SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-01-21, 09:57 AM   #1
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246
Uploads: 0
Default Contents of Mega mods

So, I've recently been thinking about this.

Has anyone ever done a comprehensive look at the specific changes each megamod consists of and how many of them consist of collections of a bunch of smaller mods?

Sure, there are the read me files and user guides, but has anyone ever looked at the progressive changes to files that result in a megamod?

This came about because of the recent discussion in the U-boats compilation and the fact that mod order is important for that, whereas miss order may be unimportant for other mods even though they impact each other.

What I'm getting at is that when you activate mods in JSGME, some of them grey out others, letting you know they affect them. The megamods represent, essentially, an end-state if multiple individual mods - knowing what pieces of each of them are impacted by other pieces would go a long way towards resolving conflicts when subsequently installing other individual mods on top of them.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-21, 12:01 PM   #2
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Experience comes with practice. ©
Old 03-01-21, 12:43 PM   #3
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
True - but there appear to be many new and returning players who seem to have the same types of questions. Many newer mods have adapted and extended other older mods.

So, for example, new players may not have the understanding that the changes to a file caused by a GUI mod and by an environment mod might be incompatible but when placed together in a megamod, the author manually adjusted the file to eliminate the incompatibility - so if they choose a different megamod that don't have that GUI and environment mod, and then add those two mods, they'll need to know to manually edit the end state file.

My own experience with this was, using a GWX3 install, I added MaGui Final, U-Boats Compilation(s), and then H.sie and Stiebler. And I then had to manually edit several files contents to make it all work.

Trial and error, but I have the patience. I could be wrong but I get the sense that many newbies lack that patience and perseverance and then complain that things don't work without putting forth some basic effort.

Last edited by 3catcircus; 03-01-21 at 12:54 PM.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 11:09 AM   #4
Hebe Vollmaus
Officer

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
So, I've recently been thinking about this.

Has anyone ever done a comprehensive look at the specific changes each megamod consists of and how many of them consist of collections of a bunch of smaller mods?
Each magamod? Each?
I think that cannot be made. There would be not enought Men-power to do this.
The involved volunteers has to have good knowledge in modding and can detect changes even without the use of S3d for this thing of Re-Engeneering.
These modders may will better mod than writing Documentations.

And you get not many Friends when peek and poke into someone others work and put your findings online.
What will happen we all have seen here recently on Subsim. And in the past it was seen before also.

Quote:
Sure, there are the read me files and user guides, but has anyone ever looked at the progressive changes to files that result in a megamod?
Yes. And i think you know this. GWX has a big Guide and Change-logs. CCoM has it, and LSHv5 has it.
Thats the best we can get.

Quote:
This came about because of the recent discussion in the U-boats compilation and the fact that mod order is important for that, whereas miss order may be unimportant for other mods even though they impact each other.

What I'm getting at is that when you activate mods in JSGME, some of them grey out others, letting you know they affect them. The megamods represent, essentially, an end-state if multiple individual mods - knowing what pieces of each of them are impacted by other pieces would go a long way towards resolving conflicts when subsequently installing other individual mods on top of them.
I cannot say enything about this compilation, since have not used it nor looked into it.

In general you are correct. BigMods, as used allone, nolonger need an install-order as they have resambled all together in a working way. But i think what all BigMods problem is they cannot provide a base for each and every Player. You will always find something you dislike. So let the modding begin...

and another Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061
Quote:
True - but there appear to be many new and returning players who seem to have the same types of questions. Many newer mods have adapted and extended other older mods.
I have the impression that there are some Bots and Trolls inbetween. I cannot accept that someone with an very old Account have nothing learned in all the recent Years.
Anyway, for the same types of questions there still exists FAQs. Frequently Asked Questions. It's not your fault when someone ignore this.

Quote:
So, for example, new players may not have the understanding that the changes to a file caused by a GUI mod and by an environment mod might be incompatible but when placed together in a megamod, the author manually adjusted the file to eliminate the incompatibility - so if they choose a different megamod that don't have that GUI and environment mod, and then add those two mods, they'll need to know to manually edit the end state file.

My own experience with this was, using a GWX3 install, I added MaGui Final, U-Boats Compilation(s), and then H.sie and Stiebler. And I then had to manually edit several files contents to make it all work.

Trial and error, but I have the patience. I could be wrong but I get the sense that many newbies lack that patience and perseverance and then complain that things don't work without putting forth some basic effort.
Thats the way every modder has to go. Due to the mass of existing Mods nobody could really think that each and every Mod is compatible with each other.
If someone saying something like "Mod not work" even the Mod will work for hundred others will only show its - hm - potential or niveau of existence.
Hebe Vollmaus is offline   Reply With Quote