SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-10, 12:30 PM   #1
kurfürst
Chief

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0
Drama with a Laptop! Need help!!

Hello Kaleuns,

I´ve bought a new Laptop and installed SH IV plus Uboat Missions and the latest OP Monsun add-ons and I can tell you it´s a drama!

I thought my new system (HP ProBook 4720s, 17", Intel Core i5 CPU M460 with 2.53gHZ, 2.98 gHz RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphic Card) all running on Windows XP would be more than enogh to play the game- but the opposite is the fact! The game either crashes, displays a transparent uboat hull, doesn´t dispaly the crew on the conning tower, has sound problems, or dispalys a fully green screen while switching to the free camera view.

Does anybody have a clue what to do? Can the game be patched in a way to get it playable? Do I have to change the graphics card?

I´m almost about to throw that f....ing Laptop out of the window!

Please help me!!!
Old 11-01-10, 04:41 PM   #2
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurfürst View Post
Does anybody have a clue what to do? Can the game be patched in a way to get it playable? Do I have to change the graphics card?

I´m almost about to throw that f....ing Laptop out of the window!
+1 ! Just give me a call if you need help!

But isn't the 5470 Mobile a ¤%&¤ piece of cheap ¤%¤%&? Here's a comparison test: http://optimitza.cat/news/2010/05/06...-gt-330m-310m/

If you bought a pc, you could just swap that piece of equipment, but I'm unsure if you can with your Mobile version???
IMHO the graphics card isn't a proper match for the i5 cpu. Unbalanced choice by HP, but typical for these consumer products...

Wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer though, if he can upgrade the gpu.
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 01:17 AM   #3
kurfürst
Chief

Hi Jan,

is there a specific graphic card you could recommend?

I´ll keel-haul my computer dealer later today and will force him to change the gpu!

Kurfürst
Old 11-02-10, 07:50 AM   #4
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Hi Jan,

is there a specific graphic card you could recommend?
Yeees... but it'll require quite a bit of hardware modding on your side http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...30&postcount=4

But more seriously, I would go for the 5800-series, where the 5850 probably is best value for money. And it's a very good match for the i5.

Wait!
I just found this HP site, where you can configure your 4720S and it is not possible to upgrade the GPU!
http://h71016.www7.hp.com/MiddleFram...ID=19701&SBLID=

Don't you have the same end-user rights as we in DK have? Tell your dealer it's a wrong buy and get a refund/replacement?
I had a look at HP's laptops and can't find anyone, where you can configure what GPU to use...

Must it be a laptop? Or - keep the HP and then build a gaming rig
Otherwise look at some of the laptops in the above testlink and check out the Asus or MSI...

Curious to see, where you end...

Btw. we may both be in trouble as this thread should have been in the hardware forum...
Old 11-02-10, 03:47 PM   #5
kurfürst
Chief

[QUOTE=Btw. we may both be in trouble as this thread should have been in the hardware forum... [/QUOTE]

Excuses when I posted this in the wrong thread, but anger and frustration made me blind!
I changed the settings of my gpu and the game settings itself. The game is running now, not as fluently as it was ment to be, but it´s playable.

I had to give up my PC as I will become a proud father soon and I had to give up my home office to turn it into a Baby´s room.
Hope there won´t be too many "Aaalaarm" shouts in the upcoming nights to keep me alert!

Beste Grüsse and cheers to my Danish friend,

Kurfürst
Old 11-02-10, 05:00 PM   #6
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Excuses when I posted this in the wrong thread, but anger and frustration made me blind!
Yeah... we're doomed!

Quote:
...I will become a proud father soon and I had to give up my home office to turn it into a Baby´s room.
Hope there won´t be too many "Aaalaarm" shouts in the upcoming nights to keep me alert!
A whole new meaning to "Rig for Silent Running"?

But big congrats! Hope all will go well!
And when Baby turns 18 you can always pass on the bills and Voila! New pc!

Best wishes to you and family,
Jan
Old 11-24-10, 01:01 PM   #7
Elektroniikka-Asentaja
Loader

Downloads: 3

Am I bumping ancient thread? Plz tell me that the dates are MM-DD-YY not DD-MM-YY.. If the 11th is the day and 3rd is month I'm sorry that I'm grave digging almost a year old thread but anyways to the topic:

I have a laptop too, 2.1 GHz AMD single core processor, NVidia GeForce 8200 graphics card and 3 Gb's ram

I was a bit worried after I had bought the game and at home I noticed that "laptop models of these cards may work but are not supported" And as my graphics card wasn't even in the list and it was a laptop version.. Well, it has worked surprisingly well, and I don't know, perhaps it's useless to post here because my graphics card isn't supported but I've had some serious FPS problem in the map. Otherwise it works very well, even when time compression is bigger but when I look at the map I need to struggle even to get my mouse to where I want

Am I right that when I switch into map mode the game keeps running all the stuff outside (like when I'm at the deck) and if I rise the time compression it tries to speed up everything that is in my view distance? This has been a bit of a problem in long distance missions, when I want to go somewhere far I may set time compression to several thousands (3000 something very usually) and at the time I get a message about enemy ship I'm 700 miles away from it because I can't get the time compression down to 1 because my frame rate is so small (which means I can do whatever I want and click where ever I want but nothing happens very soon).

Good luck with hunting everyone
Elektroniikka-Asentaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 01:36 PM   #8
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

You are severely underpowered...

But you may wanna give the anti-lag "fix" a try http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show....php?p=1458455

Good luck!

- wonder how the cutie of Kurfürst is running...
Old 11-26-10, 12:03 PM   #9
kurfürst
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
- wonder how the cutie of Kurfürst is running...
pretty well! I limited the functions of the Graphics Card Unit and changed some of the games display settings and it´s running stable without any problems now- except that you have to connect the laptop to the power plug to get a good FPS rate. Running the latop on batteries results in a stuttering display. But anyway, it´s a PC game after all and personally I get the best results on a PC.

Beste Grüsse, Kurfürst
Old 11-26-10, 02:20 PM   #10
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Oh, I was thinking of the baby, kurfürst!

Who the heck cares about computers, when a new one is on the way!

Me and my "funny" remarks...

Quote:
...Running the latop on batteries results in a stuttering display.
That actually makes perfect sense, since the laptop's powersave will adjust cpu speed all the time! Great tip!