SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-11-08, 09:21 PM   #1
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7
Default torpedo plane

Anyone know the altitude for a torpedo plane? I know some in WWII flew low to try to stay under the guns. But I don't know what it should be in the mission editor.

Oh, and could someone find me some new pilots? I sent two flights of 4 bombers each. and then two flights of 3 torpedo plans each and they damaged ONE ship, didn't even sink it. And that was a bomb, the torpedo planes didn't hit anything.

I am trying to recreate the Battle of Bismark Sea and it was fought mostly from the air, but this isn't going to work unless the planes start hitting something. I am starting to think the first thing that is going to get hit is my sub.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 09:32 PM   #2
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

The stock air torp for the american side is bugged up, I think there's a fix for your torpedo planes doing nothing theory.
Old 03-11-08, 10:25 PM   #3
peabody
Admiral

Thanks Lagger,
I'll do a search for a fix, if not I was going to add some dive bombers anyway, maybe they can do something.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 03-11-08, 10:30 PM   #4
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 1

The torpedo for the Japanese side is non-functional. The american torpedo's work fine in 1.5 but the planes have issues putting them in anything but a stationary target. I tried for hours trying to get my Kate's to torpedo my sub. The plane flies in too far forward, as if it misjudges the distance or speed of the contact. Then, at the last moment, it will try to correct by banking at your position. When that happens, the release goes wide due to the turn the plane is trying to make. It results in the torpedo arriving at the contact to soon, thus missing. I tried everything from Torpedo range, aircraft height etc... nothing worked.

...It was at this point, Captain AkbarGulag realised how green his crew was..."
AkbarGulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 10:51 PM   #5
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkbarGulag
The torpedo for the Japanese side is non-functional. The american torpedo's work fine in 1.5 but the planes have issues putting them in anything but a stationary target. I tried for hours trying to get my Kate's to torpedo my sub. The plane flies in too far forward, as if it misjudges the distance or speed of the contact. Then, at the last moment, it will try to correct by banking at your position. When that happens, the release goes wide due to the turn the plane is trying to make. It results in the torpedo arriving at the contact to soon, thus missing. I tried everything from Torpedo range, aircraft height etc... nothing worked.
Thank you AkbarGulag for the help, I guess I won't waste any time with torpedo planes, and if none of the other planes do any better I may have to scrap the Bismark Sea battle all together, since it was almost completely won by air. Although the topedo planes in real life had difficulty finding the convoy due to bad weater and only two found it and neither scored any hits, so I guess so far it's true.

Peabody

Old 03-11-08, 11:43 PM   #6
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Just so you know peabody. for a quick test, just chuck the american torpedo linkname on a plane and you will see the plane drops them.

The reason it MAY be worth testing on a ship like bismark, is because it is much longer than a submarine. For example, if the plane aims at the centre of the bismark, more of the forward area will cross the torpedo's path than a sumbarines would. BUT, if the planes miss a few time, you know not to waste time modifying thing to make it work. It either will or it won't

The one thing that will look cool in that scenario, is torpedo planes do not come in from height... they fly in VERY low. You can set them as low as 20 metres and no crashes. They also come in low from a long range, meaning you dont see them drop from the sky like other aircraft.

Old 03-12-08, 11:24 AM   #7
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkbarGulag
Just so you know peabody. for a quick test, just chuck the american torpedo linkname on a plane and you will see the plane drops them.

The reason it MAY be worth testing on a ship like bismark, is because it is much longer than a submarine. For example, if the plane aims at the centre of the bismark, more of the forward area will cross the torpedo's path than a sumbarines would. BUT, if the planes miss a few time, you know not to waste time modifying thing to make it work. It either will or it won't

The one thing that will look cool in that scenario, is torpedo planes do not come in from height... they fly in VERY low. You can set them as low as 20 metres and no crashes. They also come in low from a long range, meaning you dont see them drop from the sky like other aircraft.
I don't know what you mean by "chuck the linkname"

And you misunderstood, I am not sinking the Bismark, I am recreating the Battle of the Bismark Sea in the Pacific, Japan was trying to resupply and reinforce it's troops on New Guinea.

I knew they came in low but wasn't sure how well the game would handle it. I have them set now for 40m which I think is too high, thanks for the info on 20m. I start them off high becuse they have to pass over some land and I don't know if there are mountains then I have them drop at a waypoint that I placed right at the edge of the sea. So by the time they reach the convoy they are low all the way in. My biggest problem is, I can hear them but I can't see them, so I don't know if they dropped the torps and missed or just didn't drop at all. And when I finally do see them they are too far away to tell if they have a torp or not.

Peabody

Old 03-13-08, 05:03 AM   #8
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

Create a single mission with a large ship, like a carrier steaming in one direction. Put your sub nearby but at a negative height, so you begin submerged... about 60 metres.

Then have the planes waypointed to intercept the carrier. You can sit there in perfect conditions and see the result then.

Old 03-13-08, 12:12 PM   #9
peabody
Admiral

Good idea AkbarGulag, I'll try that, now I'm getting a feel for the editor it shouldn't take me long to set that up. thanks
Edit: one question, about how far out do they drop, so bascially I'm asking should I be facing the incoming planes with the ship between us or have them fly over me toward the ship?
Peabody

Old 03-13-08, 09:21 PM   #10
AkbarGulag
Samurai Navy

The planes drop the torpedo's from about 800-1000 metres. It doesnt matter what the maximum distance is on the torpedo, the planes drop from the same distance everytime. If that could be changed, the torpedo planes mught actually be effective. But I have no idea where in the game engine it is dictated. Someone else may?

Put your sub right underneath the carrier if you want. It doesnt matter since you will be in free-cam and merely watching. Spawn the planes about 10km from contact.