SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-23, 11:17 PM   #211
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Kaleu:
Maybe I'm off-base here but I don't know why you feel you need to actively move the torpedo crew to the barracks...or rest. If you have set Commander to the "No fatigue setting" there is no need to have them leave the torpedo room. Yeah, not realistic, but in real time the Chief of the Boat or the Exec would handle that anyway, and not the sub Commander...which you are emulating, but which in the simulation does not allow you the time to do those house-keeping duties.
Am I making sense here?
Happy New Year.
Archive1
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 01:28 PM   #212
kaleu
Swabbie

Downloads: 250

Archive:
Thanks for reply. I'm coming from GWX MOD and am new to LSH3-22 MOD. The way I play I enjoy moving individual crew around compartments. However, if I decide to continue with LSH3 MOD but can't get my issue resolved I'll have to make a decision whether to play with your suggestions or go back to GWX...be that as it may, let me describe the issue in detail...on the CREW MANAGEMENT SCREEN I have sent crew to stern torp room to reload...after reload I want to return crew to rest...I move cursor from right to left toward stern torp room...when cursor hits the middle of the engine room it activates the slide-out gauge panel which then entirely covers the stern torp room...i continue moving cursor to torp room... cursor becomes visible on top of gauge panel but will not allow me to select crew members in torp room and therefore I cannot return crew to rest...they stay there the rest of the game.

Needless to say, none of this is a problem in GWX.

My question.. is there a file or setting I can access to correct this issue or is it merely a bug?
Old 01-02-23, 11:41 PM   #213
Archive1
Commander

Kaleu:
Whoa...complicated. I'm an old (very old!) GWX veteran from some time ago.
I don't know how most LSH3 folks do it, but I do not move any crew around the ship - except perhaps to relieve the deck gun crew after a surface engagement. I merely make sure that I have enough crew in the engine room and two torp rooms to do the job...at one time I complained about slow reloads and found out I did not have decent crew levels to get the job done. Otherwise I ignore crew management.
In re-reading your post I would say it is a design problem...but keep in mind, I am not one of the in-depth members of the design/debugging group. And it is apparent that I have not had your problem. Actually I will see how it works the next time I use the program.
I would guess that it comes down to a desire to do in-depth crew management (which you prefer and which is just fine) or ignore that and have some other focus (which is also OK).
I would suggest if you have the time, continue working with LSH3 for a while and see how you like it compared with GWX. They are both fine programs, but have their own personalities and superior design and support folks.
Say Hello to Capt. Lehmen (Lehman ?) if he is still there.
And a fine coming year your way.
Archive1
Old 01-13-23, 08:50 AM   #214
a-kermit
A-ganger

Downloads: 66

Moin ...
... here is my 1st version of the animated rudder walker (SRG) ... for testing.
... simply as always ... Unpack the 7z archive into the mod folder and activate it with the JSGME.
... when a new version of LSH-2022 is released, I will have to adjust it ... I think.
... now it is not so "static" anymore ... more alive ... the used animations ... if someone finds better ... find better ones, please let me know.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/excqo...H+2022.7z/file

My thanks to "Stoertbeker" for his post-texturing work and his little black ship (cape).

mfG Kermit-68

Edit: ... this SRG is not compatible with Wurmonkel's type 7 interior mod ...
... based on the interior of LSH V 2022
... either WO builds this in or gives his permission that I can do it.
a-kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-23, 10:43 PM   #215
Archive1
Commander

Default No convoys

Blackswan:
Greetings for the New Year. I wanted to follow-up on the strange lack of distant convoys that appear on the nav map deep into the war years. I tried to upload to you a photo of my empty map screen, I think sometime in 1940 when there would be a great deal of shipping around the British Isles...but none appear on the nav map. I have no idea if you were able to open it.

As a test I created a newby Kaleun and sent him and his sub on multiple patrols starting all over again. The same thing - A few neutral and friendly ships appear in the near waters of Germany deep into 1940, but nothing around the British Isles. Actually there is always an enemy convoy in the East Channel. But that is all.

It seems to make no difference what changes I make to the Data/Contacts settings - whether near or far. Random, rare attackable targets do appear here and there as the game progresses. I am sure I had some type of God's Eye View adjustment with SH3 and GWX, but cannot find how that was possible. Certainly I agree with you: lots of British Isle ships are designed into the program, but do not seem to appear on the nav map unless they are in a decent reach of the player's sub for possible a attack.

Is a puzzlement.
Archive1
Old 01-14-23, 10:48 PM   #216
Archive1
Commander

a-kermit:

Mea culpa, but what is an "animated rudder walker (SRG)"?
Archive1
Old 01-15-23, 08:26 AM   #217
blueduck
Commander

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleu View Post
Once stern reload is finished, I cannot return crew to rest because cursor activates gauge panel before cursor reaches the stern room. The gauge panel covers the entire room while the cursor is visible on top of the panel but does not work. I have to complete game without 5-6 crewmen. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.

Hi kaleu,

sorry for the late reply!

I guess you are using OLC-GUI by encountering this issue!?!
An update is already prepared and will be release soon.

Regards
Blueduck
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-23, 08:49 AM   #218
blueduck
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1 View Post
a-kermit:

Mea culpa, but what is an "animated rudder walker (SRG)"?
Archive1

Hi Archive1,

I guess he means the helmsman/steersman...

Regards
Blueduck
Old 01-15-23, 09:13 AM   #219
blueduck
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive1 View Post
Blackswan:
Greetings for the New Year. I wanted to follow-up on the strange lack of distant convoys that appear on the nav map deep into the war years. I tried to upload to you a photo of my empty map screen, I think sometime in 1940 when there would be a great deal of shipping around the British Isles...but none appear on the nav map. I have no idea if you were able to open it.

As a test I created a newby Kaleun and sent him and his sub on multiple patrols starting all over again. The same thing - A few neutral and friendly ships appear in the near waters of Germany deep into 1940, but nothing around the British Isles. Actually there is always an enemy convoy in the East Channel. But that is all.

It seems to make no difference what changes I make to the Data/Contacts settings - whether near or far. Random, rare attackable targets do appear here and there as the game progresses. I am sure I had some type of God's Eye View adjustment with SH3 and GWX, but cannot find how that was possible. Certainly I agree with you: lots of British Isle ships are designed into the program, but do not seem to appear on the nav map unless they are in a decent reach of the player's sub for possible a attack.

Is a puzzlement.
Archive1

Hi Archive1,

guess I found the "problem".
Using mission editor to have a look into the random layer, choosing and right clicking on a convoy you can read the values for "Contact automatic report (Min)" and "Probability (%)". If the first is set to -1 there will be no report. If the percentage is less than 100%, there might be a e.g. 50% chance for a report.

For the convoys through the channel CAR is set to 1440 or 2160 which means the contact report will be "repeated" within 24 or 36 hours. I guess this long time for the channel convoys is set to not interrupt time compression too often, when you are traveling through the channel.
Convoys crossing the Atlantic are e.g. set to CAR=600 which will report them every 10 hours maybe simulating a sub chasing that convoy.

When leaving from the french harbours you might rush out of the detection window before the repeat time is reached.

Regards
Blueduck
Old 01-15-23, 11:47 PM   #220
Archive1
Commander

Default Convoys

Blueduck
Great reply. From this I gather that the programming crew decided to keep the wide view of the convoys 'hidden' until they were in contact with a nearby sub. Or at least not permit them to be displayed under some God's Eye View. So I will defer to the designer team...a bit unhappily,,,but with respect. There is no way, of course, that I would use the Mission Editor to change the contact values for each convoy. I admit that this is more realistic than having the wide view of the entire territory, seen by each centralized Admiralty command, available to the individual sub commander.

Not sure how or why the "helmsman/steersman" needs to be redesigned...or even exactly which character/image that constitutes - the guy in the command room watching the dials? Yes, I guess the current image is rather stilted and repetitive, but I don't spend much time in the command room while at sea. I let my imaginary First Officer do that, along with crew assignments to relieve fatigue.
Thanks again, Archive1
Old 01-16-23, 05:20 AM   #221
a-kermit
A-ganger

Moin ... Archive1
... until now a "ghost" in the control center operated the engine telegraph and the rudder.
I have now changed that with an animated helmsman.
In addition, there is an animated crew member who will be to the left of the torpedo computer and is bent over the uboot scheme map.
Comes a little "life" in the center.
... with the depth rudder crew ...there is only changed, that they are not on station during overwater travel ... only from dive command / underwater travel.
I will create this for all ubots types / headquarters.
Who does not like it ... does not have to use it js.
mfG Kermit
Old 01-16-23, 06:35 AM   #222
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 584
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-kermit View Post
In addition, there is an animated crew member who will be to the left of the torpedo computer and is bent over the uboot scheme map.
... with the depth rudder crew ...there is only changed, that they are not on station during overwater travel ... only from dive command / underwater travel.

I haven't tested your mod yet because I don't have the time for Silent Hunter at the moment, but I think the idea is great.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-23, 11:02 PM   #223
Archive1
Commander

a-kermit:
Sorry if I upset you. Not intended.
I did mention that I actually spend little time in the control room, but that doesn't mean that many other people don't spend a great deal of time there and will appreciate more than I your improvement.
We always appreciate people adding improvements to LSH3 that benefit everyone. (Whether old codgers like me use them or not!)
Archive1
Old 01-19-23, 04:40 AM   #224
a-kermit
A-ganger

Moin Archive1

joo, don't have a problem with it.
Have not "annoyed" me each his opinion.
mfG Kermit
Old 01-19-23, 02:39 PM   #225
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-kermit View Post
... until now a "ghost" in the control center operated the engine telegraph and the rudder.
I will create this for all ubots types / headquarters.
Who does not like it ... does not have to use it js.
mfG Kermit
I see that this is a trial balloon.
I hope it will be improved.