SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-14, 08:01 PM   #1
Coiler
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The loss rate you mentioned of over 33% in that one mission is totally unsustainable in conventional war. So with losses like those, they'll get sortie rates reduced by virtue of running out of fighters, either being shot down or held back to avoid a fruitless sacrifice. So, you have six aircraft taking off again. So far that's 22 sorties. With the original sixteen, so far that's-1.4 (rounded up) sorties per plane per day so far.

Now let's assume the next mission goes completely smoothly. No losses, no damage. Then all six go out and strike again. 28 sorties, sixteen planes. 1.75 sorties per plane per day. At this point there's undeniable wear because this is a frenzied surge. Now if you look at emsoy's post, the 1.75 I calculated is lower than the surge ops rate for more modern fighters-undoubtedly skewed by the high losses in the first strike. This is for surge operations (frenzy-quick followed by a long cooldown). Deliberately planned offensive ops are a different story-during Vietnam, the entire 7th Air Force often only managed one strike package a day in ideal conditions. Anyhow, the devs have already said they want to give scenario designers the option of different ready times for different conditions.
Coiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 02:32 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiler View Post
The loss rate you mentioned of over 33% in that one mission is totally unsustainable in conventional war. So with losses like those, they'll get sortie rates reduced by virtue of running out of fighters, either being shot down or held back to avoid a fruitless sacrifice. So, you have six aircraft taking off again. So far that's 22 sorties. With the original sixteen, so far that's-1.4 (rounded up) sorties per plane per day so far.

Now let's assume the next mission goes completely smoothly. No losses, no damage. Then all six go out and strike again. 28 sorties, sixteen planes. 1.75 sorties per plane per day. At this point there's undeniable wear because this is a frenzied surge. Now if you look at emsoy's post, the 1.75 I calculated is lower than the surge ops rate for more modern fighters-undoubtedly skewed by the high losses in the first strike. This is for surge operations (frenzy-quick followed by a long cooldown). Deliberately planned offensive ops are a different story-during Vietnam, the entire 7th Air Force often only managed one strike package a day in ideal conditions. Anyhow, the devs have already said they want to give scenario designers the option of different ready times for different conditions.
Thank you for your answer

To clear something very important, I'm talking about the time at the base/carrier. from the fighter jet touch ground and to where it stand on the runway ready to take off

I do know it take time for a plane traveling from A to B and back and that's not the issue here.

I do also know that a plane need maintenance after so and so many flight hours, But that is not included in the game, which I wish there was.

Example. In a 4½ day scenario(Vampire Vampire) I let 2 F-14 and 2 F-18 guard the AWACS. None of these 4 fighter was engage in airbattle, when they had bingo fuel they return to the carrier and I order two earlier fighter jets take of. first two F-14 airborn until Bingofuel, before bingofuel I send the two F-18 up a.s.o a.s.o and none of these 4 fighter was removed due to maintenance in real life they would have been.

As I wrote before I do know how things work at a Swedish airbase, in peacetime and in an exercise(as it was a war going on= it is therefore I can't wait for emsoys explanation about the way it is done on a airbase/carrier and why it can take 5-6 hour or more depending the loadout.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 03:33 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Sometime I forget things when writing. it is true that a fighter jet may only have 1.2-2 sortier per day and that has to do with the time in air and/or maintenance or repair if damaged during airbattle or damaged from SAM's or AAA.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote