Closed Thread

Old 04-07-10, 08:35 AM   #196
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

what matters you? SH5?

Why are you looking so sad? coz you have SH5 or you don't have SH5?

what you think you doing? writing in this thread!

whatever you do... then enjoy this SH5 link that goes in line with this thread (yet another)

And now shut up! Don't be bad boys!

All the credits can go to his mama!

have fun

Old 04-07-10, 08:44 AM   #197
mcarlsonus
Weps

Downloads: 13

THIS TIME, Mookiemookie tells me: "Or, you could just not post it because it's something that's been posted a thousand times over. You are seriously degrading the signal-to-noise ratio. You hate DRM. You hate the fact that Ubi intentionally or not relies on modders for a finished game. We get it. Move on."

Well, "Mookie" - there you go again! We keep revisiting the reading comprehension issue!

I've never been overly concerned about the DRM issue and have posted very little about it, as a matter of fact. Never. Ever. I've only responded on one DRM-specific thread regarding my concern about privacy issues when it's mandated that I'm connected with Ubi's servers whenever I use their product. I've never stated it made me think twice about buying SH5, nor do I honestly find it much of a hassle. But I'm lucky - I have reliable, fast internet service, unlike others.

My primary complaint is that SH5 was rushed to market more incomplete than previous versions. I've stated my feeling that I suspect that's due to Ubi assuming Subsim Modders can make everything okay - at no charge to them. BUT, they charge US to buy the game. I don't think that's fair - and I've utilized some really easy to understand metaphors to illustrate my point!

My complaint in a nutshell: I'm against using unpaid labor to enhance ones profit margin. I don't like having to pay for what amounts to a beta version of a product. In the overall scheme of things, I place DRM/OSP at 8 on my 1 to 10 scale where 1 is, "Heavily Concerned" and 10 is, "Not A Concern At All."

DRM issues never even came up. Perhaps you're attacking the wrong person?

Last edited by mcarlsonus; 04-07-10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-07-10, 08:50 AM   #198
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarlsonus View Post
DRM issues never even came up. Perhaps you're attacking the wrong person?
Apologies on that, got you mixed up with someone else.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 04-07-10, 08:54 AM   #199
drtechno
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

That plus if we don't post it here, people researching the game will be led to the (false) premise that they are buying a 5/10 product.. when in reality, they are paying for detritus... a piece of software that UBI should be paying them to use (I state use since 'play' would be a false promise of some degree of enjoyment).

I was just reminded of how sh|tty the manual truly is when I stumbled upon my original M1 Tank Platoon manual from the good ole days. Now THOSE game had manuals. Sigh.. and then all the other issues, stupid design (crew interactions, see other posts), bugs, DRM, etc.

Should we change the title to "Silent Hunter 5, Deep in Detritus"? Then we will be silenced.
Lian Li full tower
Old 04-07-10, 09:02 AM   #200
mcarlsonus
Weps

Hallelujah! Someone actually GETS it! Thanks, "drtechno," but I will state, for the record, that the SH5 Manual was only the symptom of a larger, festering, pus-oozing problem: the lack of effort put into what became the final release of the product.
Old 04-07-10, 09:06 AM   #201
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
That plus if we don't post it here, people researching the game will be led to the (false) premise that they are buying a 5/10 product.. when in reality, they are paying for detritus... a piece of software that UBI should be paying them to use (I state use since 'play' would be a false promise of some degree of enjoyment).

I was just reminded of how sh|tty the manual truly is when I stumbled upon my original M1 Tank Platoon manual from the good ole days. Now THOSE game had manuals. Sigh.. and then all the other issues, stupid design (crew interactions, see other posts), bugs, DRM, etc.

Should we change the title to "Silent Hunter 5, Deep in Detritus"? Then we will be silenced.
I'm sure the poor fellow who wanders in here not knowing anything about SH5 will understand from the threads posted by people whop play the game and are not spamming the forums with complaints that there are problems with the game.

Quote:
Hallelujah! Someone actually GETS it! Thanks, "drtechno," but I will state, for the record, that the SH5 Manual was only the symptom of a larger, festering, pus-oozing problem: the lack of effort put into what became the final release of the product.
Yes, we know. We know. That's why the review is posted in plain sight, and there are many threads where people playing the game point out issues. But let's not allow that to turn our forums into a free for all.
Old 04-07-10, 09:07 AM   #202
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtechno View Post
That plus if we don't post it here, people researching the game will be led to the (false) premise that they are buying a 5/10 product.
I see your point but that's half the point i'm trying to make...
How often does the "rating" of -100/10 need to be "posted".
That is the real issue here, not that the owners of the game are posting their (you-know-what) experiences, but how often...

Plus, i really do think, that like me, other folks here, and indeed elsewhere are aware what status the game has at this current stage....

Let's be more constructive about this game!

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Old 04-07-10, 09:09 AM   #203
BlackSpot
Lieutenant

Downloads: 21

Quote:
RECORDED
Well, now that it's "on record" you won't have to remind us in future posts.

Do nothing which is of no use.
Old 04-07-10, 09:14 AM   #204
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

it gets panned. almost universal. some like it and thats ok too. go to Amazon: it gets panned

and its a huge shame. the graphics look gorgeous - i have a screen shot on my desk top, it is lovely to look at

but it gets panned

and why should'nt people complain? if it is that bad.

i like to read. so i can imagine if i bought a book i was looking forward to and found the pages stuck together, the print smudged etc etc. i would not read it or get it repaired i would take it back and complain.

same with SH5, why should people put up with it. they spend hard earned money and get a faulty product...

i can not remember - exactly - what Peter Finch called out in the film Network - put we should be shouting it at UBI if it is that bad.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 04-07-10, 09:16 AM   #205
mcarlsonus
Weps

Default So, "m," what do you LIKE about SH5?

Well, "self," I like the MP Missions provided us by Blackswan/Upholder and my old arch enemy, "ddrgn." Those are CHALLENGING - and totally enjoyable with other fans. I also really like some of the Historical Missions. But, those aspects confuse me as they appear to be so much more evolved than the rank, boring, dumbed-down Campaign portion that makes up 99% of the actual game.
Old 04-07-10, 09:19 AM   #206
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatico View Post
It is pathetic game from the day one:

Simulation community should swallow arcade RPG, DRM, 40% finished product, boring campaign, support the brand with they money...etc.

...and Ubi ?

What steps UBi displayed so far or announced as next ?

For mutual "love and support" - it takes two sides...

Ubi made a commercial product for mass-gaming instead of simulation... OK. Fair enaugh - so enjoy your sales results...

You don't have to serve sim community... but please show some respect to people who kept SH brand for ten years.
Do you even own it?

Because if you do, and you have played it for more than an hour, than I really can't understand your comments.

JCC
Old 04-07-10, 09:19 AM   #207
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo180265 View Post
You've chosen not to buy the game (or like Steve - you may not have a choice) other than repeating that over and over - what else can you contribute to a forum dedicated to a game that you don't own or wont/can't play?
Can we not just move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post

Going back to my first point - you can say "don't like it? don't read it." but then it's easy to counter that with "No, I don't like it, not because of the content of your message, but the fact that you're adding nothing to the forum. And messages that add nothing are pointless and spam. Quit that."

Actually my whole post is neither pointless or spam in my opinion, I was speaking out against the trolling that is going on.

FYI the whole post:

Quote:
If they just did it at the UBI forums it wouldn't be a problem.

Seriously - nearly every thread gets hit with the "DRM sucks - SHV sucks" post at some point or other here.

I agree with Neal and with Nordman, we know you don't like the DRM - you've told us over and over and over again. It's staying for the forseeable future and there is nothing we can do about it. No amount of ranting (especially to us subsimmers who have the game and are playing it) is going to change that fact.

You've chosen not to buy the game (or like Steve - you may not have a choice) other than repeating that over and over - what else can you contribute to a forum dedicated to a game that you don't own or wont/can't play?

Can we not just move on?
There are plenty of people here who don't own the game but make a sizable contribution to the forum nonethless, my point was that there are also people here who just enjoy bashing the game and occasionally the members who play the game. Have a look around the threads - there's still plenty of bashing going on.

Perhaps I could have worded it better but my point was that constantly repeating the same tired old stuff is getting boring to me - and from reading this thread I'm guessing that I'm not the only one.

I find myself logging in but not taking part anymore for fear of being bashed if I dare to say that I like the game.

Last edited by robbo180265; 04-07-10 at 09:23 AM. Reason: something went wrong with the quotes lol
Old 04-07-10, 09:23 AM   #208
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Who is to say what upstart company is waiting out there to make the next generation of sub simulations? Perhaps the future CEO is starting high school next year...or maybe he is learning his ABC's. Maybe he is a retired sailor who is attending his fathers funeral next week...a father who served on a fleetboat or planted a seed of honor on his son that may someday grow into the simulation that we all wish for.
While waiting for these I would also recommend keeping a sharp eye out for flying pigs .

JCC
Old 04-07-10, 09:34 AM   #209
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Well, "self," I like the MP Missions provided us by Blackswan/Upholder and my old arch enemy, "ddrgn." Those are CHALLENGING - and totally enjoyable with other fans. I also really like some of the Historical Missions. But, those aspects confuse me as they appear to be so much more evolved than the rank, boring, dumbed-down Campaign portion that makes up 99% of the actual game.

As you say and I noticed as well, the single missions work quite well. The Pedestal mission is quite tough.

I am sure the campaign can be improved, most of the bugs appear to be there.
Old 04-07-10, 09:52 AM   #210
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Actually my whole post is neither pointless or spam in my opinion, I was speaking out against the trolling that is going on.
No, no, I was agreeing with you and expanding on the point you made.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Closed Thread

Tags
best subsim, bug, complaints, drama, drm, far too silly, sh5