SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-20, 11:58 AM   #271
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

First he made it known we have the capabilty to find you and and your life. Also interesting he called Iran and its leadership a terrorist state and then invited everyone but china to put an end to Iranian terrorism. That same China that is using its economy to support Iran and its ambitions to control middle easteen affairs.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 11:58 AM   #272
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Correct. But failure to have an independant investigation will fuel the conspiracy theories.
actually the Ethiopians also refused to turn over the black box to Boeing in that crash of a 737zMAX in favor of giving it to another unbiased investigatory body; so there's precedent....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 12:11 PM   #273
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
seriously thats all you got out of that?
Me? Yeah, that's the takeaway, after you filter through the rhetoric.

Jeff used the analogy of Trump holding a gun at their head. But he had that gun at their head before the missile strike.

Still backing down.

I don't mind, but it is what it is. They fired ballistic missiles from Iran specifically targeting US troops. We do nothing in return but give a confused speech.

Ok.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 12:19 PM   #274
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

They fired ballistic missiles from Iran specifically targeting US troops. We do nothing in return but give a confused speech.

Ok.
Iran informed Iraq of what they were up to ... presumed Iraq told the US military to be ready ... at least one missile was shot down and the parts shown on TV.

The 737 was on fire before it crashed in flames

I would say Iran backed down first
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 12:19 PM   #275
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
First he made it known we have the capabilty to find you and and your life. Also interesting he called Iran and its leadership a terrorist state and then invited everyone but china to put an end to Iranian terrorism. That same China that is using its economy to support Iran and its ambitions to control middle easteen affairs.
Listen to it again. He did say China.
Old 01-08-20, 12:23 PM   #276
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

cool Warning to DPRK regime!

Quote:
With the exception of letting Iran and others know we will play hardball, we will stand our ground, we will defend our embassies and we will target the head of the snake. It appears we are going back to business as usual.

Iran's response to Solemani's death was a joke nothing more than PR stunt.
Quote:
Live Trump speech, parsing through the usual rambling gibberish, he's backing down.
Quote:
Yeah, maybe so.

But he had that gun at there head before the missile strike.

Still backing down.
Quote:
Much like the decision to drop the atomic bomb in a clearly defeated Japan was in reality a message to Stalin for his post-war iron curtain consideration... the snakehead strike against an Iranian general and his Shia militia sidekick(a two for one opportunity) sends a big 'whoa' to fatboy in North Korea's aggressive policy(s). He now has to consider that next meeting with the 'blond meglomaniac dealmaker' could end disasterously as he arrives at the customary DMZ in his unsanctioned Mercedes-Maybach armored limo...clearly the 'Tweeter-In-Chief' can, will, and has drawn a red line in the sand! one thing all dictators understand: "Fear is an instrument of state" and we got Raptors with Hellfire missiles; and a certain penchant for using them... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-07/trump-s-targeted-iran-killing-is-kim-jong-un-s-biggest-fear

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-08-20 at 05:12 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 12:31 PM   #277
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Sorry missed that then, I was driving to work when I was listening all I heard was NATO, Russia. Inviting China is just as good. They are supporting what Trump just called a terrorist state Iran economically and they will be concerned about how that looks on the world stage.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-08-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 12:44 PM   #278
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Exclamation

Wars are nolonger fought with grand armies its fought with economies and currency. Also backing down is when you allow embassies to be overrun and your personel slaughtered. I think this time we did a pretty good job making it known we will not let that happen again.

Also add that I couldnt see us escalting this into a shooting war. They told us when and where, they telegraphed their punch and used it for their own propaganda.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-08-20 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 12:53 PM   #279
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Much like the decision to drop the atomic bomb in a clearly defeated Japan was in reality a message to Stalin for his post-war iron curtain consideration... the snakehead strike against an Iranian general and his Shia militia sidekick(a two for one oppotunity) sends a big 'whoa' to fatboy in North Korea's aggressive policy(s). He now has to consider that next meeting with the 'blond meglomaniac dealmaker' could end disasterously as he arrives at the customary DMZ in his unsanctioned Mercedes-Maybach armored limo...clearly the 'Tweeter-In-Chief' can, will, and has drawn a red line in the sand! one thing all dictators understand: "Fear is an instrument of state" and we got Raptors with Hellfire missiles; and a certain penchant for using them...

I wouldn't see this at all as a message to NK.

NK has nuclear weapons, and look how soft and soapy the treatment from the US is.

Iran does not have nuclear weapons and look what happens.
Old 01-08-20, 12:56 PM   #280
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Among the victims were 82 Iranians, 63 Canadians, 11 Ukrainians including all nine crew, 10 Swedes, four Afghans, three Britons and three Germans.

Among them 30 from my city (Edmonton) and 27 where student or teacher at my University. Sad day
UglyMowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 02:44 PM   #281
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I have tried to analyze, with my little knowledge I possess, this attack.

A country consist of two type of people-those who only knows what the Politicians and the news tells them
and the politicians who know a little bit more.

The ordinary Iranian wanted revenge for the killing of this military leader.
The Iranian government know they would not stand a chance in a head to head combat with USA.

So they not only chose those target, they also gave the Iraqi government a pre-warning(I guess they predicted Iraq would warn USA troops)
They missed those targets on purpose(been said by some Danish military)

They manage to hit two flies in one blow
1. They gave what the people wanted - revenge
2. They manage to prevent further US engagement
(If they had attacked other bases like in SA or Kuwait or some military warship in the Hormuz) an American response would have been)(forgot rest of the words))

Yes I know I'm wrong..

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 03:12 PM   #282
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ No Mapuc, you are not

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 03:31 PM   #283
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Call me a pessimist, but I'm still on pins and needles hoping we don't have an "Archduke Ferdinand" moment sometime in the next few weeks which plunges us into World War III.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 03:44 PM   #284
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Both sides were communicating to each other in strikes.

US: "Hello, long time no see!"
Iran: "Oh, Hi, I'm in a hurry, sorry."

Both sides do not want a war at this time, for different reasons.

However, the Archduke Ferdinand could be delivered by the Frankenstein monsters that Iran has created: the variuous Shia militia it claled to life thropughout the region and thjat may decide that they do not want to listen to their masters this time.

So further events are possible, but unlikely to come form Iran directly, but from its proxies.

Propaganda points scored by both sides. Thats why all are willing to live with the status quo of today, for the time being. And Trump gets a bonus point for his election campaign by having taken out a real big really bad fish - something that Obama and Bush did not have the guts to do. I must give him that.

Onm the other hanbd,m the ZUS pays a heavy stratgeic price. The reoigme is strongthened, the opposition to it has reunited behind it, and the inflouenc eof Iran inside Iraq has grown massively and the antipathy inside Iraq to the US has decreased. Whether the kill was worth this price, future will show. I dare no assessment today.

Mind you, Trump promised to move the US out of its wars, not moving it into a new one. And his voters want not to be driven into a new war.
Old 01-08-20, 03:55 PM   #285
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I have tried to analyze, with my little knowledge I possess, this attack.

A country consist of two type of people-those who only knows what the Politicians and the news tells them
and the politicians who know a little bit more.

The ordinary Iranian wanted revenge for the killing of this military leader.
The Iranian government know they would not stand a chance in a head to head combat with USA.

So they not only chose those target, they also gave the Iraqi government a pre-warning(I guess they predicted Iraq would warn USA troops)
They missed those targets on purpose(been said by some Danish military)

They manage to hit two flies in one blow
1. They gave what the people wanted - revenge
2. They manage to prevent further US engagement
(If they had attacked other bases like in SA or Kuwait or some military warship in the Hormuz) an American response would have been)(forgot rest of the words))

Yes I know I'm wrong..

Markus
That's okay Markus, but you left out the Boeing 737 plane crash before dawn no less just hours after the missile strike on US Forces.

I seriously contemplate that this was an evil deed of Iran disguised as an accident in order to hurt Boeing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/w...g-ukraine.html

Experts say that is an extremely rare sequence of events, even in a catastrophic accident — and all the more unexpected in a relatively new plane, built in 2016, of a model with a very good safety record

Quote:
The plane had reached an altitude of almost 8,000 feet and a speed of more than 300 miles per hour

Quote:
“Planes just don’t blow up in midair,” said Richard Aboulafia, vice president for analysis at Teal Group, an aviation consulting firm. “It doesn’t work like that.”
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iran, iran nuclear threat, royal navy, usa