SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-23-13, 11:19 AM   #1
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 0
Default Vidcard upgrade

Please forgive the "lazy" post, in the sense that I haven't searched for an answer before posting.

I'm thinking of upgrading my vidcard from a Radeon 4800 (IIRC it's 4800 ... it's 4000 anyway) and which is running on an Asus IP35 Pro motherboard. System built almost 5 years ago now.

I was thinking that even if I just upgrade to an already "old" vidcard series, e.g. 6000 series, it will still give me a decent boost and for a low price.

Problem is, I'm kinda out of touch with vidcard specs, in particular PCI. I see things that are eg PCI express 2 and 3. I don't recall what PCI I have with the Asus mb and the manual just says "PCI". Do I need to get a particular PCI card, or are the physical slots all the same still? I realize I wouldn't get the higher throughput, but will the card fit?

Any suggestions re a particular card?

Tks much
Old 01-23-13, 12:52 PM   #2
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

Could you be more exact with the specification of the motherboard.
IIRC 4800 series cards only came in the PCI-express versions, if so any current pci express card would work if the psu has enough power.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-13, 01:37 PM   #3
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Tks for your reply. Oops, I said Asus; the mobo is Abit. The manual says nothing, but there's still a link to info on the website I bought it from: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=3263080 .

It refers PCI Express, but no version info. I'm thinking it must have been the original PCI Express.

So is it the case that any newer version PCI Express vidcard will fit; but I just won't get all of the benefit?
Old 01-24-13, 02:17 AM   #4
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Exactly and the extra benefit from later pci express versions is negligeble. Now all you need is a card that doesn't draw more power than what you currently have and has more performance, if you could give me a price range you are interested in I could browse around for possible candidates.
Old 01-24-13, 07:19 AM   #5
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Thanks for your reply and kind offer.

Things come back as I start looking into this. I would have put in the 4850 card after the initial build, so I guess 3-4 years ago, 'cause checking the psu I recall buying it afterwards. The psu is a Corsair HX620W ... http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139002 . So should be ok I think.

I was thinking 6000 series, maybe 6670, but I wouldn't rule out going into the 7000. Thinking 2GB but depending on price.

The most vexing I find is choosing between licensee/manufacturers, as I recall from shopping the 4850 that there can be some differences in specs and quality. There seem to be more players now: Sapphire, XFX, Asus, MSI, Visiontek, HIS, Gigabyte etc.

I guess from what I'm seeing online so far, target price range might be between roughly $80 and $150.

So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 01-24-13, 07:37 AM   #6
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Just to note; P35 is PCI-E 1.1

Sapphire HD 6770 perhaps?

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-13, 08:49 PM   #7
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

Well, I took the plunge on a spur of the moment thing, and picked up an Asus 7770. Probably more than I need, but a big boost over the old card.

Just want to say thanks again to you two for your help; it put me on the right track on a couple of basic points.

Cheers
Old 01-25-13, 02:58 AM   #8
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Even though you have already made your purchase I would like to point out that the amount of graphics memory is of a secondary concern to the performance of the GPU itself. Having more than 1gb of grpahics memory does not really give you an advantage unless at really high resolutions and at high AA and/or AS levels.
That said the 7770 should be capable enough, it all depends on your usage and demands.
Old 01-25-13, 10:19 AM   #9
bert8for3
Ace of the Deep

I didn't realize that. As it happens, I got a 1GB card anyway. It does illustrate that I didn't "shop" quite to the extent I should have before buying. I blame it on the beer I had at lunch yesterday

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-25-13, 11:16 AM   #10
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

More grpahics memory almost never hurts, unless the manufacturer uses cheaper high latency and low speed chips in their high memory cards as is sometimes the case with low and mid range cards.
Anyway, at 1080p I have never noticed 2gb of video memory being too little. at 720p 1gb is plentiful.