SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-20, 07:10 AM   #4066
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

^ The pandemic and the behavioural change and attitude towards it have been so drastically politicised that now it is impossible to discriminate between pandemic and politics if mentioning either Trump or Covid-19 in the US. Me too sometimes does not know wether to pick the US politics or the Wuhan virus thread.
Old 06-26-20, 07:35 AM   #4067
Skybird
Soaring

The graohs on daily infeciton rates shows that severlam countries have started to slip back into the poo again. Brazil , the US, India to mention, but there is a general trend in amny more, in Europe and Chole and others.

Note that the following is a LOGARITHMIC scale on the vertical axis.

The same data, this time with a LINEAR scale on the vertical axis.

Old 06-26-20, 08:50 AM   #4068
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Police and government warn they will clamp down if mass gatherings continue in UK's hot summer weather.

"Huge sense of pent-up frustration" among British public after lockdown, WHO special envoy says.

US records all-time daily high of 40,000 infections on Thursday, figures from Johns Hopkins University show.

Texas and Florida are among states to pause reopening plans.

20 million people in the US may actually have been infected, almost 10 times the recorded number, health officials warn.

Intu, company which owns the Trafford Centre in Manchester and 16 other UK shopping centres, has gone into administration.

Mexico has now recorded 25,000 deaths and 200,000 cases of the new coronavirus.

The number of cases worldwide stands at 9.6 million with more than 490,000 deaths - Johns Hopkins.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 09:03 AM   #4069
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Scotland is "not far away" from eliminating coronavirus, the country's first minister has predicted.

Deaths in Northern Ireland from coronavirus have fallen for the seven week running, official figures show.
Up to 19 June, a total of 816 people died with Covid-19 mentioned on their death certificate, the NI Statistics and Research Agency said.

Intu, which owns the Trafford Centre in Greater Manchester and Lakeside in Essex along with 18 other shopping centres, had until midnight to secure a new deal over its £4.5bn debt burden.
It has now gone into administration under auditors KPMG after it said “insufficient alignment and agreement has been achieved”.

President Vladimir Putin has said the number of cases in Russia is decreasing, as official figures show daily infections falling below 7,000 for the first time in two months.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged people to recognise the ongoing risks from coronavirus, as lockdown measures are increasingly eased.
"It's crucial that people understand that on 4 July we get this right - we do this in a balanced way and we recognise the risks," the PM said, while visiting a restaurant in east London on Friday.

Texas, which has been at the forefront of moves to end lockdown measures in the US, has seen thousands of new cases, prompting Governor Greg Abbott to call a temporary halt to its reopening.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said he did not have plans to move the state to the next phase of reopening - some southern and western states reported record numbers of cases in recent days.

Sweden's state epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, rejected a warning from the World Health Organization that included Sweden among countries in Europe at risk of a Covid-19 resurgence, saying it was a "total misinterpretation of the data" by the health body.

Police in Kenya killed three people when a crowd of motorcycle taxi drivers protested against the arrest of a colleague for ignoring coronavirus restrictions.

Supermarket chains in Australia are reimposing purchase limits on toilet paper and other essential household items following a spike in coronavirus cases in the state of Victoria.

Old 06-26-20, 10:44 AM   #4070
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
20 million people in the US may actually have been infected, almost 10 times the recorded number, health officials warn.
I heard that this figure came from testing people for anti-bodies that may of had the virus and no longer have the virus and then mathematicaly figuring out how many people could be included in the total assumption.

In other words there may be huge bomb shell surge coming to America by next flu season. I love football, but can you imagine how many fans could spread THE virus to other fans and then they go home and go back to work the next day.

Cancellation of NFL football in 2020 is a very real possibility
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 11:37 AM   #4071
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

*COVID-19 ALERT: Fraudulent Facemask Flyers*

https://www.ada.gov/covid-19_flyer_alert.html

Quote:
The Department of Justice has been made aware of postings or flyers on the internet regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the use of face masks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of which include the Department of Justice’s seal.
These postings were not issued by the Department and are not endorsed by the Department.
The Department urges the public not to rely on the information contained in these postings and to visit ADA.gov for ADA information issued by the Department.
Evidently there is a group calling themselves the Freedom to Breathe Agency posting these fake ADA cards so that people can circumvent mask regulations.

Crikey, just wear a mask.

There ain't no Freedom to Breathe Agency in the US government
Old 06-26-20, 11:51 AM   #4072
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Should be FTSDA. Freedom to Spread Diseases Agency.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 12:20 PM   #4073
Skybird
Soaring

Freedom fries. Freedom gas. Freedom to breathe...

Pathos forms traditions.
Old 06-26-20, 12:58 PM   #4074
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

US Vice-President Mike Pence is hosting the first coronavirus briefing in nearly two months.

He says the US "flattened the curve" while admitting cases are rising in 16 states.

Florida sets another new record for daily coronavirus cases, reporting nearly 9,000 new infections.

Another hard-hit state, Texas, orders bars closed amid a surge in cases.

UK police and government warn they will clamp down if mass gatherings continue in hot summer weather.

Old 06-26-20, 02:34 PM   #4075
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

So Corona is on the rise again in Europe due to countries slowly going back to normal situation-slowly opening up.

This makes me wonder-If this R0 should go sky high again, will we witness a lock down harder than we have had before ?

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 02:43 PM   #4076
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Change my mind: Total covid-19 deaths should be roughly the total increase above averages of deaths from all normal causes for the given months? Taking into account that there might be less highway fatalities and also taking into account that there might be more deaths from other causes due to lack of treatment during the covid-19 time period?

Are there figures for that anywhere?
Old 06-26-20, 02:55 PM   #4077
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The Trump gang has politicised a most important and natural, self-recommending measuremeant of health protection, it has turned wearing and not-wearing of masks into a political statement. By doing so, they will the death of many and the suffering of many more. For this crime alone they should be brought to court and locked away for life.

I wear the surgical masks. I thought you believed only in a higher level of PPE and that those lesser masks, such as the surgical mask, were basically worthless?
Old 06-26-20, 03:25 PM   #4078
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Texas and Florida are among states to pause reopening plans.

Gov. Greg Abbott orders Texas bars to close again and restaurants to reduce to 50% occupancy as coronavirus spreads
https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/ar...o-15368473.php

Quote:
Gov. Greg Abbott on Friday took his most drastic action yet to respond to the post-reopening coronavirus surge in Texas, shutting bars back down and scaling back restaurant capacity to 50%.

He also shut down river-rafting trips, which have been blamed for a swift rise in cases in Hays County, and banned outdoor gatherings of over 100 people unless local officials approve.

“At this time, it is clear that the rise in cases is largely driven by certain types of activities, including Texans congregating in bars," Abbott said in a news release. "The actions in this executive order are essential to our mission to swiftly contain this virus and protect public health."

Damn, I was just about ready to get my hair cut.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 06-26-20 at 03:34 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 04:17 PM   #4079
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Damn, I was just about ready to get my hair cut.

Too many confusing colors and degrees. They made the same mistake after 911. You should adopt the simplicity of the Ron White danger scale.

August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-20, 04:21 PM   #4080
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I wear the surgical masks. I thought you believed only in a higher level of PPE and that those lesser masks, such as the surgical mask, were basically worthless?
I do not just "believe" it, some things we simply do know for sure becasue it was anaylsed in laboratories.

You are right, however. AFAI am aware of the current scientific consesus (that excludes the Trump people automatically), surgical masks have the benfit of breaking the stream of air when you breathe out. Already a hand held before the face does that, though is less efficient. You nevertheless create aerosoles, its just that the initial output stream does not flash as fast into the room before you with such a mask. Aerosoles stay in the air for hours, however, and slowly expand in clouds . Surgical masks offer mild protection for yourself, the tissue layers are not made to catch all virus, and the masks often do not fit perfectly and the person breathes in some unfiltered air from gaps at the rim of these masks. These masks are meant to protect patients from the doctor habndling them. However some study from i think Hongkong found them to be slightly more protective than was previously assumed, and they are most likely also better than just a cotton cloth mask that was nitted at home. However, I would not enter a shop with these. I have them, but consider them only if I need to pass through an area where there are many people on the street, but it is in free space, outside. NEVER IN SHOPS. So far I had not needed them at all since I avoid such situations alltogether. I bought them for 30 Euros per 100 pieces maybe 6-7 weeks ago.

FFP2 and 3 masks equal KN95 masks, offering comparable protection against virus if correctly worn . The tested filtering capacity should be 95% and 99+% for FFP2 and FFP3, means only one in twenty and one in a hundred virusses passes through the mask, with anglosaxon KN95 norm I think combining these two European standards into one. FFP3 has an increased breathing resistance, and now, in summer, and sweating face skin, I would not recommend to use them, its no fun, really, the breath gets wet within 3 minutes and it feels as if you are breathing extremely wet mist. I prefer FFP2 in summer. But these masks are the ones that offer you best protection for yourself IF WORN CORRECTLY. I prefer them to NOT have valves, because then my exhale gets not filtered when I breath out, and that obviously is not nice for the others. The virus cannot multiply in these masks and will simply deactivate if you hang them up after use for some time, I expect them to be gone after 3 days (thats the maximum survivability for Covid 19 virusses we know so far, and on paper they found it to last even just a third of that time at max), but bacteria can that you breath out, thats why these masks should be carefully stored in dry air, not, as they always recommend, in sealed tight bags, that cannot be true! Moisture, sealed bags, and bacteria thrown together? No good idea. When I leave a shop and drive home, I hang it on my belt so that it dries in the wind. I use a mask once, then hang it away for three days before using it again. Every 4-5 uses, I bake it at around 75° for half an hour. After 3-4 oven treatments I throw it away. So I get 12-20 uses out of one mask. They are available in Germany now, though almost exclusively only via internet. costa are varying from 1,50-2,80 per item. I use to buy them when I find them for 15 Euros per 10 pieces. Its still more expensive than before Corona, but acceptable. The producer of the latest pack I got writes on the box the masks are meant for repeated are can be used for a total of 36 hours, without giving any further details.

Self made cotton maks do not offer reliable virus protection , they maybe reduce the virus load if you inhale a virus load, but due to the lack of any virus-filtering layer they cannot be too good at that. They break the air stream if exhaling, which is a polite thing to do. But I see them mostly as alibi, and do not consider them seriously in any situation.

Transparent faceshields that some people wear instead of masks, offer zero protection against aerosoles - full stop. Any further discussion can stop here, its misleading. They simply should not be used, or only in combination with an additional mask, then they can serve as exe protection at least, though tight-fitting lab glasses are again the better choice.

All this is more or less known since many years already, is no magic, and sitting down and spending a minute of thougth on the problem can lead a reasonable person to similiar conclusions. I do not understand why the media and politicians make such an endlessly diverse topic for debate of it. If you want to switch on the room light - do you push the button or not? Does anyone debate on this? No. Everybody just pushes the button, and nobody considers to make a show act of it.

Serious, btw, if the numbers go up again, people are sweating, ventilation is running, protective glasses inside shops are no unreasonable idea. The virus can enter via the mucosa in 1. the jaw (mostly it goes this way), 2. the nose (second choice) and - 3. the eyes. Breaking aerosole air streams to the eyes or preventing your playing fingers to touch your eyes, is no bad idea. In social situations where the risk must be assumed to be signficant, I would always consider glasses, and have used them over my regular glasses in the past. Currently not - officially we have just 4 known hospitalized cases in my hometown currently. City of Münster currently is quite safe. But in the bordering district to our east they have all puppets dancing, just 30 minutes on bicycle away there is a hotspot, and the people there come to Münster for shopping. They come from far away as Holland to go shopping here, we are close to the Dutch border. Some further to the East there is the current ground zero of Corona in Germany, Tönnies facvtory. 1500 infected personnell, hooray.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-26-20 at 04:38 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan