SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-10, 09:18 AM   #421
Zel
Sailor man

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
I think it'd be quite un-realistic to think the SH4 engine could manage heli's with dipping sonar, but could an ASW aircraft such as the Orion or the Tupolev May be conceived? With Sonar Buoys spawned as separate immobile units?

In the stock game, the aircraft's visual sensor is enough, because you are surfaced most of the time. Now, you'll be submerged, and aircraft should have a way of detecting you.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make aircraft spawn sono buoys. I'm not sure what would be the best way to configure aircraft sensors. Maybe a mounted hydrophone/sound gear? Or a visual, so he can launch torpedoes..

I have sonobuoys which can be pre-placed in the mission editor. It's better than nothing!
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 11:01 AM   #422
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhapprich View Post
ETRSS, I would very much appreciate if you didn`t repost MY mod.I am currently reworking files and will make a download available again when i`m finished ,for several reasons.
The thought never crossed my mind honestly. I'm pretty reluctant to post my own WIP let alone the WIP of someone else.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 11:16 AM   #423
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

thank you, never thought that either.
Old 12-09-10, 12:00 PM   #424
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Well what I was thinking Zel, would be that as an aircraft reaches its waypoint end or what ever patrol box is defined, it would "spawn" drop sonobuoys, which are completely independent units themselves (they are immobile still).

The way I'm thinking this might work is as they listen in on passive whatever they hear they report back to the a/c, just as now, when a destroyer detects you he tells his friends correct? So this way, the sonobuoys give the general location they've got on you to the a/c who then proceeds to drop depth charges or homing torpedos. Sound plausible?

Also, have we developed torpedos that can change depth by themselves? Would kind of suck to have another sub launch a torpedo at you only to change depth by 20-30ft and it cant hit you cause its above or below it.
Old 12-09-10, 12:30 PM   #425
Zel
Sailor man

Yes, i think that a waypoint triggered spawn could work, using the mission editor. The sonobuoy has a passive sensor and it reports your position to nearby units, just like a merchant would.

For the AI torpedo depth, i found no solution, other than a huge magnetic radius. You can set an operational depth, an that's it.

I have 3 ai torpedoes right now: Shallow - against surfaced targets only, medium depth (50 m depth, blast radius 100 m), and deep (150 m depth, blast radius 100 m).

However, the deep torpedo will go too shallow under time compression.

I also have ai launchers for mines and decoys (still buggy). The decoys are supposed to fool the player by having a submarine_hyd sound.
Old 12-09-10, 12:33 PM   #426
Zel
Sailor man

For the player's torpedoes, a huge blast radius is not necessary. Because of a bug in Sh4, it's possible to find out a sub's depth, using active pings.
Old 12-09-10, 12:59 PM   #427
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel View Post
For the player's torpedoes, a huge blast radius is not necessary. Because of a bug in Sh4, it's possible to find out a sub's depth, using active pings.
I've not heard of this bug, but then again there isn't a lot of sub on sub combat in SH4 so it's not surprising. Could you explain this bug more?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 01:23 PM   #428
Zel
Sailor man

Yes, the sonar ping works only on targets which are about +/- 47 m depth relative to your sub. A target that's 50 m above or below you, you can't ping no matter what.

So for example, an AI sub is at 100 m depth, you are at 20. You can hear his engine, but no ping return. So you go deeper. At 60 meters, you start to get ping returns. Add 47, you get 107. You would then launch your torpedo from this depth, after you got a solution. It requires about 10-12 m blast radius, but that's nowhere near 100 m!

It's not as simple as ordering dive, and hitting the ping key while you go down. I've found that your sub has to be completely level for ping to work. After each depth change you need to wait a while for the sub to level.

I've found that binding "sonar ping" and "send sonar range to tdc" to the same key makes the process less frustrating. Subs are tricky to ping, you must point exactly at the correct bearing.

That's the process, but i'm running v1.4..hope they didn't fix this bug in 1.5!
Old 12-09-10, 02:39 PM   #429
Yamato_NF
King of the Ocean

Downloads: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhapprich View Post
ETRSS, I would very much appreciate if you didn`t repost the mod.I am currently reworking files and will make a download available again when i`m finished ,for several reasons.

To Yamato_NF : Please send your requests concerning CWSS to me since i made - and feel responsible for - it.A new release will be coming soon.

hmm.... never thought of that jhapprich.
sorry.
Nice mod BTW,
PS i found a way to make the OscarII PLAYABLE IN CAMPAIGN!!!!
Yamato_NF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 04:59 PM   #430
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Uploads: 1

Ja, the only problem with a large blast radius is.. well.. if you add 12m blast radius then its kind of hard to dodge that haha
Old 12-09-10, 05:15 PM   #431
Zel
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Ja, the only problem with a large blast radius is.. well.. if you add 12m blast radius then its kind of hard to dodge that haha
It's possible do dodge an ai torpedo with a 100m blast range. If you are far away, order ahead flank to get out of the torpedo's path and then order All Stop before the torp locks on you. If you are less than 1000 m away from the enemy, then you may be able to pass by the torpedo before it arms. In the end, the best option is to stay undetected, which is very possible by silent running, or staying in his baffles.

I've had issues with units in formation or wolfpack blowing each other up with their torpedoes. The solution is either a tight spacing (<400 m) or very loose spacing (5 km or more).
Old 12-12-10, 02:27 PM   #432
Yamato_NF
King of the Ocean

Oscar II Career Playable

hello mates.
with a few modifications, i made the Oscar II Playable in Campaign!
Screens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56039565@N02/5253263484/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56039565@N02/5253263478/

Credit goes to jhapprich for the files for the Oscar II (i copied and pasted the Flotillas.upc and CareerStart.upc in the JSGME Folder and edited them )
Old 12-13-10, 09:07 AM   #433
waxx
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato_NF View Post
hello mates.
with a few modifications, i made the Oscar II Playable in Campaign!
Screens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56039565@N02/5253263484/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56039565@N02/5253263478/

Credit goes to jhapprich for the files for the Oscar II (i copied and pasted the Flotillas.upc and CareerStart.upc in the JSGME Folder and edited them )
:r ock:
waxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-10, 11:07 AM   #434
Yamato_NF
King of the Ocean

Playable Oscar II

ok mates, i made 3 other subs available in 1939 in career:
Delta IV, Victor III, and to come: the Kilo desiel boat.

to jhapprich, i would like your permission to post a new link for my modified
Oscar II. Which is campaign playable starting in 1939.
if you give the go, ill post a Filefront link.

Cheers, Yamato_NF.
Old 12-13-10, 02:11 PM   #435
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

go ahead.ps its "Diesel" ;-)

Tags
modern, submarine