SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-18-09, 05:34 AM   #1
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default Depth of ships vs torpedo setting OM

1st of all I'm opening a new thread cause I don't want to clutter the original thread of a great mod.

It has been stated that the draft of teh ships is incorrect. Does this mean the height of the masts is incorrect then also?
I've been using KuiB for a while now and my range estimates are incorrect so I'm not yet sure enuf to remove gods eye view. normally I'm about 100-200 meters off wich is way to much at ranges smaller than 2k.

As said b4 currently I'm playing with gods eye view and external cam on. Thus I'm pretty sure my torps are aimed correctly. I have a big problem with the number of duds. Yesterday I fired 2 electric torps at a nice big M-K-MK-KF-M (whatever) tanker. I was following the torps wich both went straight under and barely missed the hull, they where set for magnetic detonation. Only no boom . Funny part was I set them more shallow, I was expecting a BOOOM (or doing for dud).

How are the torps modelled. I seem to get less duds with gas powered torps. And I'm tempted to start using them till bout juli 41.

P.s. I think my savegames gone bad yesterday a nice 45k+ trip down the drain.

Last edited by looney; 12-18-09 at 05:45 AM.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 07:42 AM   #2
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
1st of all I'm opening a new thread cause I don't want to clutter the original thread of a great mod.

It has been stated that the draft of teh ships is incorrect. Does this mean the height of the masts is incorrect then also?
I've been using KuiB for a while now and my range estimates are incorrect so I'm not yet sure enuf to remove gods eye view. normally I'm about 100-200 meters off wich is way to much at ranges smaller than 2k.

As said b4 currently I'm playing with gods eye view and external cam on. Thus I'm pretty sure my torps are aimed correctly. I have a big problem with the number of duds. Yesterday I fired 2 electric torps at a nice big M-K-MK-KF-M (whatever) tanker. I was following the torps wich both went straight under and barely missed the hull, they where set for magnetic detonation. Only no boom . Funny part was I set them more shallow, I was expecting a BOOOM (or doing for dud).

How are the torps modelled. I seem to get less duds with gas powered torps. And I'm tempted to start using them till bout juli 41.

P.s. I think my savegames gone bad yesterday a nice 45k+ trip down the drain.

I need the following information:

Date
Flotilla
Mods (in install order)
other relevant facts

Quote:
It has been stated that the draft of teh ships is incorrect.
based on what evidence?
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 08:06 AM   #3
looney
Commodore

Ship draft:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1959

Date hmm early war (1939-1940 1st months)
Location currently in the mouth of gibraltar
type 9

Flotilla (2 I believe)

Mods only monsun.. I'll get a print JSGME in a bit am at work... got to love the crisis.... busy busy

Lost several savegames already never had the problem in SH3. no ships on the horizon.. dunno about sunk ones
Old 12-18-09, 09:20 AM   #4
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Quote:
Hold on there, that's no evidence. The original SH4 ships have correct values and only the new ships might have a smaller draft, in case Lurker forgot to adjust them when remaking the mast values. What I can attest to, after many ships sunk with magnetic eels is this:

-magnetic detonators are much more reliable than impact detonators (which did not happen in real life). In GWX 90% of them blew up after 1 km making them completely useless.
-depth keeping is next to perfect (which did not happen in real life)

In other words you should complain about too many good explosions not misses or duds. Plus, duds are affected by your crew abilities.

What I said was that some of the new ships have a lower draft than expected. If you use "Manual draft + 1m" you'll miss. I also later wrote "Set the depth to the exact value in the manual. Nothing fancy there." I sent 4 eels along the longitudinal axis of a Battleship. 3 exploded, 1 didn't. And it was the closest to the hull. It just went on and sunk something else Go figure....

About your height/range issue... Mind PM'ing me a screenshot of you periscope screen? I want to see the marks. I'd better get on making a video tutorial, there are a few things I'd like to show people.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 09:43 AM   #5
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Ship draft:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=1959

Date hmm early war (1939-1940 1st months)
Location currently in the mouth of gibraltar
type 9

Flotilla (2 I believe)

Mods only monsun.. I'll get a print JSGME in a bit am at work... got to love the crisis.... busy busy

Lost several savegames already never had the problem in SH3. no ships on the horizon.. dunno about sunk ones

First

I dont see any documented evidence that the drafts of all the ships in OM are wrong, just a comment without any details what so ever saying that ship x draft in the .cfg file is wrong based on exemption of .dat file.

Next you need to read this:

http://uboat.net/history/torpedo_crisis.htm

The torpedoes in OM have setup to operate with these problems from Sept 39 to Feb 42
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 10:12 AM   #6
looney
Commodore

I knew that high amount of duds where a problem for all navies (except the Japs I believe). I was under the impression by K's posts in the other thread that in SH4 and/or OM there where much less. And that the draft of the ships where to shallow.

If I'm wrong then I apologise I do not know who all worked on OM and I have not nearly enough experience to change it myself.

I started this thread that I THOUGHT cause of the to shallow draft of ships the malfunctions on torps where reduced. And that setting them on magnetics at the draft depth they almost all hit.

I think I must have misunderstood. My apologies I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings by stating wrong accusations.

I enjoy the MOD very much. Only my own mistakes/duds are annoying me.

P.s. About the save game issue I know it's a SH problem only I never b4 had the problem.
Old 12-18-09, 10:53 AM   #7
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

looney,

There is something going on with your install if you are getting corrupted game saves. I suspect a hosed install. My experience with three installs of SH4, running RFB, TMO, OM is that regardless of how or when I save, they are good to go.

I would just go for a reinstall if any of my SH4's installs started hosing saved games. I know its a pain, but I keep a clean copy stashed on the hard drive just for that purpose.

Happy Hunting!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 11:08 AM   #8
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
I knew that high amount of duds where a problem for all navies (except the Japs I believe). I was under the impression by K's posts in the other thread that in SH4 and/or OM there where much less. And that the draft of the ships where to shallow.

If I'm wrong then I apologise I do not know who all worked on OM and I have not nearly enough experience to change it myself.

I started this thread that I THOUGHT cause of the to shallow draft of ships the malfunctions on torps where reduced. And that setting them on magnetics at the draft depth they almost all hit.

I think I must have misunderstood. My apologies I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings by stating wrong accusations.

I enjoy the MOD very much. Only my own mistakes/duds are annoying me.

P.s. About the save game issue I know it's a SH problem only I never b4 had the problem.
Actually it's me that must apologize. I usually talk too much and with too little background info. Or maybe it's my english. "It is like this!" and "Is it like this?" are pretty similar
I believed the real german torpedo problem to be much greater. I now believe that GWX jumped the line with so many duds and premature explosions. Playing SH3 with GWX, SH4 with TMO and UBM with OM at the same time, does get a bit confusing. OM is the only one where I can actually trust my eels to behave correctly (duds or not) and I've started using magnetic impactors more and more.
As for depth, it really is fine. I set them to the manual specs. They go boom, ships sink, end of story.
Old 12-18-09, 11:15 AM   #9
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcke View Post
looney,

There is something going on with your install if you are getting corrupted game saves. I suspect a hosed install. My experience with three installs of SH4, running RFB, TMO, OM is that regardless of how or when I save, they are good to go.

I would just go for a reinstall if any of my SH4's installs started hosing saved games. I know its a pain, but I keep a clean copy stashed on the hard drive just for that purpose.

Happy Hunting!
That's true but sometimes the engine still bugs and crashes even in vanilla. I recently wanted to show a friend of mine a saved attack in vanilla. The save crashed. But the following saves (still vanilla) were fine. In OM I've only had one error so far, even after tampering with a saved file.
Old 12-18-09, 01:03 PM   #10
looney
Commodore

I'm running the game on vista can that have an influence?
Old 12-18-09, 01:08 PM   #11
Te Kaha
Navy Dude

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 2

Vista makes no difference here, looney.
Te Kaha is offline   Reply With Quote