SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-09, 09:37 PM   #1
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Best compiler to learn C++ ?

I've finally decided to start writing some applications for my PC. I've decided to begin learning C++. Now, my question is, what compiler is the best for a total newb to learn with and is there anything else I'll need besides the compiler ?

I tried the most recent Micro$oft's Visual C++, and it completely confused me so much that I couldn't follow anything in my C++ tutorial books that I'm learning from. Also, that program took up a CRAZY amount of space on my hard drive, AND it was a BEAR to uninstall because it installed several dozen programs that if you uninstalled one in the wrong order, all the stuff that's left in there is stuck in there. I had to manually go and delete everything, and then I had to fix LOTS of stuff in my registry to make the stuff totally gone.

Should I give Micro$oft's compiler another go or should I look elsewhere ?
Old 11-03-09, 01:41 PM   #2
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I myself started with MS's Visual Studio. I didn't have many problems with it. Right now, the class I am taking essentially requires a Linux installation. I am using Geany (a very basic lightweight IDE compared to something like Visual Studio) to write my code, and the GNU GCC compiler to compile (G++ would be the C++ equivalent compiler).

And just a note, a compiler is the program that actually takes your code and turns it into machine code (eventually, there are steps in between). An IDE is the program that you write code in, it often includes a compiler. There's really no need to use an IDE when you are starting out and writing simple programs, and it's a good idea to know how to write code in a text file and compile/debug from command line. It will probably be a couple months of learning (get a book, for C++ I recommend Malik's C++ Programming) before you need anything else like learning a GUI toolkit.

Feel free to PM if you need any help, I'm certainly not an expert but I'm a couple quarters into a computer science degree now.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 02:54 AM   #3
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Years ago i use to teach myself Borland C++ ver5 (1998) some good ebooks you can grab online are the "teach yourself in 21 days" plenty of programming ones to try, they teach you the basics step by step with end chapter assignments that you should be able to complete before moving on to the next chapter. By the time your done you can at the very least code basic windows & databases. Anyone remember the 'Hello World' window most common starters window to learn for C programming, can still write that one out in C+ without looking.

Once you learn the basics to medium then move on to the more professionals studies where coding gets much harder. You could google for online tutorial sites as well.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-09, 02:21 PM   #4
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

There are several routes to take when learning programming from the ground up. One is the "Zero to hero in two weeks!" type tutorials. I don't think those are the greatest idea unless you just want to learn to write code. Because you aren't really learning about programming when you do those. There is a lot more to programming than just syntax.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 05:06 PM   #5
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

If you're on windows I'd go with code::blocks as the IDE and MinGW as the C++ compiler toolchain (its a port of GNU CC and several other utilities).
The great thing is the IDE code:blocks integrates simply with GCC and other compilers (Watcom, Intel C/C++ compiler, Borland C++ etc....).

Frankly if you just want to program something for the pc, C++ as a first language is really not the way to go, unless you've had quite a good understanding of C and all its pitfalls.
C++ is really overkill for some simple programs.
There are other more "nice" languages such as Free Pascal, or some alternative languages such as Scheme or Common Lisp that will make you more productive with less headaches. ^_^
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote