SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-07, 05:06 AM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default NCP FC+NWP Mod worth buying if (...)?

Given:

(1) Fleet Command wasn't very realistic, but there is an NWP mod which resolves most issues.

(2) Jane's Fleet Command was buggy and unstable, but the NCP bundle resolves these problems under XP.

(3) I already own both the original SC (working fine on my PC; no flashing) and DW.

(4) I have no interest in 688i.

(5) I own three versions of Harpoon: H3 ANW, H3 3.6.3, and HCCE (just released).

Question:

Is the NCP bundle with Fleet Command worth buying? Or are all my various versions of Harpoon going to do a better job of simulating Naval Operations such that Fleet Command will not be worth my time even at $20 USD, working under XP, and improved by the NWP mod?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-07, 01:58 PM   #2
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

What's the NWP mod ? *Interest peaked*
Fleet Command is actually a pretty good game
I had all the games from the Naval Combat Pack before I purchased it. My reasoning was "If I keep my old disks.. I have old installers on there.. I will have to go through the trouble of finding the patches for them and god help me if eventually they get support dropped and the patches dissapear..."
So I bought the pack. That way, I have installers that will work on XP, as well as all the latest update patches already in there. I wasn't extremely impressed with the DVD that came with it, but it was a nice little extra. It's a nice little extra that does a decent job of describing the history of submarines on a newbie level.
Old 11-25-07, 02:46 PM   #3
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

NWP-FC:

http://forums.navalwarfare.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Old 11-28-07, 02:34 AM   #4
NefariousKoel
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

NWP is a great mod for FC.

I have a few issues with using it & FC, however:

1) Nobody updates their user-created scenarios. Many that come with the mod aren't compatible and there doesn't seem to be hardly any coming out.

2) FC has a jerky graphics bug on WinXP. The XP fix helps a bit but it's still there so the ocean, rain, and the vessel you have hooked in the 3D window stutter constantly. Even after adjusting video effects.

3) While extra units were added, it's still not even close to the variety I'd prefer.

4) ASW: NWP improved ASW quite a bit, but I still feel like subhunting is too easy. It's just the way FC was made.

5) Along with other very minor annoyances that most games have - such as being a real pain trying to target missiles that are too close together. There's always ones I can't hook when seconds count.

I also own H3 3.6.3 and HCE (recent purchase). I'd definitely say HCE is my preferred medium now for numerous reasons. Interface, variety of many sorts, and relatively low on outright bugginess.
Old 12-01-07, 03:03 AM   #5
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

What are the diferences between Fleet Command and DW? They looked pretty similar to me.
Old 12-01-07, 06:35 AM   #6
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
What are the diferences between Fleet Command and DW? They looked pretty similar to me.
HUGE differences

FC is like Harpoon series, but with emphasis on having a viewable 3D environment. Some of the interface may be familiar to those used to Sc and DW, but it's a command simulation, not a platform simulation.

DW in turn is an evolved version of SC, you command ships from inside, with direct access to sensors, weapons and such. In Fleet command you do everything by context menus and never are inside the units.

True that DW and Sc can be played with all stations in auto mode and using only the context menus in the tactical map. That resembles a bit the FC style. But you are limited to controlling one platform (Except the frigate where you can control its helos) while in FC you command up to entire fleets.
Old 12-07-07, 01:58 PM   #7
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
HUGE differences

FC is like Harpoon series, but with emphasis on having a viewable 3D environment. Some of the interface may be familiar to those used to Sc and DW, but it's a command simulation, not a platform simulation.

DW in turn is an evolved version of SC, you command ships from inside, with direct access to sensors, weapons and such. In Fleet command you do everything by context menus and never are inside the units.

True that DW and Sc can be played with all stations in auto mode and using only the context menus in the tactical map. That resembles a bit the FC style. But you are limited to controlling one platform (Except the frigate where you can control its helos) while in FC you command up to entire fleets.
So it's more of a strategic sim?
Old 12-07-07, 02:38 PM   #8
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Fleet Command is like the Harpoon series. It's like you're in the Navy Command Center in the Pentagon calling all the shots.

Dangerous Waters is an actual simulator that puts you inside a single vessel (Oliver Hazard Perry FFG, MH-60R Helicoptor, P3-C Orion airplane, Seawolf Sub, Los Angeles Improved class sub 688i, Russian Kilo SS or Improved class, Akula 1 Improved, Akula II, or the Chinese Kilo SS and Kilo Improved class subs.)

In Dangerous Waters, your butt is there in combat. Fleet Command and Harpoon have you calling the shots from Naval Command.

I play Harpoon3 Advanced Naval Warfare and prefer that a LOT over Fleet Command. I havn't tried Harpoon Comanders Edition yet.

I love my Dangerous Waters and Harpoon3 ANW.

Last edited by Blacklight; 12-07-07 at 02:57 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote