Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-20, 01:46 PM   #2506
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Why get tested if you don't have symptoms?
Evidence suggests that you don't need symptoms to spread the virus. That should mean that everyone on the planet gets a test on the same day but practically its impossible.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 02:29 PM   #2507
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I like this one

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 02:52 PM   #2508
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Well, you know, a snakeoil salesmans gotta sell the snakeoil.

Except like usual it's bull:

Quote:
John Dillard, a spokesperson for Fisher Investments, called the Times article a “false report” and said Sanofi “is neither a material holding of Fisher Investments nor of Ken Fisher personally.”
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 03:17 PM   #2509
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Well, you know, a snakeoil salesmans gotta sell the snakeoil.
Hydroxychloroquine that prevents the malaria bacteria from attacking the affected persons hemoglobin also prevents COVID-19 from attacking the hemoglobin. COVID-19 goes after the O2 carrying hemoglobin. The body gets less O2 saturation over time. The drug does not go after the COVID-19 virus. The drug prevents the virus from going after hemoglobin that carries O2 to the bodies organs.
Old 04-07-20, 05:06 PM   #2510
ET2SN
ET2/SS

The problem with Hydroxychloroquine is that the study was very limited (30 patients?) and the response falls under "Try ANYTHING!!". By that logic, I could shoot a laser at the moon to kill Covid-19 with an equal chance of success.

I've been pondering if I should post this or not.

A while ago (over ten years) I was diagnosed with MS. That is one heck of a chat with your doctor. It takes time to process that kind of news and figure out how to cope with it.

One thing I did learn quickly was that there were scores of "cures" for MS. Never-mind that the medical community still didn't fully understand the disease or its cause or that there were already treatments to help me manage the disease, I could cure the darned thing if I wore the magnets, or had some radical surgery to "shock my system" (not in the US, of course), or even swallow a pill of "stem cells" that would miraculously migrate from my digestive system into my blood stream.

When you're desperate, its much easier to just believe anything.

Meanwhile, I did find a good combo of meds for my MS and I'll probably walk half a mile to the grocery store this week.

..and there still won't be any paper towels or TP.

Anyway, the main med I take is a form of Interferon. In my case, the interferon actually attaches a long string of protein to any white blood cell that attacks it. Those cells can no longer attack the outer covering of my nerve cells (which is the big pain of MS). Now, is Interferon the magic bullet that could kill Covid-19? I highly doubt it. Will someone make that claim by next month? Probably. These are desperate times and #### floats.

That's the danger of "Try anything, what have you got to lose?". It takes the meds people already need and throws them on to the open market for the highest bidder. Much like injecting Insulin to lose weight over-night, you may as well try it.

I take another med for MS that's actually prescribed off-label. The med is an anti-bacterial that was found to be helpful with a condition we call "MS Fatigue" ("fatigue" isn't even close, if you don't lay down NOW you're going to fall down). This is a generic med and why it works on MS fatigue, no one knows. Yet. Eventually, they'll figure it out. Would that be helpful with Covid-19?

No idea, Covid-19 is still new enough that there's a lot of mystery left to solve.
Old 04-07-20, 05:35 PM   #2511
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

The great Danish experiment.

From Wednesday next week the Danish government have decided to slowly open the society again and they will do so with the youngest in the country, by opening the kindergarten and school for kids from age 5 to 10/12 years of age.

According to the Danish health authorities this step by the Danish government is to get these kids infected.

I think the reason to this could be -
Kids have to highest chance for surviving this corona and it will infect us all, beside it will return this autumn and then it's good if the kids and our young people have developed an immunity towards this corona infection.

Country like Denmark can't effort another shutdown of the society as we are experience right now.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 07:09 PM   #2512
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

That's the danger of "Try anything, what have you got to lose?". It takes the meds people already need and throws them on to the open market for the highest bidder.

They've ramped up production so I don't think people with malaria are gonna have a problem finding their meds.
Old 04-07-20, 07:29 PM   #2513
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
They've ramped up production so I don't think people with malaria are gonna have a problem finding their meds.
And you know it works because??
The anti-bacterial med I take was trialed several times in blind studies. The results took a couple of years due to peer review. I know how much to take per day. I know if I take it for more than a week in a row it will bind me up (check out one of those pro-biotic yogurt commercials, this med woks in reverse).

Trust me, I know how "desperate" feels. I've been there. Yes, they can make a lot of pills but what if they don't work?
Old 04-07-20, 08:02 PM   #2514
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

There has been much written in professional medical journals about the the possibilities of certain medications and therapy including Hydroxychloroquine. Just because there hasn't been a controlled trial to determine its effectiveness is no justification for not trying it. Because what if it does help?

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 08:17 PM   #2515
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Just because there hasn't been a controlled trial to determine its effectiveness is no justification for not trying it. Because what if it does help?

Seriously?

What if we also throw in a witch doctor just to cover all of the bases?
Old 04-07-20, 08:27 PM   #2516
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Seriously?

What if we also throw in a witch doctor just to cover all of the bases?

Its in medical journals because it has been considered by doctors in a number of countries including our own, because they actually know how it works, as a POSSIBLE treatment. So yes, if my choice is between doing nothing or taking what has been considered by professional medical doctors as something that MAY increase a chance of survival, then sign me up. Then there's that thing called the placebo effect which one theory has it if a person expects a pill to do something, then it's possible that the body's own chemistry can cause effects similar to what a medication might have caused. But if you think a witch doctor will do you some good go ahead and try it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-07-20 at 08:44 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 09:10 PM   #2517
ET2SN
ET2/SS

This is a good interview. Remember, we're all in the same boat.
Old 04-07-20, 10:58 PM   #2518
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Reading now how Trump is now blaming WHO for bad advice. Really? Like I said weeks ago, he'll blame anybody and anything but himself. What a monumental turd.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 11:37 PM   #2519
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Evidence suggests that you don't need symptoms to spread the virus. That should mean that everyone on the planet gets a test on the same day but practically its impossible.
I was thinking more along the lines of, I could test negative and get infected 20 min after the test. So unless I have symptoms (or someone I have close contact with has symptoms) it is a waste of resources.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 11:45 PM   #2520
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Reading now how Trump is now blaming WHO for bad advice. Really? Like I said weeks ago, he'll blame anybody and anything but himself. What a monumental turd.
There's an old adage: Believe nothing you hear and and only half of what you see.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan