SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-21, 10:26 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Some clarification on magnetic exploders and the commands

SUBPAC submarines were ordered to deactivate magnetic features of torpedoes on 24 June 1943. Stubbornly, COMSUBSOWESPAC boats in Fremantle were ordered to keep using them, which they did until 20 January 1944(!) , of course some skippers disobeyed orders and had them disabled while at sea, if had torpedoes aboard they would reactivate them, from what I read. No small chore, not like in the sim when we just flip a switch (kind of annoys me). Of course this revealed the mostly masked fault of the firign pins and resulted in many duds, which was resolved (mostly) in late September early October 1943.

Anyways , search for clarification on subs out of Brisbane. Brisbane boats were under Task Force 72 commanded by Admiral Fife, and Fife was a big part of exposing the torpedo problems from what I understand. Did he order the exploders deactivated as well or no? Ask as have read things including patrol reports indicating premature torpedo explosions in Brisbane based boats in Brisbane operating areas in November 1943 (Drum) .

Confused, wonder if someone can enlighten me.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 08:06 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
SUBPAC submarines were ordered to deactivate magnetic features of torpedoes on 24 June 1943. Stubbornly, COMSUBSOWESPAC boats in Fremantle were ordered to keep using them, which they did until 20 January 1944(!) , of course some skippers disobeyed orders and had them disabled while at sea, if had torpedoes aboard they would reactivate them, from what I read. No small chore, not like in the sim when we just flip a switch (kind of annoys me). Of course this revealed the mostly masked fault of the firign pins and resulted in many duds, which was resolved (mostly) in late September early October 1943.

Anyways , search for clarification on subs out of Brisbane. Brisbane boats were under Task Force 72 commanded by Admiral Fife, and Fife was a big part of exposing the torpedo problems from what I understand. Did he order the exploders deactivated as well or no? Ask as have read things including patrol reports indicating premature torpedo explosions in Brisbane based boats in Brisbane operating areas in November 1943 (Drum) .

Confused, wonder if someone can enlighten me.

ALL kinds of info on this in "Silent Victory" book by Clay Blair Jr. Yes, Brisbane was way behind in de-activating any thing. Also, all the desk jockeys were NOT about to admit there was a problem with the torpedoes, It had to be the people firing them.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 11:34 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
ALL kinds of info on this in "Silent Victory" book by Clay Blair Jr. Yes, Brisbane was way behind in de-activating any thing. Also, all the desk jockeys were NOT about to admit there was a problem with the torpedoes, It had to be the people firing them.
Well, it has been a long time since read Silent Victor and no longer have my copy, went missing during a move or something. Definitely will order one.
Old 07-10-21, 04:19 AM   #4
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon7 @ Boubblehead1980:

If you allow me a completely different topic: I understand that you are in the process of expanding TMO 2.5. When do you publish that extension?
Old 07-10-21, 05:06 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post
If you allow me a completely different topic: I understand that you are in the process of expanding TMO 2.5. When do you publish that extension?
I planned to release end of June but still refining a few things, checking for bugs, and packaging together. I leave for two weeks of vacation on July 29th so plan is to release around 27th or 28th .