SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-10, 02:06 AM   #286
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default AI subs `n`torpedos

noticed the ai submarine-post i send some time ago? i`ve recently made some mod changes and forgot about the AI-LA`s torpedo deployment. running the test mission, i notized the enemy kirov capital ships being hit by several torpedoes fired from the ai`s quite accurately from 800-1000 metres away. when i checked the files, i registered they where now using the shkwal rocket torpedo at 200 knots of speed.for some reason that even solved the problem of having them fire in the wrong direction. i am now trying to make the surface /submerge behavior a triggered animation, i.e. to make the sub dive in case of an attack. i am also experimenting with subs based on the cmdr_AIplane controller. have you found a working way to increase the speed of AirTopedos?
Old 11-11-10, 10:18 AM   #287
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

I also found a marked increase in accuracy when you increase the torpedo speed .... however if you do a test with a sub in the general "area" ... starting, say 8000m - 15000m away from the intedned target, I found that the target would set off all it's topredoes as soon as it's launcher was in range - and at 200 knots the range is quite significant .... and they all miss. By the time the target get's within a more reasonable range (less than 5000m) ... it is always out of ammo.

I did a whole bunch of work to try and tune accuracy without increase the speed of the ammunition ... what worked best was have 4 tubes firing, each with a slightly different angle of tilt on the horizontal - effectively creating a salvo spread over an angle of around 20 degrees. When 4 fish were launched, at least 1 or 2 hit.... however, the early engeagement issue and therefore out of ammo result still persists ... the range of a gun in SH4.sim file means nothing .... it's the actual ammunition velocity which determines range.... and even at relativel slow speeds, the game thinks it has a long range.

I guess another fix is to give the sub a different AI sensor ... but that would prevent it tracking down a target in any way. Basically the way it works now is if the sub detects the target, it fires.
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 04:32 PM   #288
Marka Ragnos
Weps

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Thank you for your feedback Marka. I'm aware of the torpedo and periscope issues already. My focus is more on the CTD. Did you experience any while doing multiple missions (one after another)? This is the problem I'm trying to sort out at the moment as it can really take a way from the experience.
For now it only happens when i exit, not when i choose another mission or so.
Old 11-12-10, 04:45 AM   #289
Herr_Pete
Commodore

Downloads: 102

Hi there guys, after a year I have re-installed SH4 but sadly I have misplaced the U-Boat missions cd. Do any of these Modern Submarines work with just 1.4?

Pete
Herr_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 04:48 AM   #290
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka Ragnos View Post
For now it only happens when i exit, not when i choose another mission or so.
I d/loaded the sub yesterday and took it for a spin in FOTRS single missions and i was impressed even got her to go down over 1008 FT however as soon as i tried it out on the battle of samar it CTD.
Old 11-12-10, 05:03 AM   #291
Herr_Pete
Commodore

I have noticed Los Angeles, Skipjack and Ohio are all available for 1.4.

I have downloaded them and extracted them to the MODS folder, activated 1 at a time via GM enabler but in game I haven't noticed them anywhere.

Do they replace any of the ww2 subs or should they be stand alone?

My SH4 is up to 1.4 and Vanilla otherwise.

Pete
Old 11-12-10, 05:05 AM   #292
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hey pete , never tested the stuff with v1.4, so i can`t tell...
Old 11-12-10, 10:15 AM   #293
Herr_Pete
Commodore

Managed to get every single submarine working. Fantastic mods!! love them.

Skipjack however seems to lose its Conning tower when all mods are applied. Not to sure why? is this a known issue?

Is the Soviet Alpha class submarine available to?
Old 11-12-10, 12:02 PM   #294
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Pete View Post
Managed to get every single submarine working. Fantastic mods!! love them.

Skipjack however seems to lose its Conning tower when all mods are applied. Not to sure why? is this a known issue?

Is the Soviet Alpha class submarine available to?
look for a unitpartsXAlpha where x is the subs unitparts number and renumber it after the last existing number f.i. if you have subs -> unitsparts
16Alpha

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 04:10 PM   #295
Dr.Silversides
Watch

Downloads: 15

Hey, everybody. I've been out of the loop with this ongoing project, so I've been going back through and trying to read up on progress. First off the cold war mod is ammmaaazzzinnggg. It isn't completed yet, is it? Is there a link for the download? What is the overall progress on it? This thing is gonna be awesome. Thanks for making it!
"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out, yet I keep them because...In spite of everything, I still believe that people are truly good at heart"-Anne Frank
Dr.Silversides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 06:49 PM   #296
Kromus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 135

@jhapprich

You are doing some unbelievable work here (with everyone else involed too of course), can`t wait to play with Oscar-II class .
Kromus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-10, 06:52 PM   #297
jhapprich
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Work proceeds slowly. The redesign of the surface fleets take a lot of time.
haven`t done much about the campaign.no, there is no download available yet. the oscar has been implemented, the triton model is half-finished. an alfa is available, but thanks to hotmanandre i was given a more detailed model which needs some rework, so there will be a different version in the final mod.for some reason the akula doesn`t work any longer, haven`t found the reason yet. the nimitz class carriers are ingame now. any interested modders are free to help.
Old 11-14-10, 04:06 AM   #298
Marka Ragnos
Weps

Downloads: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhapprich View Post
Work proceeds slowly. The redesign of the surface fleets take a lot of time.
haven`t done much about the campaign.no, there is no download available yet. the oscar has been implemented, the triton model is half-finished. an alfa is available, but thanks to hotmanandre i was given a more detailed model which needs some rework, so there will be a different version in the final mod.for some reason the akula doesn`t work any longer, haven`t found the reason yet. the nimitz class carriers are ingame now. any interested modders are free to help.

What type of modders do you need?

I have some basic knowledge in editing various settings like speed, torpedoes range and power.

Editing dds files and stuff like that.
I know it's not much but i would like to help wherever possible.
Marka Ragnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 02:27 PM   #299
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

I second Marka.
I've collected a lot of stuff concerning the Cold War over the years and I'm halfway decent at building 3d models (I'm better at kitbashing but I've done some decent work on my own before) as well as run-of-the-mill modding. I started my SH4 modding career waaayyyyy back working with CW subs
XP

so I can test, and if I find a problem I can fix it, if I can't I know someone who does...and I'd love to help put this thing together
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 02:50 PM   #300
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_311 View Post
I d/loaded the sub yesterday and took it for a spin in FOTRS single missions and i was impressed even got her to go down over 1008 FT however as soon as i tried it out on the battle of samar it CTD.
So it worked for one mission and then it CTD on the next correct? Could you try it again without FOTRS and see what happens?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modern, submarine