SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-08, 07:30 AM   #1
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Default Scope laser rangefinder?

Any idea if it would be possible to add a medium range undetectable radar to the periscope mast in order to simulate a laser rangefider? :hmm:
Old 12-15-08, 10:50 AM   #2
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Hola Hitman, tuporaqui!

A radar can be added, but I'm not sure about how you could mark the objetive with this "radar"...

A possible solution is to simulate this with a script, somekind off: if xx detected and make photo of xx then give range to player.
I said "photo" and no "mark" because the tests I've made for another similar thing (detecting neutral or enemy civilian ships) revealed that the "can refire" doctrine doesn't work with mark but it does with photo.

The drawback of this is that you have to create this script for each surface object... (a matter of copy-paste and edit each one once you've made the first)
Old 12-16-08, 05:48 AM   #3
FERdeBOER
XO

OK, I've tested it and it works perfectly, each time yo make a photo, te position is revealed on the navmap.

Of course you have to make the script for each unit...
Old 12-16-08, 08:54 AM   #4
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERdeBOER
OK, I've tested it and it works perfectly, each time yo make a photo, te position is revealed on the navmap.

Of course you have to make the script for each unit...

I'm sorry but doesn't the stadimeter give you the same information ?
That is the distance to the contact. Why would you want to introduce a new "virtual" sensor that works as the stadimeter.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-08, 10:47 AM   #5
FERdeBOER
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
That is the distance to the contact. Why would you want to introduce a new "virtual" sensor that works as the stadimeter.
You're right, I was just answering Hitman's question.

BTW... I'm a disaster using the stadimeter
Old 12-16-08, 03:56 PM   #6
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

I should point out that warships have laser detectors so beaming a enemy with a laser range finder is kinda like saying "here I am I'm going to shoot at you".

So if a visual senser were added a counterdetecting sensor would have to be added too. Which if you want to be undetected brings us back to using the standimeter.

Also you could ping your target and gain more info on the surounding area since your already giving away your position. :hmm:

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 10:19 AM   #7
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Have you used it much? I have, and trust me, it doesn't work well at all The problems/reasons I want it are several: First of all the mast heigth is given as reference in the game for the stadimeter use, but then most ships must be measured on the superstructure or at the heighest antenna, not mast -which is even higher- . Second, the highest game resolution you can set is clearly not good enough to make accurate measurements on medium distance targets, and to make things worser, the size of the scope window is encoded and can't be increased Third, real periscopes incorporate that laser rangefinder so it isn't crazy at all to add it. I didn't know that warships had that laser detector, but I suppose it won't be 100% effective, is it?

Never mind.
Old 12-17-08, 10:35 AM   #8
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Have you used it much? I have, and trust me, it doesn't work well at all The problems/reasons I want it are several: First of all the mast heigth is given as reference in the game for the stadimeter use, but then most ships must be measured on the superstructure or at the heighest antenna, not mast -which is even higher- . Second, the highest game resolution you can set is clearly not good enough to make accurate measurements on medium distance targets, and to make things worser, the size of the scope window is encoded and can't be increased Third, real periscopes incorporate that laser rangefinder so it isn't crazy at all to add it. I didn't know that warships had that laser detector, but I suppose it won't be 100% effective, is it?

Never mind.
The stadimeter works and has the necessary precision (or lack of precision) for dw.
Do you worry that the bearings are only accurate up to integral parts ? No. Because for all intents and purposes it just doesn't matter in the sim.
For pete's sake, the map doesn't even have the panama canal, you'd think that in a naval simulation getting these things right would be paramount.
Having a laser rangefinder sensor simulated in the sim (even if its possibile) will not give you the necessary precision you're looking for.
You have to hope for ComSubSim.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 06:07 AM   #9
FERdeBOER
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Having a laser rangefinder sensor simulated in the sim (even if its possibile) will not give you the necessary precision you're looking for.
You have to hope for ComSubSim.
The script gives you the accuracy you want, since exact range to hundreds of yards of uncertainy.

And yes, we all have our eyes at ComSubSim...

Last edited by FERdeBOER; 12-18-08 at 06:08 AM.
FERdeBOER is offline   Reply With Quote