SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-06, 09:10 PM   #1
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Grey Wolf, Hunter of the North Atlantic?

Can anyone tell me anything about this game? I see it on eBay all the time, but have never heard anything about it here. Looks kind of crappy, at first glance, but maybe I am wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Grey-Wolf-RARE-SE...QQcmdZViewItem

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 12:23 AM   #2
The Noob
The Old Man

Downloads: 0

You aren't wrong, i played it. It's a piece o' Sh**. Even wolfpack owns it.
The Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 11:11 AM   #3
AG124
Sea Lord

Default Grey Wolf

I see. I guess I will not be buying it then. But can you tell me anything about it? Such as, does it have a good selection of ships? Does it have decent graphics and models for its time? Does it have a dynamic campaign? Does it have AI submarines?

:hmm:

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 11-23-06, 11:23 AM   #4
Reinhard Hardegen
Raiders of the Deep

Downloads: 255

For the price, if you want to have a look, it not a total lost if you don't like it.

Just a thought...
Reinhard Hardegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 11:44 AM   #5
The Noob
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124
I see. I guess I will not be buying it then. But can you tell me anything about it? Such as, does it have a good selection of ships? Does it have decent graphics and models for its time? Does it have a dynamic campaign? Does it have AI submarines?
l0l it's a simple arcade game. There are only 2 ships, a freighter and a destroyer. Graphics and models suck for it's time, it has no dynamic campaign, and no AI subs either. It's very simple, you head out in the north atlantic at the beginning of a mission, request orders wich will lead to a very simple mission like "sink this there" then you are instantly warped to the grind. The enemy can spot your scope like if it would be a surfaced sub, and the destroyers are dumber than bread (must be commanded by dinsdale). I really can't reccomend it, your better off with Sub Battle Simulator from 1987, even that was more fun.

I played those cheap old games on my old computer (and on a Amiga) even before i had the internet, thats why i know all that.
The Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 09:38 AM   #6
ChristopherT
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noob
I played those cheap old games on my old computer (and on a Amiga) even before i had the internet, thats why i know all that.
I can't add much to that. You do get a stem to stern look at the inside of a U-boat, but there is no crew and not much interaction. Reloads take about 5 seconds per tube. It's a good beer and pretzel game if you are looking for something simple. For a real simulation, I'd recommend Command:Aces of the Deep.

Christopher
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 11:31 AM   #7
AG124
Sea Lord

Default CAOD

Thanks but I know all about AOD and CAOD. I actually played AOD for years until I got SHI. I have both AOD (two copies, actually) and COAD right here next to me now, with the CAOD map on the wall to my right - I don't bother to play any more, but I used to love that game.

DOWNLOAD GWX HERE:
Old 11-24-06, 04:51 PM   #8
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

There's a review here at Subsim about the game. The only other U-boat game I have experience with is CAOD. I played that game to death and even got used to the bugs. I've still got it in near mint condition. The box is a little rough, but hey, it's over ten years old.

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/greywolf.html
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-06, 02:04 PM   #9
Grayback
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherT
I can't add much to that. You do get a stem to stern look at the inside of a U-boat, but there is no crew and not much interaction. Christopher
It must be that haunted U-Boat that I've heard so much about. Apparently the fate of U-Boats isn't to relive the last night of their "lives" over and over as we might have thought (or seen in an episode of Twilight Zone, but to endure a boring existence in an updated version of Gato.
Grayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-06, 07:44 AM   #10
ChristopherT
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayback
It must be that haunted U-Boat that I've heard so much about. Apparently the fate of U-Boats isn't to relive the last night of their "lives" over and over as we might have thought (or seen in an episode of Twilight Zone, but to endure a boring existence in an updated version of Gato.
Hmm, I wonder if Jason or Grant (TAPS) have ever investigated a Uboat? Maybe they could start with the old U-505 in Chicago and test it for EVP's?

Christopher
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote