SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-08, 10:43 PM   #3076
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilhmar
Does anyone here know how thick the gun shields of U-boat flak guns were? I know the army Flakpanzer versions had between 20 and 25 mm thick gun shields, but this sounds perhaps a bit excessive for a U-boat installation.
Hi!

Most U-boat guns of any type did not have a shield. Flak without shields include all 2cm single and double mounts, as well as the U-boat version of the 3.7cm SKC/30.

John Campbell (Naval Weapons of World War II. Conway Maritime Press: 1985) gives a thickness of 12mm for the 2cm Vierlings L38/43 (that's "Flakvierling" for those of you playing Silent Hunter III) used by the Kriegsmarine.

Pablo

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 01:03 AM   #3077
Dreamer
Sailor man

Downloads: 31

Re-installing the whole deal yet again seems to have solved the crashing issue for me. I've been able to load two individual saves two times each with no problems. Wooo! Now to go do my first OLC GUI / GWX patrol...
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 03:40 AM   #3078
Metus
Swabbie

Downloads: 33

I am playing GWX 2.0 since released and have to say it's great. Actually it was the first time for me that I really want to play a modded game instead of the original .
Reading some threads about CTDs when loading saved games mostly crashing while or shortly after showing the "Noch nicht so lange her" text, I decided to tell about my experience: It seemed to be a quite random crash - killing my nerves in 11 Feindfahrten - but especially often after sinking a ship shortly/minutes ago. Actually I could solve the problem now simply by deactivating the Enhanced Damage Effects mod. No crashes so far in the 12th.
In fact I like the EDE Mod and hope it will work for me in 2.1
Metus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 06:18 AM   #3079
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
Re-installing the whole deal yet again seems to have solved the crashing issue for me. I've been able to load two individual saves two times each with no problems. Wooo! Now to go do my first OLC GUI / GWX patrol...
Congratulations ........yet further testimony to the fact that the vast majority of problems are caused by faulty installations, and most of the remainder by user/player adding additional incompatable content.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 06:36 AM   #3080
Mikey_Wolf
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

I think what most people forget is U-Boat pressure hulls were flexible rather than completely solid, if they were totally solid, they run the risk of cracking under the pressure the deeper they go.

.50 cal bullets are armour piercing, ripping through a U-Boat would be no problem, if you rake up the ballast tanks you are stuffed, no more diving.

Also, you can fight it out with planes in GWX quite well, but if you are expecting to emerge unscathed - don't. lol Expect to be trashed in the attempt.

Mikey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 09:40 AM   #3081
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I finally was able to look at my computer again, and loaded up GWX2. Kiel is lovely, what with surrounding cities and docks and Graf Zeppelin sitting there in all her glory (not to mention only one lighthouse ).

I used the the 'Kiel Out' auto-nav, and ran aground about 3/4 of the way through. Is this one of the problems caused by not doing a complete delete/reinstall? I ask because for the present I'm just poking around and experimenting, and I keep a stock/1.4b Data folder handy for quick switches. I'll do the full deed before I embark on a real career.

I also remember reading that some people have experienced slow rising at all stop at periscope depth and slow sinking at deeper depths, and thought this sounded pretty cool, but when I tried it nothing happened. Same question as above.
Old 01-28-08, 09:49 AM   #3082
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25

Steve...It's important that you select the "route out" of the canal as soon as your game opens...if your boat moves at ALL...from wave action or whatever, it can throw you off just a tiny bit, which sounds like what may of happened. I'm up to Mar 41, anticipating a move to brest in June, and have used it everytime, and not had a problem.

However, I do recall pulling out of the slip once, forgetting about that, took the boat back into the slip and trying to set those waypoints again...and it was all botched up...so set it as soon as you can.

Can't help with the buoyancy issue..sorry
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 10:05 AM   #3083
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Steve, you should have left Kiel by the other route, if only to see the Memorial (FYI try to see it at night).

donw is correct, the auto plot must be used before moving out of your dock.

FYI, don't do what I did the other day, autoplot the route and then not tell the NO to follow plotted route.

Must feel good to be back at sea.
Old 01-28-08, 10:29 AM   #3084
Storabrun
Loader

Downloads: 0

A dot on the map at the starting location in Kiel would solve this, wouldn't it? Just like the dot used for inbound.
Storabrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 10:35 AM   #3085
donw
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storabrun
A dot on the map at the starting location in Kiel would solve this, wouldn't it? Just like the dot used for inbound.
It might...but if your bearing has changed one tiny bit...it'll still be botched

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
autoplot the route and then not tell the NO to follow plotted route.
:rotfl:Boy!...does that sound familier!
Old 01-28-08, 11:24 AM   #3086
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I did that as well, and only corrected it when I noticed I was well past the first plot point.:rotfl: The odd part is I didn't actually run aground until several game-hours later. As I said, I was more than halfway through the Kanal when it happened.

And yes, though I'm not even close to actually playing a career yet, it does feel good; especially as I'm finally able to get back to work on my own 'mod'. Also, though I took the Kanal route, I did 'fly' over to the Memorial.

GWX2 is beautiful to look at and a bear to get used to. I tried 'Happy Times' and was spotted almost instantly! While I was grousing about it I did some thinking: In AOD I always waited until I was about 5000 meters from a convoy before diving. Being spotted at 9000 meters was upsetting, but then I realized that that's fairly close to 10,000 yards, which is only five nautical miles, and any navy lookout worth his salt should at least have chance of spotting a surfaced sub at that range on a clear day. After all, Rodney opened fire on Bismarck at more than twice that, and that was a choppy, overcast morning. Granted, a submarine isn't a battleship, but still...

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 01-28-08 at 01:02 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 12:38 PM   #3087
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Must bring back memories of your very first patrol all those years back (SH years)

Old 01-28-08, 02:35 PM   #3088
deadparrot
Swabbie

Downloads: 9

I recently recieved an Email from subsim that got interested in playing again. Especially after reading this forum about the GWX 2.0 mod.

Problem is that I can't seem to get it installed. In SH3 I can see version 1.4 in the corner. The patch from ubi to 1.4b doesn't work so I asume the 1.4 in the corner means I already have it.

I used the files on files filefront. After just a minute or two I get a message saying "startcampaign.tga (source file is corrupted)"
abort, ignore, cancel"

Probably I need to download one of them again? If so wich one?
deadparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 02:44 PM   #3089
donw
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadparrot
Use the hash program to compare whats shown on the GWX download website...and what you have...

That will allow you to narrow down to which is corrupted..(if any or all)
Old 01-28-08, 02:46 PM   #3090
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadparrot
I recently recieved an Email from subsim that got interested in playing again. Especially after reading this forum about the GWX 2.0 mod.

Problem is that I can't seem to get it installed. In SH3 I can see version 1.4 in the corner. The patch from ubi to 1.4b doesn't work so I asume the 1.4 in the corner means I already have it.

I used the files on files filefront. After just a minute or two I get a message saying "startcampaign.tga (source file is corrupted)"
abort, ignore, cancel"

It sounds like your disc already has the patch included.

I'm not sure which FF files your referring to, but if your getting a corrupted file warning you may want to consider uninstalling everything (via your disc) and perform a reinstall.
It could save you hours of hard work. :hmm:

9 times out of 10 it's not the files you've d/l but the fact your initial install was not on a 100% unmodded game install.