SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-09, 03:26 PM   #16
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Now I'm there!!!!!!!

Downloading the updated BIOS solved my problem and my vista experience index went up from 2.9 to 4.8!

Vista now boot around if not less than 30s.

Thanks for everyone who gave me suggestions. Especially CaptainHaplo which was spot on in guesssing my main problem that was the MB BIOS-driver and bridge.
Hey, I suggested BIOS updates as well
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 03:42 PM   #17
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Thx All !!! While I don't have any probs with Vista 64 I found this thread very informative.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 05:54 PM   #18
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout
Now I'm there!!!!!!!

Downloading the updated BIOS solved my problem and my vista experience index went up from 2.9 to 4.8!

Vista now boot around if not less than 30s.

Thanks for everyone who gave me suggestions. Especially CaptainHaplo which was spot on in guesssing my main problem that was the MB BIOS-driver and bridge.
Hey, I suggested BIOS updates as well
Oh sorry if I had forgotten to mention you fatty :hmm: . Thank you. It took me about a day to solve my problem because I was waiting for vista to finish downloading the updates in the hope my problem was going to be resolved automatically by Vista. Again thank you pal .
Old 01-26-09, 05:57 PM   #19
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Excellent news! I'm glad it is sorted and working like it should. The only thing I see that you might want to consider is a faster vid card. It will help with your speed. Book mark the Vista forum. I go there everyday and look for one thing about Vista that makes if better. I have not been let down yet. It is full of tips and tricks. If you got CPIUD, make a utility fold and keep it there. It is a nice program that helps keep you on top of your hardware and what it is up to. I have a utility folder with CPUID and other utility programs. One stop shop to check out what your computer is up to.
Yea I'm aware that my GPU is lacking and planning to replace it with 9800GTX 512Mb soon. Meanwhile it will have to do. Empire total war is not going to hit the shelves until at least a little over a month more. .

Just boot the PC this morning and I was planning to time it but wooot it was over all too soon.
Old 01-26-09, 07:36 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

That is great news Castout. You probably snuck up on the computer this morning with a sinking feeling in your stomach hoping the darn thing would run right. :rotfl: The 9800 is a sweet card. You will like it and your Vista performance deal should get you in the 5's with it.
Old 01-29-09, 09:23 PM   #21
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
That is great news Castout. You probably snuck up on the computer this morning with a sinking feeling in your stomach hoping the darn thing would run right. :rotfl: The 9800 is a sweet card. You will like it and your Vista performance deal should get you in the 5's with it.

Hmm actually Vista rated my GPU pretty good at 5.5 for aero experience and 3D gaming.

My lowest index is my RAM(4.8). Though I use an 8 Gb DDR2 RAM, they are only 800MHz so they may not be awfully fast.

My second lowest score(4.9) is my CPU which is a 2GHz Core 2 duo. 2GHz is kind of pushing it even though it's a dual core.

So by the look of it I think I may not get an increase to my vista experience index simply by upgrading by GPU.
Old 01-29-09, 09:34 PM   #22
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Well, just hang on because Windows 7 utilizes your hardware better than Vista does. You scores are good.
Old 01-29-09, 10:27 PM   #23
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well, just hang on because Windows 7 utilizes your hardware better than Vista does. You scores are good.
Well I'm not complaining as is.
Old 01-30-09, 08:42 AM   #24
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

The highest score is a 5.9 so you are darn close. I do not recall why MS stopped at 5.9 for the experience score. I guess Windows 7 will have higher numbers as it is apparently faster than Vista. I read yesterday that Windows 7 will not be out this year. So who knows. I really like Vista personally. Seems ok in my book.
Old 01-31-09, 11:36 PM   #25
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
5.9 huh? Then my 4.4 ain't totally sorry. I figured it was on a 10 scale. Go figure. Thanks AVG - you made me feel better!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 02:19 AM   #26
Castout
Silent Hunter

Yes Warhawk I know that the maximum score is 5.9. If I were not wrong the original maximum score was 5.0 when Vista first came out and Microsoft later on increased this number to 5.9 as newer hardware became available.

For the best Vista experience an index score of at least 4.0 is recommended. So Captain Haplo you can be sure to actually able to enjoy Vista almost all the way if not all the way.

I like Vista x64 too. It's fast imo. And I can relax and keep on doing other things like browsing the internet, typing this post while my antivirus is doing a complete scan of my HDD which I don't think is possible with a 32 bit sytem. And I really can't tell a performance decrease at all. All smooth and fast. People are complaining about UAC while I like it a lot. It may not be perfect but it offers additional security which is always a welcome. Besides my firewall is a lot more noisier and I have no problem with that.

Now I'm wondering about the negative reviews and attitude people seem to be saying and holding about Vista. As for me I like it a lot. I will never go back to x86 system. 64 bit is the way to go NOW. I suggest anyone wishing to dump XP for whatever reason being fed up is one good reason, to get Vista x64 instead of the 32 bit Vista copy. It may be a bit painful at the start like my experience but once all things come together it really shines(compared to XP).

I look forward to windows 7 x64 only if it offers improved security over Vista. Meanwhile Vista x64 is jolie good for me.

Though I have one gripe about Vista x64 system: It is HDD space hungry. I recommend a HDD capacity of at least 400-500Gb to be used for Vista x64.

Last edited by Castout; 02-01-09 at 02:31 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote