Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-20, 07:24 PM   #526
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
What happens if a black man shoots a little white boy riding his bike in his yard point blank on purpose?

Oh wait a minute that was last month old news, uh?

That didn't make the news, and the fact checkers on facebook probably say any mention of it is false too. Is there a hear no, speak no, see no evil emoticon? There should be.
Old 08-26-20, 03:26 AM   #527
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yep, and every day hundreds of black men make the decision to comply with the officer, to stay calm, and don't get shot. It's the really stupid people who act like this and draw the short stick. [...]
Agreed.
Quote:
Again, our country's soft-headed justice system is the underlying cause for this, this guy should have been in prison instead of on the street at all.
What does US law say about drunk/"intoxicated" (or crazy people) and wearing fire arms? Who decides?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-20, 11:47 AM   #528
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Interesting.

According to this, the autopsy found that George Floyd had a lethal dose of Fentanyl in his system when he died and the coroner could not determine if it was the Fentanyl overdose or the pressure on the neck, i.e. asphyxiation, that killed him.

https://alphanewsmn.com/george-floyd...tanyl-autopsy/

If true, it means none of the police officers can be convicted of murder since the State will not be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was killed by asphyxiation.
Old 08-26-20, 12:14 PM   #529
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'd hate to think what the response out on the street would be should that happen.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-20, 01:58 PM   #530
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Interesting.

According to this, the autopsy found that George Floyd had a lethal dose of Fentanyl in his system when he died and the coroner could not determine if it was the Fentanyl overdose or the pressure on the neck, i.e. asphyxiation, that killed him.

If true, it means none of the police officers can be convicted of murder since the State will not be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was killed by asphyxiation.
Quote:
The Armed Forces Medical Examiner partially agreed with Dr. Baker, concluding that Floyd’s “death was caused by the police subdual and restraint in the setting of severe hypertensive atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, and methamphetamine and fentanyl intoxication,” per “Exhibit 5.”
However, another document filed to the court, “Exhibit 2,” shows that two independent medical examiners, Dr. Michael Baden and Dr. Allecia Wilson, hired by Floyd’s family attributed his death to “traumatic asphyxia due to the compression of his neck and back during restraint by police.”
Exhibit 2 also notes that Baden and Wilson were “unable to complete their final reports,” as they lacked “microscopic slides, pictures, and other evidence gathered during Dr. Baker’s initial autopsy of Mr. Floyd.”

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-20, 04:48 AM   #531
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
But it is not true. See Aktungbby's post above with exhibits 2 and 5.

"Alphanews" tries to spread a lie.

No surprise: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/alpha-news/
"Overall, we rate Alpha News Questionable based on extreme right bias, poor sourcing of information, promotion of conspiracy theories, and anti-Islamic propaganda, as well as a lack of transparency regarding ownership."

Old 08-27-20, 05:30 AM   #532
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I think a fundamental part of the problem issue is this: in similar situations where the suspect in question is white, the immediate rush to use lethal force is far less than with black/minority suspects; I've seem several situations over the years where a white suspect was wrestled to the ground or even punched/batoned to achieve compliance/arrest and. in similar situations have observed LEOs immediately pull guns on non-white suspects; I recall a night a Black friend of mine, myself, and a few other friends were outside of a rock club when a sort of straight, clean-cut, middle class-looking white guy went full freakout and the LAPD showed up; the guy swung at the officers, knocked down a couple of the offices, threw various heavy objects at them and, finally grabbed a big piece of metal rod and advanced on them; the LAPD officers swarmed the guy and it took about about six of them to put him on the ground and handcuff him after which they stood him up and pushed him into a squad car; one of our friends, a fellow long hair like myself, made the comment, "if that had been one of us, they'd have beaten us bad before they put us in the car", to which my Black friend said, "Hell, if that had been me doing that, they'd have shot me the first time I swung at them"; he made a very good point...

A lot f it is down to the training and the leadership of the law enforcement officers; if they have leadership that tolerates bad conduct by field officer or, perhaps, even encourages it, you're going to have problems; and, if their training emphasizes quick/immediate resort to lethal force, then you're really going to have problems...

When I first moved to LA, about 5 or six months in I had a run in with a couple of plainclothes undercover LAPD officers who confronted me on the street at about 2:30 am without identifying themselves and, when one of them made a move on me, I pulled a knife I carried to defend myself against these strangers; one pulled out a flashlight and a badge and the other pulled out a gun and they ordered me to freeze (hey, it was 1970, they still said things like that); seeing the badge, and importantly, the gun, I complied; they did all the usual, the pat down, the pocket emptying, the ID check for wants and warrants, etc., and when they could find nothing ill in my background, they asked me what I was doing out at that hour and I told them the truth, I worked at a bank data center on the swing shift and I had forgotten something I need the next day in my desk, and, with bus not running after midnight, I was walking back to the center to get what I needed; they also asked me why I don't stop when they first approached me and I asked why they didn't identify themselves as LAPD when they accosted me; just before they cut me loose, one officer took my knife, folded back up, handed it to me asking why I was carrying it; I told him "Because you never know when some SOB is gonna come up on you on a dark street and accost you"; both officers shot me dark glances, turned, got back into their beat up pickup truck (LAPD sometimes use the odd vehicle for undercover) and drove away...

I told some of my coworkers about the incident and they were aghast and shocked; I told them I was just lucky I wasn't arrested; they said "Man, that's they LAPD, you're lucky you weren't shot!!"; they then began to explain to me the facts of life regarding dealing with the LAPD, at the time; it was sort of the non-Black version of "The Talk" Black kids get from their parents about dealing with LEOs...

I've known good cops and I've known bad cops, including one who was notorious official in the Hollywood Vice Squad, and I've got to say, overll I've seen more good than bad, but the bad do get all the headlines; 'it bleeds, it leads', as they say; the LAPD has really undergone remarkable changes for the better since the Old Guard leadership was swept away after they botched the response to the 1994 LA Riots, particularly after a really good GOP mayor who put problem-solving over politics took office and got NYPD's Bill Bratton to come in as LAPD Chief and clean house in the Department; its a lot harder for the marginal cops to get away with misconduct...

<O>
Old 08-27-20, 05:53 AM   #533
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Here's a followup on the June riot and looting that took place in the LA area in June; there have been dozens of arrests and more are coming; the suspicion/conclusion I had formed that the bulk of the damage was the result of organized criminal elements is being borne out by the announcement by this Joint Task Force:

Task force announces several dozen arrests tied to recent massive protests in L.A. County --

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/08/26...in-l-a-county/

...TV coverage of the same:

I don't know about other areas, but, if you watched the news coverage in the LA area, particularly aerial news coverage, it was pretty obvious the looting was coordinated by elements not at all associated with the protests; in fact, in all the news coverage I saw, from all the different lootings in all the different cities, the destruction and theft was centered in areas at least a half-mile away from the main protest bodies, and, in the case of here in Hollywood, the attempted looting was a full mile away from the protesters; in all cases I saw, the looter swaited until the protests had moved away from their targets, along with the LEOs riding herd on the marchers before descending like locusts on their objectives; there was about a week of protest, and the LEOs got really good about halfway through with sussing out the game the looters were playing and how they were working it; about a month ago, one of those arrested was found to have been an employee of a security service who would have had knowledge of retail security; he was charged with the arson fire of a Long Beach store set ti try to destroy evidence of the looting there; unfortunately for him, and a lot of the other miscreants and thugs, aside from the usual surveillance systems, there are an awful lot of non-looters with phone cameras who were only too happy too pass on their footage to the authorities...

<O>
Old 08-27-20, 06:25 AM   #534
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
But it is not true. See Aktungbby's post above with exhibits 2 and 5.

"Alphanews" tries to spread a lie.

No surprise: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/alpha-news/
"Overall, we rate Alpha News Questionable based on extreme right bias, poor sourcing of information, promotion of conspiracy theories, and anti-Islamic propaganda, as well as a lack of transparency regarding ownership."
no, everything I said was correct.

First, "MediaBiasFactCheck" is not a legitimate org, it is a bunch of left wing activists, so their "opinion" is meaningless. Second, the article includes links to the actual court exhibits which you can read yourself. If you had, you would see that the article faithfully reports what is in the actual exhibits.

Now that we have that nonsense out of the way, let's look at the actual facts.

There were three reports, the 1st, by the official medical examiner concludes Floyd had a "fatal level" of Fentanyl in his system and that he saw "no physical evidence suggesting" he "died of asphyxiation". So Floyd could have died anyway that day from an overdose, even without the police action. So the 1st report basically says the Fentanyl is what killed him.

The second, by the Armed Forces Medical Examiner concluded the death was caused by "police restraint in the setting of severe" heart" disease, and...fentanyl intoxication". So the 2nd report says he died because of a combination of police restraint, underlyng health issues and a drug overdose.

The third report was by examiners hired by the Floyd family and seems to be based only on the video evidence. It concludes Floyd died from asphyxiation.

So three experts report which all come to different conclusions. Which is correct? Well in a sense, it does not matter, the prosecution cannot pick and choose the one it likes best. The prosecution has to prove its case, including the cause of death, beyond a reasonable doubt.

The official County medical examiner concluding he was probably killed by the Fentanyl overdose and not by asphyxiation is a classic case of "reasonable doubt" which logically would lead to the acquittal of all 4 from a charge of murder. You cannot convict someone of murder if you cannot prove that it was his actions that was the direct cause of death.

Note that that does not mean that Chauvin at least, might not be guilty of a lesser offence, like involuntary manslaughter. For example, you punch someone in the face and he dies of a heart attack because of it. You are not guilty of murder because it was not your intention to kill him, but you could be guilty of manslaughter because it was your illegal action, i.e. the punch, that led to his death.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 08-27-20 at 06:35 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-20, 08:44 AM   #535
Catfish

Two links Aktungbby provided. Do you know what sickle cell trait is?

http://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgov/...t508252020.pdf

http://www.mncourts.gov/getattachmen...spx?lang=en-US

You can read about "Alphanews" bias yourself i guess, it is all over the net.

Old 08-27-20, 10:04 AM   #536
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Two links Aktungbby provided. Do you know what sickle cell trait is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle_cell_disease
Quote:
As of 2015, about 4.4 million people have sickle cell disease, while an additional 43 million have sickle cell trait. About 80% of sickle cell disease cases are believed to occur in Sub-Saharan Africa. It also occurs relatively frequently in parts of India, the Arabian Peninsula, and among people of African origin living in other parts of the world.In 2015, it resulted in about 114,800 deaths.The condition was first described in the medical literature by American physician James B. Herrick in 1910.In 1949, its genetic transmission was determined by E. A. Beet and J. V. Neel. In 1954, the protective effect against malaria of sickle cell trait was described. About 90% of people survive to age 20, and close to 50% survive beyond age 50. In 2001, according to one study performed in Jamaica, the estimated mean survival for people was 53 years for men and 58 years for women with homozygous SCD. The specific life expectancy in much of the developing world is unknown. In 1975 about 7.3% of people with SCD died before their 23rd birthday; while in 1989 2.6% of people with SCD died by the age of 20.
A person can have a mixture of normal and faulty hemoglobin in their red blood cells without having sickle cell disease. This condition is called "sickle cell trait." People with sickle cell trait have enough normal hemoglobin in their red blood cells to prevent the cells from sickling. One in 12 African Americans in the United States has sickle cell trait. It's important to remember that people with sickle cell trait do not have sickle cell disease. They also usually do not develop sickle cell disease, except in unusual circumstances. However, people with sickle cell trait can genetically pass the trait to their children. If two people with sickle cell trait have children together, there is a 1 in 4 chance that their children will have sickle cell anemia.https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/4579-sickle-cell-anemia

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-20, 02:59 PM   #537
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
But a fuller picture is slowly emerging. Here’s a brief look at what we know.

It began, as officer-involved shootings often do, with a call to the police. The dispatcher told the cops that a woman had called, and that Blake “isn’t supposed to be there and he took the complainant’s keys and is refusing to give them back.” (An attorney for Blake’s family has said Blake was trying to break up a fight between two women.) The dispatcher also told officers that there was a “wanted” alert for someone at the address; indeed, Blake had a warrant for his arrest based on charges of third-degree sexual assault, trespassing, and disorderly conduct in connection with domestic abuse.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...lake-shooting/
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-20, 03:42 PM   #538
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

This I'm convinced of.

The coming trial of the accused police officers, will be a battle of Forensic technique and evidence between the lawyers.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-20, 05:27 PM   #539
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
So further evidence he wasn't doing anything.....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-20, 10:10 PM   #540
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

"Who" wasn't doing anything? What? Blake wasn't doing anything? Is that what you're saying?

Blake was at his gf's house and she wanted him to leave her alone. She called the cops to have him remoeved because he wouldn't leave when asked.

Cops get there, discover this guy has a felony warrant out on him for "sexual assault". They are obligated by to arrest him and bring him in.

The rest is obvious.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-27-20 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added warrant image
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
police, riots