SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-15, 05:49 AM   #1
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

SHO [AAR] So Far, So Good - A Soviet Sub in the Arctic

PREFACE

Hi folks,

I wanted to start an AAR series, with something a little different from the usual!

Some of you may have heard of the Baltic mod for SH4, which eventually developed into a full Soviet campaign mod called "Советский Фарватер" ["Sovetskiy Farvater" - usually translated as "Soviet Fairway" or "Soviet Waterway", but more accurately "Soviet Waters"].

You can find more information about it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=159888

Unfortunately, the mod does not have an English version at the moment. However, since Russian is my native language, I thought I'd at least share some of my experience with the non-Russian speakers on this forum so you can see what the experience of commanding a Russian WWII is like.
By the way, the mod itself is excellent!

A few years ago, I also posted pictures of my visit to the Soviet submarine D-2 "Narodnovolets", the world's oldest war veteran sub still intact as a museum (built in 1927-29, it served successfully in WWII, sank ships, and survived all of its patrols).

You can find my pictures from that visit here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=124914

Now, the real D-2 was originally part of the Soviet Northern Fleet, based on Russia's northern coast, but in early 1941 it was undergoing a major refit back in Leningrad on the Baltic. It was scheduled to rejoin the Northern Fleet in May 1941, but maintenance schedules slipped and it was caught up in Leningrad when the war started, and remained there, serving in the Baltic during the war instead.

For this AAR, however, I decided to play out a what-if story - assuming that the D-2 did in fact leave the Baltic on schedule, and was part of the Northern Fleet during World War II.

The AAR will be written as an in-character interview, conducted after the war with the D-2's (fictional) commander, Nikolai Korobkov. There's obviously a bit of fiction and historical fact there besides the gameplay, which I thought would be fun to add.

So, without further ado, the story follows in the rest of the thread. Enjoy!

So Far, So Good
A Soviet Sub in the Arctic

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aar, arctic, d-2, soviet