SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-28-17, 06:35 PM   #1
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Anybody using a Logitech G13 Gamepad?

Noob here,

There are one heck of a lot of keyboard commands to remember. Now in my wicked past I used a Thrustmaster Cougar on on my IL2, EAW, etc. sims. ( still got a couple kicking around house.) I just bought a G13 gamepad and would like some ideas on setups, programming and stuff. Anybody using something similar with Cold Waters.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

A Simmer once known as Mane_Raptor
origl_main_raptor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 03:57 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >origl_main_raptor2
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 05:20 AM   #3
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

[QUOTE=THEBERBSTER;2503437][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >origl_main_raptor2

Thanks......

Just starting this underwater thingme. I really like the idea of combat in 3 dimensions, kinda like flight sims, only your blindfolded and the "air" is a bit thicker.
Old 07-30-17, 06:38 AM   #4
SeaCadt07
Swabbie

Downloads: 209

If you get your game controller set up in a way you like, please share it. I'm interested in trying out switching from kb/m to game controller myself. Will make it easier to sit on the couch and play on the big screen
SeaCadt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 09:09 AM   #5
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Default Will do

I hear ya... Got a 65" 4K myself and the eye candy is fantastic with CW.

Old 08-04-17, 11:34 AM   #6
origl_main_raptor2
Swabbie

Default Progress Report

Ok, the good:

I've got the mini-joystick working like a Flightsim stick, i.e. if you push it 45 degrees to the upper left, the sub does turn and dive to that course. The only problem is that it continues to increase the rudder and planes deflection, but since the G13's stick has a down press function, I've assigned the "steady and level" command to that down press. In use one has to move the stick in the direction you want, press down on the stick, then resume your direction to continue the turn and/or dive. A bit awkward, but it works once you get use to it. Should work great in avoiding those pesky torps that people keep shooting at ya.

The Bad:

The actual keypad on the G13 has 22 keys. There are a total of 67 commands (if my counting is right) listed on the "options/controls" screen.
ANYBODY KNOW WHERE THAT FILE IS STORED?
So to get them all in, I've had to do a bit of "shoehorning". Fortunately the G13 allows 3 Modes within each game profile. First Mode is what I call Nav Mode, that is those commands that move the boat, plus the Emg Blow Ballast and the various "mast commands". Second Mode, is of course, Combat. That mode uses the most keys, but I'm looking to combine some using a macro or two. Third Mode is Display, where the various camera commands, HUD and Tact Map toggles, and map centering commands reside.
In each of the modes, I've assigned keys for Help and Cancel/Quit.

The Ugly:

Switching between modes takes some getting used to, the keys to do that are very conveniently placed about where Function Keys are on a normal keyboard. And the software that comes with the product allows you to light up each mode with a different color. And some of those are pretty D**M ugly.

And yes, the color for Combat Mode is RED.....what else would it be?