SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-19, 05:17 AM   #76
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

What's immensely interesting, to me, is this psychological conditioning of the next generation. I am not saying it is good or bad, but apparently it is real, and I hope I am around long enough to see it play out.

Quote:
he reminded me of my own childhood. About 20 years ago, I was at a restaurant with my parents, reading a kid’s science magazine below the table. In a small box at the bottom of the page, it mentioned something called the greenhouse effect, caused by cars and factories. The effect could eventually screw up the entire planet’s environment.

My head jolted up. I interrupted my parents’ conversation, which was about something boring, like real-estate prices or which highway to take home.

“Is this real?” I asked, pointing at the magazine.

Oh yeah, definitely, one of them said.

“Is it getting fixed?” I said.

No, no, people don’t really know how to fix it.

And then I remember feeling something constrict in my chest. It was like the adult feeling of learning that a loved one is in danger, of seeing the comfortable world teeter on its axis. There was a problem with the entire planet, and everyone was just allowing it to go on?

In 1999, Caldwell was older than I am now, and the United States had virtually no national climate policy. Since then, I have gone to middle school and high school, graduated from college, moved across the country twice, spent years as a technology reporter, and covered climate change for four years. Since then, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has soared from 364 to 415 parts per million. But since then, the United States still has passed virtually no new national climate policy.
So, imagine, in developed countries at least (undeveloped countries aint got no time for this foolishness); people in the next generation will elect to turn away from our standard of living, travel, commuting, and building to "save" the planet. Maybe even enact laws to limit population. Interesting.
Old 09-26-19, 06:27 AM   #77
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Rising sea levels?

I honour the silliness of this ^ with this reply:

Comparisons only make sense when comparing what is comparable and intermitting variables get systematically deleted. Else you end up with comparing apples with oranges.

In New Orleans they have significantly raised the height of the floodgates and dikes. Same they do in parts of Europe'S atlantic coast, especially the Netherlands. I wonder why.

The fact of a warming and rasing sea levels is not to be denied. My quarrel is with a.) the total values and the timetables given, b.) the belief that the planetary climate can be tackled so easily like they imply with the actionism of today, c.) the weighing of natural versus man-made causes for climate chnage, d.) the abuse of climate change arguments and claims for implementing massive wealth redistributions schemes across the globe and derstroyiong capitalism and market economy, and e.) that said actionism costs the resources that imo would be better invested in learning and implementing adaptation to life in a warmer world and with higher sea levels along coastline areas. I thus disagree with the consequences they conclude on, not so much with the phenomenon of global warming itself. Everybody talks about preventing climate change. I talk about adaptation to it.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-26-19 at 06:39 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 07:46 AM   #78
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

I don't know if climate change is a problem that will cause a mass extinction as Saint Greta has hysterically told us. I can excuse what a sadly misinformed teenage says because teenagers say that kind of thing all the time. It's the adult enablers that I have a problem with. I just don't believe that they really believe their own dire predictions.

How many of them actually live a lifestyle that indicates that a mass extinction is coming. How many of them still live and work in air conditioned comfort? How many of them own cars and use them to go almost everywhere? An electric car is not much better because without fossil fuels the car could not be built and powered. How many of them still jet to vacation spots around the world? How many of them eat fresh food that is grown and transported to them by fossil fuel burning trucks? How many of them have all manner of electronic devices which a built with fossil fuel materials? I would say by casual observation that most of these climate alarmists haven't made any significant lifestyle change. Let's face it, if they really believed this there would be noticeable changes in society. Banning plastic straws isn't going to get the job done.

I don't think they really believe it but they want me to believe it. Show me that you really believe it and I'll start to pay attention.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 10:00 AM   #79
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://translate.google.de/translat..._11185339.html

Her view of things must be seen in context. And the context must include her Asperger personality and mind, including the inherent imbalance and explosive temper that is also part of her biography.

Like the author, I am quite convinced that she does not stage or plays a role only, but that she is authentic. Which is what makes it so worrying seeing people blindly following her.

I am not about denouncing Asperger patients or ridiculing Greta for being one. But I want attention being paid to what that automatically means and implies. Media and public attention ignore it for fear of being politically incorrect and discriminating Asperger people if they point out that these people are "not normal". But hell, I cannot help it, the norm is a defined majority standard - and Aspergers are not normal. Its not as if they are impure, but they are different, and that brings both positve and negative differences.

It is a mistake to let an Asperger personality with its typical black-white-painting and pedantic fanatism define the world for all. Its dangerous. These people must learn to adapt to the world around them that is so different than they are themselves. And many, although not all, can learn to adapt to it, and by that interact smoother with other people and other opinions and other views. I have absolutely not the impression that Greta alraedy is there and that her family environment is overly healthy for her. And she is known for having episodes of total loss of control over temper and screaming attacks if she does not get her will or something happens that she does not like.

She has a lot to learn, still. For the time being, she is an interested child with both serious issues and a fanatical, obsessive interest in something that makes her seing the world black and white only. This obsessive interest for something makes Asperger people easily polarisizing, paintign things blakc and white, and necessarly attracting conflict.
Old 09-26-19, 10:38 AM   #80
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
I don't think they really believe it but they want me to believe it. Show me that you really believe it and I'll start to pay attention.

Last edited by em2nought; 09-26-19 at 10:40 AM. Reason: better image
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-19, 01:21 PM   #81
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

I'm trying to understand the "logic" of some people in this thread:

One famous person says something about preventing global warming, this famous person also uses private jets/lives in a big house/etc., and this proves you shouldn't try to prevent global warming how? (The last bit involves an unspoken premise, but pretty darn obvious. One could also argue it's a strawman...but let's face, the unspoken premise is pretty goshdarndiddly obvious)
Old 09-26-19, 05:26 PM   #82
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
I'm trying to understand the "logic" of some people in this thread:

One famous person says something about preventing global warming, this famous person also uses private jets/lives in a big house/etc., and this proves you shouldn't try to prevent global warming how? (The last bit involves an unspoken premise, but pretty darn obvious. One could also argue it's a strawman...but let's face, the unspoken premise is pretty goshdarndiddly obvious)
The point is that those people are then hipocritical and quite possibly are campaigning for reasons other than combating climate change. When combined with known cases of combating climate change being used as a vehicle to deliver radical left wing ideas rather than to actually contructively deal with the problem.....

https://republic.ru/posts/94791?utm_...m_campaign=all
An article in Russian.
Old 09-26-19, 08:29 PM   #83
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
The point is that those people are then hipocritical and quite possibly are campaigning for reasons other than combating climate change. When combined with known cases of combating climate change being used as a vehicle to deliver radical left wing ideas rather than to actually contructively deal with the problem.....

https://republic.ru/posts/94791?utm_...m_campaign=all
An article in Russian.
Yes, what he said.

Plus, I don't like being moralized to.

Also, all the people who are so gung ho about stopping climate change have no idea how much sacrifice and change in our lives it will take to have any meaningful effect.
Old 09-26-19, 10:00 PM   #84
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yes, what he said.

Also, all the people who are so gung ho about stopping climate change have no idea how much sacrifice and change in our lives it will take to have any meaningful effect.
But even a small change multiplied by millions makes a difference. There are some fairly easy things that can be done with only a small amount of effort by individuals. Recycling for one.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 04:39 AM   #85
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Yes, lets recycle here in the west while China builds 3000 more coal plants instead.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 03:50 PM   #86
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Yes, what he said.

Me either, especially when 99% of it is not about the environment but about politics and increasing government power. All these Eco-Nut plans and New Deals will crash against reality and human nature and if they actually succeed in making a meaningful effect on climate change it's only because their ridiculous ideas enacted into law have destabilized society to the point that it causes a major human die off in old fashioned ways like mass starvation and war.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 05:36 PM   #87
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
But even a small change multiplied by millions makes a difference. There are some fairly easy things that can be done with only a small amount of effort by individuals. Recycling for one.
Maybe. I don't know exactly how much is required, pretty sure no one does. I really feel in my gut that it is not going to be as easy as people think. Seems like the eco people believe we can all agree to do something and make changes, and the problem is solved.
Old 09-27-19, 08:20 PM   #88
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Maybe. I don't know exactly how much is required, pretty sure no one does. I really feel in my gut that it is not going to be as easy as people think. Seems like the eco people believe we can all agree to do something and make changes, and the problem is solved.

It took longer for modern "man" to make a website for Obama Care than it did for those ol' timers to win WW2 if that's any indicator?

Last edited by em2nought; 09-27-19 at 08:22 PM. Reason: elaborate on how much more people suck than they did before
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-19, 06:31 PM   #89
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Look what I have found. The authors allege that (relative to the local norm) cold weather kills people, across various climates and geographies. And that the global warming may actually decrease the number of deaths, even after accounting for heat waves and natural disasters.
Old 09-28-19, 11:54 PM   #90
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

OMG...I never heard her speak. Just saw a snipper. She's INSANELY full of herself!!!