Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-19, 01:29 AM   #1
tomandre81
Watch

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Is this game broken or what?

Suddenly attack scope is not working; have to save, then exit game, load save...now it's working!
Then the "x" to lock target button doesn't work for some reason, so I save the game, then load... but then the game crashes when I reload my save.
I completely go out of the game to windows, then starts it up to try and load my last save. Game crashes.
Not to mention graphical bugs: Smoke dots laying on the ocean. Disappearing if I look away a bit, then re-appear.

Yes, I have the 1.2 version. Yes I use the TWOS mod.
Yes I use the dreaded Steam version, but I followed the installation instruction to the the letter.
Also runs the game as administrator and turn DPI off (recommendation from a user here).

Is it just the Steam version people have trouble with or is the game just unstable?
I heard some here claim it's 100 % CTD proof, and that is why I always take what humans say with a bucket of salt.
tomandre81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 02:21 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

X is not the default key to lock targets, it's SPACEBAR. So I don't know what game you're playing...

I guess the cause of your problems is that you ALT-TAB out of the game, hit ESC to go in menu and pause the game before ALT-Tabbing.

Read the TWOS documentation, the game is fine but more difficult to play compared to SH3, SH4. I suggest that every time you meet difficulty, you do a search in these docs, sorry, there is no turnaround for this. If you run in trouble when operating your sub, your torpedos, your instruments, then read the sticky guides here in the forums, or watch a tutorial video.

Maybe SH5 is too complex for you, then go play SH3, but here too, you need to read a lot of docs if you play with some megamods loaded.

Here the notes about saving games in TWOS, just to give you a slight idea how complex this game is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save the game everytime you start a new campaign or campaign section, just after entering the bunker screen. Save and reload from the main menu. A pop-up text in TWOS will remind you of this. DO IT, or the campaign may not play out correctly!

Don't use Autosaves, don't overwrite old saves, always save in a separate slot, use names without spaces like camp_1, camp_2 etc. to save your campaign progresses.
Autosaves can easily get corrupted and overwriting saves could make your save 'vanish'.

3. Best moments to save...
During the campaign, save when no ships are nearby, far away from bunkers or major ports in open sea in order to minimize save corruptions.
Best moment to save is after a convoy attack and after leaving the place in open sea with no more ships in sight, or after leaving your patrol zone (see next point). Save often in these conditions, the more saves you do the less you need to replay after a possible crash when reloading...

Saving in your patrol zone will unfortunately RESET your required patrol time in that zone. The consequence is not very severe, but it's nasty. So be sure to save just BEFORE you enter the patrol zone (just in case something goes horribly wrong), then patrol your required time in one piece without saving (you can use TC!), then save just AFTER leaving the zone and after you have patrolled the required time in order to secure your progress.

DO NOT SAVE THE GAME WHEN...
- Damaged or combatting AI units are nearby;
- When planes are flying nearby;
- If your sub is damaged and underwater; also don't use TC higher than 16;
- In heavy populated ports or just outside your bunker, go further away.
- If you have finished your time in the patrol zone, then LEAVE IT before saving (see reason above).
The 2 first ones can corrupt your savegames, especially the first one. The other ones can just be fine, but it's not optimum for game stability.

IF YOU GET A CORRUPTED SAVEGAME...
Sometimes you can rescue the save by deleting the file "Special.txt" from your savegame folder (...Documents\SH5\data\cfg\SaveGames\0000000*). Reload the save and pray...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you still here? If you have read all this then the game is for you, else go play a more arcadish sub game...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-05-19 at 03:51 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 03:11 PM   #3
tomandre81
Watch

Default Re:

I am playing Silent Hunter 5 with the twos mod as I was stated.
And yes...here it is "x" to lock a target. I played it for a few days now.
I run it with a mod that came with it "auto recognize target" since I find it a bit boring to scroll through a book every time I see a target. So maybe this mod changes some buttons?

It's not too complex for me. I have no problem sinking ships with 100 % realism setting on.

It's quite clearly from what you written the game is a buggy unstable mess:
"don't do this, don't do that, don't save here, don't save there".
What might be working for you may not be working for others if you have different computer setup

I rather spend time enjoying a stable game without being scared of it crashing any moment now.

I appreciate your answer and I did most of what you recommended before but still it's unstable.

I might come back to it years later with an updated twos version or if I get a new rig.
My rig is fairly good. pretty fast 2 year old computer.
Old 04-05-19, 03:19 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

There are no mods that can correct all unstabilities or flaws of the stock game, only Ubisoft had this faculty by releasing other patches and updates. This didn't happen - all will not happen. Better get used to it. IMO, TWOS is the best approach to an acceptable, functional SH5 game.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 10:02 PM   #5
tomandre81
Watch

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
There are no mods that can correct all unstabilities or flaws of the stock game, only Ubisoft had this faculty by releasing other patches and updates. This didn't happen - all will not happen. Better get used to it. IMO, TWOS is the best approach to an acceptable, functional SH5 game.
Yeah I agree with you. The game is amazing and fun aswell as frustrating hehe.
The other day my crew refused to man the deck gun.
So I had to manually go down to the deck gun and "start it up", then the crew got attached to it. I exited the deck gun and then the crew started shooting lol.

What was funny was that the deck crew officer was just hanging down by the toilets before all this. Maybe he had some bad food? :p