Closed Thread

Old 03-27-20, 11:45 AM   #9016
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Malta, Slovakia and the Czech Republic -all of which are Schengen countries- announced they close their borders on March 13.

So, again, no permission from EU needed.
Three countries took it upon thrmselves to finally close their borders 4 months into the outbreak but according Schengen laws can only do so for up to 30 days. afterwhich what happens then? any idea? Does the appointed president extend it or do they have to leave the Union? What about the others in the beloved union who waited to jump only after your appointed president 'politely advised' doing so? so much for the idea of sovereigns having the best interests of their subjects in mind huh? Furthermore not all Schengen Area particants have closed their borders with each other either. For example Germany, France, Poland business as usual. Your infectons and deaths keep growing and growing and growing. Face facts the E.U. leadership is a bunch of idiots leading their 400 million plus population right down same road as everyone else.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 03-27-20, 12:15 PM   #9017
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Three countries took it upon thrmselves to finally close their borders 4 months into the outbreak but according Schengen laws can only do so for up to 30 days. afterwhich what happens then? any idea? Does the appointed president extend it or do they have to leave the Union?
After the 30 day period, the nation then evaluates if it can open borders or not. The EU has no say in that other than offering opinion, it has no veto power over that.

Quote:
What about the others in the beloved union who waited to jump only after your appointed president 'politely advised' doing so? so much for the idea of sovereigns having the best interests of their subjects in mind huh?
This is really a 'chicken or egg' question. I've not heard anyone in our government here in Finland say that we are closing borders because it was suggested, or that we got a permission to do so. So, was it the numerous EU nations already planning/discussing closing their borders that made EU announce it or vice versa?

Quote:
Furthermore not all Schengen Area particants have closed their borders with each other either. For example Germany, France, Poland business as usual. Your infectons and deaths keep growing and growing and growing. Face facts the E.U. leadership is a bunch of idiots leading their 400 million plus population right down same road as everyone else.
Well, first of all what you say about not all internal borders being closed is true which in turn further shows that each nation acts independently without orders or permissions from the EU in this matter. As to your second point, again nations make the decision to close borders. I'm not sure what you're not understanding about this all, but man does it get tiring having to repeat the same thing over and over.
Old 03-27-20, 01:16 PM   #9018
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
After the 30 day period, the nation then evaluates if it can open borders or not. The EU has no say in that other than offering opinion, it has no veto power over that.

This is really a 'chicken or egg' question. I've not heard anyone in our government here in Finland say that we are closing borders because it was suggested, or that we got a permission to do so. So, was it the numerous EU nations already planning/discussing closing their borders that made EU announce it or vice versa?

Well, first of all what you say about not all internal borders being closed is true which in turn further shows that each nation acts independently without orders or permissions from the EU in this matter. As to your second point, again nations make the decision to close borders. I'm not sure what you're not understanding about this all, but man does it get tiring having to repeat the same thing over and over.

Schengen Area infections 289,000 deaths: 17,400

Seems like the world is filled with idiots. Oh, and good luck with your illusion of sovereignty.

Old 03-27-20, 01:29 PM   #9019
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:

IMO, anytime someone suggests "closing the border" there's a wave of knee-jerk reactions against it. Illegals flooding in? Close the border. That's racist!
With this pandemic, the US should close its borders to Finland, for example.
And Finland should close its border to the US.

No hard feelings, we're in this together and errecting firebreaks is good for you and me.

The Trumpmeister still has not shut down domestic air travel. Yeah, so, thousands of New Yorkers are spreading out across the country.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trump_virus.jpg (86.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-27-20, 01:34 PM   #9020
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Oh, and good luck with your illusion of sovereignty.
Ok, seriously. Tell me what you are having hard time with and I try my best and explain it as easily as I can.

I can start with this:
Quote:
The Schengen Borders Code provides Member States with the capability of temporarily reintroducing border control at the internal borders in the event that a serious threat to public policy or internal security has been established.

The reintroduction of border control at the internal borders must remain an exception and must respect the principle of proportionality. The scope and duration of such a temporary reintroduction of border control at the internal borders is limited in time and should be restricted to the bare minimum needed to respond to the threat in question. Reintroducing border control at the internal border should only ever be used as a measure of last resort.

The reintroduction of border control is a prerogative of the Member States. The Commission may issue an opinion with regard to the necessity of the measure and its proportionality but cannot veto such a decision if it is taken by a Member State.
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...der-control_en
Old 03-27-20, 01:42 PM   #9021
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
IMO, anytime someone suggests "closing the border" there's a wave of knee-jerk reactions against it. Illegals flooding in? Close the border. That's racist!
With this pandemic, the US should close its borders to Finland, for example.
And Finland should close its border to the US.
The knee-jerk reaction is more so about the reasoning behind the border closure than anything else. Building a wall to prevent S.Americans from entering the US because they cause crime (eventho studies say they are less eager to commit crimes because they might be discovered to be illegals) and trying to stop a pandemic are two very different things. In my mind at least.
Quote:
No hard feelings, we're in this together and errecting firebreaks is good for you and me.
Just keep the titty movies flowing through the interwebs this way and I'm happy.

Quote:
The Trumpmeister still has not shut down domestic air travel. Yeah, so, thousands of New Yorkers are spreading out across the country.
And this is something that can be compared directly to the EU for example. I'm not familiar if states can close their borders from out-of-state travellers over there, but here we atleast have that option (with nations).

(Sorry for double-post)
Old 03-27-20, 01:44 PM   #9022
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Schengen Area infections 289,000 deaths: 17,400
wait for it..
Quote:
Seems like the world is filled with idiots. Oh, and good luck with your illusion of sovereignty.
What do you mean with sovereignty here?
We are quite happy we can help each other out, from hospital beds to medicine, to technical support. It was very dumb to close the borders one after another, with delays. A general directive to stay home for all of Europe and then concentrate on the infection centers would have been much more helpful. But with Romania, Hungary and now Poland we are stuck in the 20ieth century

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 03-27-20 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 02:03 PM   #9023
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

As late as MARCH 11th this idiot is still saying this! Sad thing is you keep voting her in office.

Quote:
March 11, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said, “In Germany, we believe that border closings are not the answer to fight the spread of the Covid-19 epidemic.” Her sentiment was echoed later that day by German Health Minister Jens Spahn, who stated, “We are not going to get rid of the virus by closing our borders. The virus is already with us and we have to get used to the idea.”

On March 15, the German newspaper Bild reported that Merkel was still blocking all attempts by members of her cabinet to impose border controls. The infighting, however, had cost Germany valuable time in trying to contain the spread of the virus.

Writing for the influential German blog Tichys Einblick, commentator Ferdinand Knauss, explained that Merkel was blocking border controls because the dogma of open borders is an ideological pillar of Merkelism:

“In that fateful year of 2015, the ‘open borders’ became a conditio sine qua non [indispensable condition] for the continuation of Merkelism. That is why the dogma must be maintained. Merkel knows that the instruction to close the border, in general to take consistent national measures to protect her own citizens, would be tantamount to her own declaration of political bankruptcy.
Idiots in politics the world is filled with them

Old 03-27-20, 02:05 PM   #9024
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Oops!
Thought this was the US POLITICS thread.
Old 03-27-20, 02:09 PM   #9025
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Oops!
Thought this was the US POLITICS thread.
how observant of you my friend
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 03-27-20, 02:19 PM   #9026
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

1 March 2020

“Finland is well prepared to now manage the individual cases to detect and then respond, so that further infections are very unlikely” says Taneli Puumalainen, THL’s Chief Medical Officer.

16 March 2020

Finland declares state of emergency

Hope your grand system of government can handle it
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ate-high-taxes

Old 03-27-20, 02:28 PM   #9027
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

And this is US POLITICS how?
Old 03-27-20, 02:31 PM   #9028
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
And this is US POLITICS how?
Old 03-27-20, 02:33 PM   #9029
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Old 03-27-20, 02:50 PM   #9030
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Is that a call back from god?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter