SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-10, 07:40 PM   #46
rsvette12
Lieutenant

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Thank you

Rich
Old 03-10-10, 08:40 PM   #47
Charlie901
XO

Downloads: 29

Will this Mod be compatable with W_Clear's upcomming Environment Mod or do they both overwrite each other at certain points?
Old 03-11-10, 12:17 AM   #48
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

I honestly thought the clouds in vanilla looked fine, I had no idea they could be improved this much; awesome work. Thanks. Also does the sunny side of the moon actually face the sun now? Its still daytime in the game I'm playing now, but I noticed in the unmodded game that the sunny side faced away from the sun.
Old 03-11-10, 01:22 AM   #49
Ailantd
Bosun

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie901 View Post
Will this Mod be compatable with W_Clear's upcomming Environment Mod or do they both overwrite each other at certain points?
This mods only change texture files, not change configs or data files, so it can be installed over any other mod if you prefeer this textures over the other mod textures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironkross View Post
I honestly thought the clouds in vanilla looked fine, I had no idea they could be improved this much; awesome work. Thanks. Also does the sunny side of the moon actually face the sun now? Its still daytime in the game I'm playing now, but I noticed in the unmodded game that the sunny side faced away from the sun.
I hate the vanilla rounded clouds at the first second SHV appear in my screen XD.
Unfortunalety the moon light side problem ( some kind of bug or missatention by developers ) is still there, and is not fixed by Ailmoon mod. I only change texture files. Orientation of moon should be coded somewhere... if is it coded... wich i don´t sure about. There are many aspects of SHV that feel very unfinished or unpolished, I hope modders or future patches can fix all these details someday.

On the other side I have to report another bug with Ailsmoke... maby if you already play with it you maby had seen it: The same smoke texture is used in torpedo explosions, in the same way lower flames was in fire smoke, so in topedo explosions you can see, again, the dammed boxes... The good news is that it is easy to fix and I will post another fixed version as soon as possible with this problem corrected. Stay tunned.

Regards
Old 03-11-10, 10:19 AM   #50
Michal788
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Also thanks from me.

Old 03-11-10, 11:33 AM   #51
sweln
Watch

Downloads: 8

First thank you a lot for the effort, the game looks much better already!

About clouds I would suggest trying the ones from Bird of Prey.
It seems that they have some kind of little halo around them that looks just fine.

Example :

and

Old 03-11-10, 01:02 PM   #52
Ailantd
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweln View Post
First thank you a lot for the effort, the game looks much better already!

About clouds I would suggest trying the ones from Bird of Prey.
It seems that they have some kind of little halo around them that looks just fine.
These kind of halo are coded in render engine, it is not in textures, so it is not possible in SHV unless developers do something about it. Using halo in textures would look odd as it would be all in the cloud, not only in the borders. Also very cumular clouds type, with hard borders are not working very good with SHV clouds, I have try it allready, and although it looks very good when billboards are togueder and with 100% vertex alpha (engine coded), it looks really odd when billboards become sparse and the engine set it with vertex alpha. So what it is in the mod now it is, for me, the best compromise between realistic clouds texture and good looking screenshots in all type of clouds enviroments in SHV.
Old 03-12-10, 05:39 PM   #53
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Cloud mod looks excellent. About to give it a go. Seems a bit naughty to 'borrow' REX textures from the FSX add-on, but I own REX anyway so no big deal (and it's all for non-profit so no matter)

Good job
Old 03-12-10, 08:02 PM   #54
Ailantd
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turm View Post
Cloud mod looks excellent. About to give it a go. Seems a bit naughty to 'borrow' REX textures from the FSX add-on, but I own REX anyway so no big deal (and it's all for non-profit so no matter)

Good job
Yes, I know. I usually don´t do that, but I have no so many good cloud shapes from myself to do entire mod, so I used 4 from REX until I can go outside to take some good photographs. This way at least SH clouds are not so ugly like vanilla. Next release will have none borrow textures. Also I´m working with clouds.dat and very interesting things can be done so new release would not change only texture files.

Regards
Old 03-15-10, 07:41 AM   #55
snapli
Watch

Downloads: 6

Hi Ailantd,

thank you very much for these improvements, they're great!

Just one thing that is annoying me in SH5: the orientation of the moon is totally wrong! It might be a small detail for the most of you, but for me it's a mood killer (). As the illuminated part of the moon logically follows the sun, it's awful seeing the upper-right (instead of the lower-right) part being enlightened in the evening ...!

Any chance you can change its orientation?

Cheers,

Snake
Old 03-15-10, 01:37 PM   #56
Ailantd
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapli View Post
Hi Ailantd,

thank you very much for these improvements, they're great!

Just one thing that is annoying me in SH5: the orientation of the moon is totally wrong! It might be a small detail for the most of you, but for me it's a mood killer (). As the illuminated part of the moon logically follows the sun, it's awful seeing the upper-right (instead of the lower-right) part being enlightened in the evening ...!

Any chance you can change its orientation?

Cheers,

Snake
Hi.
For me, as amateur astronomer I am, it is also very very annoying. Not only shadow is incorrect, also the sim rotate the moon ,so craters are sometimes north, sometimes south... I have tryed to find some pattern so I can trick the texture, but it is not apparent one. Even worse, one night I even see the mooun raise two times !! The astronomical sistem of the sim is a bit (or a lot) bugy I think. Also, as moon texture and phase texture it is the same one, it is no way they could do it well, and it not apperar to be moddable. Moon face and phases should be different textures so phase could be rendered and rotated over moon face.
Old 03-15-10, 01:42 PM   #57
Ailantd
Bosun

Default Ailsmoke update

Hi,

I have released a new Ailsmoke version 1.7
It fixes torpedo explosion boxes and also improves smoke and lower sparks.

Last edited by Webster; 03-26-10 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-15-10, 02:12 PM   #58
Kpt-Wolf
Watch

Downloads: 2

Great
Old 03-15-10, 02:12 PM   #59
snapli
Watch

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailantd View Post
Hi.
For me, as amateur astronomer I am, it is also very very annoying. Not only shadow is incorrect, also the sim rotate the moon ,so craters are sometimes north, sometimes south... I have tryed to find some pattern so I can trick the texture, but it is not apparent one. Even worse, one night I even see the mooun raise two times !! The astronomical sistem of the sim is a bit (or a lot) bugy I think. Also, as moon texture and phase texture it is the same one, it is no way they could do it well, and it not apperar to be moddable. Moon face and phases should be different textures so phase could be rendered and rotated over moon face.
Hi,

it would have been very funny if the only thing they might have got right was the astronomy

Quite bad if this can't get fixed ... But okay, something else: the reflection of the stars is much too strong!

On the other hand: I'm so annoyed by all the other bugs in this game (no, it's not a sim!) that this is just a teeny tiny detail ...!

Cheers
Old 03-15-10, 03:04 PM   #60
Ailantd
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapli View Post
Hi,

it would have been very funny if the only thing they might have got right was the astronomy

Quite bad if this can't get fixed ... But okay, something else: the reflection of the stars is much too strong!

On the other hand: I'm so annoyed by all the other bugs in this game (no, it's not a sim!) that this is just a teeny tiny detail ...!

Cheers
Completely agree.
Closed Thread