SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-07, 02:51 AM   #1
jimmie
Lieutenant

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Reason for 10x attack scope in GWX2

vBulletin's search function is useless aginst whole text search in a long page thread...

This must have been discussed before but I didn't know so, can someone tell me why 10x was chosen for the high power magnification in the attack scope? Is it rather because of SH3 limitaion (relating to visibility)?

Hitman's info suggests both scope had 1.5x and 6x:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=118829&page=7

Just curious to know.
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 02:57 AM   #2
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

The 10x Scope has been included in all versions of GWX for a few reasons:

1) The need to identify all contacts by looking at their flag because all contacts are grey.
2) We're playing a game as such the visuals are not as good as the MKI Eyeball.
Old 12-24-07, 04:11 AM   #3
jimmie
Lieutenant

I see. Thanks for the info
jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 08:04 AM   #4
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Hi!

That was a good question!

Jimbuna is correct; I will just add that another reason for making the scope a bit more powerful than in real life was that the 6X scope in Silent Hunter III didn't give you anywhere near the capability to identify a ship's flag that a decent 6X set of binoculars had in real life (as tested by GWX Team members).

SH4 seems to have solved this by making using king-sized bedsheets for flags; GWX took the approach of boosting the apparent magnification to provide the same effect.

I'll add a mention of this in the manual.

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 12:23 PM   #5
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo
Hi!

SH4 seems to have solved this by making using king-sized bedsheets for flags; GWX took the approach of boosting the apparent magnification to provide the same effect.

Pablo
King size bedsheets hay.... No wonder why sailers are sharing bunks.
Old 12-24-07, 12:29 PM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
Quote:
Hi!

Pablo
King size bedsheets hay.... No wonder why sailers are sharing bunks.
That only happens on subs... ...that's why I was a surface sailor in the US Navy
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 02:18 PM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Hi!

That was a good question!

Jimbuna is correct; I will just add that another reason for making the scope a bit more powerful than in real life was that the 6X scope in Silent Hunter III didn't give you anywhere near the capability to identify a ship's flag that a decent 6X set of binoculars had in real life (as tested by GWX Team members).

I'll add a mention of this in the manual.

Pablo
Not me matey....I think you meant Dan Dan the sailor man

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 10:50 PM   #8
Storabrun
Loader

Actually, there is no need to justify it with visuals beeing worse in a game than in real life. The scope view is shrunk to fit into the "hole" that is your periscope and the end result is something very close to a magnification of 6. To get a real magnification of 10 the magnification would need to be raised to 16-17.

I never thought about this myself until I installed OLC GUI where observation scope and binoculars fill the screen. The magnifications are left at 6 in that mod but everything appears just as big as in the 10x scope in GWX because there is no shrinking needed there.
Storabrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 02:16 AM   #9
Bilgerat
Swabbie

The only reason that i dont use the 10x mag is that i can instantly get the range of targets in the 6x mode without the use of the stadimeter.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 05:43 AM   #10
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerat
The only reason that i dont use the 10x mag is that i can instantly get the range of targets in the 6x mode without the use of the stadimeter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storabrun
Actually, there is no need to justify it with visuals beeing worse in a game than in real life. The scope view is shrunk to fit into the "hole" that is your periscope and the end result is something very close to a magnification of 6. To get a real magnification of 10 the magnification would need to be raised to 16-17.

I never thought about this myself until I installed OLC GUI where observation scope and binoculars fill the screen. The magnifications are left at 6 in that mod but everything appears just as big as in the 10x scope in GWX because there is no shrinking needed there.
You are missing the point guys.

The magnification levels in GWX were set to assist the player in visually identifying FLAGS/NATIONALITIES more effectively than in stock SH3. Doing so makes up for a lack of visual acuity caused by graphic limitations in SH3. The reasoning behind it is just as valid today as it was yesterday.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 05:45 AM   #11
ref
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat
If you're talking about the assisted targeting mode, the game doesn't use the scope view to calculate the distance, it just reads the x and z coordinates of the ship and makes some trig.

Ref
Old 01-17-08, 06:04 AM   #12
Bilgerat
Swabbie

no i do it totaly with the marks on the left. for instance if i set the horizontal on the waterline as if you were going to use the stadimeter. but then i line the mast up with the marks on the left then count down from the top. i count each mark as 20, so if its 10 marks then 20 x the mast heigth divided by the the marks up from the horizontal line gives the range. ive dead centered ship up to 7200 yards with this. i estimate speed with the hydrophones and seem to be lucky with aob. this keeps me from having to plot multiple times and is very useful against fast ships.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 07:57 AM   #13
Storabrun
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann

The magnification levels in GWX were set to assist the player in visually identifying FLAGS/NATIONALITIES more effectively than in stock SH3. Doing so makes up for a lack of visual acuity caused by graphic limitations in SH3. The reasoning behind it is just as valid today as it was yesterday.
I don't think I missed that point. I just wanted to add another good reason for raising the magnification from 6 to 10. What you have done is basically to fix a bug or oversight that existed in stock. Which was that magifying something by 6 is not enough if you are going to shrink that picture later (to 60%) to fit into the hole that is our attack scope.
Storabrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 08:25 AM   #14
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storabrun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann

I don't think I missed that point. I just wanted to add another good reason for raising the magnification from 6 to 10. What you have done is basically to fix a bug or oversight that existed in stock. Which was that magifying something by 6 is not enough if you are going to shrink that picture later (to 60%) to fit into the hole that is our attack scope.
Ahh now I understand you. Looks like we killed two birds with one stone then.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 08:26 AM   #15
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
no i do it totaly with the marks on the left. for instance if i set the horizontal on the waterline as if you were going to use the stadimeter. but then i line the mast up with the marks on the left then count down from the top. i count each mark as 20, so if its 10 marks then 20 x the mast heigth divided by the the marks up from the horizontal line gives the range
Yup, that's correct, as it means using the "stadia", where the stadimeter takes its name from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadia_rod#Stadia_rods

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/astro/stadia.htm

http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/E7171E/E7171E03.htm