbing to say the least.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 02-21-21, 01:11 PM   #224
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Don't know what is going on inside your head, but the effluent is disturbing to say the least.

Lots of things seem to disturb you.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-21, 01:13 PM   #225
skidman
Ace of the Deep

None of your business.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival