SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-09, 03:34 AM   #91
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post

I should think Melnibonian's interpretation is as good as any, given that Blair's Silent Victory was the first large scale retelling of the submarine war that was then relatively unknown, and therefore "silent", to the public at large. As the Amazon says, "When published in 1975, it was the first such account to detail controversial aspects of the American campaign, from the torpedo scandal to discrepancies between claimed and confirmed sinkings."
That is absolutely correct. As a young child I was almost unaware of the extent the US submarines devastated the Japanese Navy. All the attention was focused on the Atlantic Theater. That can be one of the reasons why even now I am more attached towards German submarines and not the US ones.
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 03:42 AM   #92
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain von Keldunk View Post
Fleetboats will allways be an important part of SH4.
That is absolutely correct.
Quote:
So I do not think that GWX can take such a dominant role in SH4 as it did in SH3.
True I am sure that GWX4 will be a great mod and I will play it a lot,
but there are allready other great mods for fleetboats and U-boats.
That is also correct. Just to make one thing clear though. It has nothing to do with domination of the game. In SH3 (so far at least) the only option you have is to play the German submarines, so one might talk about "Atlantic Domination" and not GWX as there are other good mods out there. With respect to SH4 I am very happy to see good mods for the Pacific Ocean. Nevertheless GWX is just going to use the game engine and there is not any indication or effort to "dominate" the scene as the comparison between the two theaters is impossible. In my opinion with GWX4 we can have the ultimate WWII submariner's dream. One game engine and two different theaters of operations. Each player can play the one he or she likes (I would say the "loud" and "silent" ones but people might missunderstand me so please see this as a joke )
Old 04-19-09, 04:25 AM   #93
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21

Hello
melnibonian = "Just to make one thing clear though. It has nothing to do with domination of the game"
What I ment was about Technical Side of game, like, "jsgme installing option"
also sound, will there be german Speech etc in GWX4, if so it can be made so that German speech will not use all Speech files,like my latest
Sh3 to Sh4 Env mod it uses only one Speech file for german voices, so that when you playgerman side you hear german Speech and when US side English.
To say it shortly : I hope that you can play US side also while GWX4 is installed.
Old 04-19-09, 04:29 AM   #94
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Hello
To say it shortly : I hope that you can play US side also while GWX4 is installed.
Trust me it is my intention to play the US side at some point, but so far I haven't managed to do it. I will do though in the future
Old 04-19-09, 05:34 AM   #95
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Playing GWX and Fleetboats

"Trust me it is my intention to play the US side at some point, but so far I haven't managed to do it. I will do though in the future "
OK THX Me too
Old 04-19-09, 10:36 AM   #96
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian View Post
Trust me it is my intention to play the US side at some point, but so far I haven't managed to do it. I will do though in the future
Quote:
"Trust me it is my intention to play the US side at some point, but so far I haven't managed to do it. I will do though in the future "
OK THX Me too

My humble advice: get a copy of Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous WWII Submarine. I think if you read that (assuming you haven't already ) you will find the Pacific theater very exciting.

As for GWX and US subs, those guys are talented and diligent, but even they cannot do all things for all people. They have chosen to concentrate their energies on U-boats, and their work speaks for itself. I respect their choices.

There are other modders and mod teams who address the Pacific side of SH4, with impressive results.
Old 04-19-09, 11:50 AM   #97
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
My humble advice: get a copy of Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous WWII Submarine. I think if you read that (assuming you haven't already ) you will find the Pacific theater very exciting.
I haven't read that actually. Now I know what to get myself for my birthday Thanks Neal

Quote:
There are other modders and mod teams who address the Pacific side of SH4, with impressive results.
Well said Neal. There are some good mods out there, and thankfully SH4 has a very good game engine to support them.
Old 04-19-09, 01:48 PM   #98
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Hello
I can only recommend Peter Cremers U333 He was Captain of that U_boat.
Also I have read DUST On The SEA" - By Captain Edward L. Beach (Fiction).
Old 04-19-09, 02:01 PM   #99
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Quote:
Hmm will have to get a copy of that one thanks Neal.
Though i need to get another copy of SH4 while im at it. Due to that fact that when we moved a few months back the game case came with us but the disk seems to have gone into storage. (wont be seeing that for a year or so)
Old 04-20-09, 01:09 PM   #100
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Looking back to a couple of responses right after my last post, I think some folks have misunderstood my intent. I wasn't being critical of the GWX guys, I was merely expressing my personal dissapointment that that particular team wasn't working on a mod centered on the Pacific Theater.

That's all. If anything, I feel the team should be complimented that people salivate at the very idea of a 'Pacific GWX'.
Old 04-20-09, 03:04 PM   #101
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Vlad View Post
Looking back to a couple of responses right after my last post, I think some folks have misunderstood my intent. I wasn't being critical of the GWX guys, I was merely expressing my personal dissapointment that that particular team wasn't working on a mod centered on the Pacific Theater.
I can assure you that is not correct. I am sure everyone understood your intention and your well meant comments. It's a shame that GWX concentrate on the Atlantic theater only but on the other hand I feel that people should feel free to work on areas they like and enjoy. The opinions about the different theaters are just that, opinions. Nothing more. Both areas have their merits and thankfully there are some good mods out there to keep the Pacific Players happy. As I said to a previous post the good thing with SH4 and GWX is that in the future there will be a single game engine (SH4) and everyone can chose their mod of choice and their theater of choice. For me that's progress
Old 04-20-09, 03:29 PM   #102
ref
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fair_weather View Post
You guys need to do Normal mapping and bump mapping on that to cut down on the load times with models like that.

The polygon count on that is probably astronomical. And seeing as how a lot of people here don't have that great of a system (some of you do, not talking about you guys) It would probably be a wise idea to have a stunted version of those highpoly models for the low end systems.

Like using LODs (Level of Detail) or something to that effect.

Have a Light version for the SH3 style rigs (None of the grid work on the hull, it's all in the textures) so you don't leave those guys with crappy framerates.

Just my two cents. Looks great anyways
The most demanding part of GWX on the PCs is the increased size of the campaign files, not the graphics, In fact the bulk of the complains on GWX are about the load times, and that's entirely dependant on the size of the campaign, hopefully with the ability of sh4 to split the campaign we can make things better in that area.
About JSGME, the extend and size of the changed files in GWX prevents us from using it, as it should take forever to enable or disable it, it's simpler to have a dual SHx install.
And not all of us have state of the art PCs, I do all my moding in a p4 with 2 gigs of ram, and a medium range GForce , the only really fats thing I've is a stripped disk RAID.

Ref
Old 04-20-09, 05:42 PM   #103
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian View Post
I can assure you that is not correct. I am sure everyone understood your intention and your well meant comments.
I certainly hope so!
Old 04-21-09, 06:21 PM   #104
sh3rules
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 24

Even though they were on the enemy’s side, for some reason I prefer the U-boats. I guess it’s because I find the Atlantic more interesting than the Pacific. To each his own, and I’m thrilled that GWX is coming to SH4.
sh3rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 07:29 PM   #105
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Ref Said:
the only really fats thing I've is a stripped disk RAID.
Keep it clean please! ......

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote