SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-16, 07:31 AM   #1
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support bug with depth in GWX

Hello,
Can anyone tell me how to correct a bug in GWX ? When i'm around 130 meters depth and my sub is not moving, the depth increases even if i order to stay at current depth. There is not this bug in the normal stock game.

Help please.
Old 09-25-16, 08:16 AM   #2
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

No bug, a feature. Subs do sink when not moving and GWX simulates that effect.
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 02:12 PM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

As far as I'm aware only NYGM replicates the above.

Is you boat damaged in any way?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-16, 03:09 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Achieving a perfect trim is nearly impossible, as there is no such thing as a boat that doesn't leak. Back then the only way to maintain depth while stationary was to use the pumps, which were just as noisy as the motors while running. Modern boats use a computer to control the stability, but it still has to use the pumps to do so. The only way to be totally silent in WW2 was to sit on the bottom.
Old 09-26-16, 03:45 PM   #5
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

What mods? Using SH Commander? What Sub?
Lots of unknowns here.

GWX tends to put you 2 meters high if less then 2 knots.
Old 09-27-16, 10:32 AM   #6
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Achieving a perfect trim is nearly impossible, as there is no such thing as a boat that doesn't leak. Back then the only way to maintain depth while stationary was to use the pumps, which were just as noisy as the motors while running. Modern boats use a computer to control the stability, but it still has to use the pumps to do so. The only way to be totally silent in WW2 was to sit on the bottom.
Ejecting a little water with pressured air, was it so noisy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
In the contrary! The message of the LI is "Boot ist durchgependelt".

My former tennis-trainer was the KL of a German U-Boot and he said: "If that would ever happen(i.e. Boot sinks after being "durchgependelt", I would shoot my LI - it is his damn job to keep the boat trimmed."
What does "durchgependelt" mean ??
Old 09-28-16, 05:00 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post

What does "durchgependelt" mean ??
Levelled off, sir.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-16, 12:04 PM   #8
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Levelled off, sir.
Thank you Jimbuna.
Now, can anyone tell me which files are controlling this feature ?
Old 09-29-16, 01:05 PM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Ejecting a little water with pressured air, was it so noisy ?
How much water? "A little" is not a precise number, and there's no way to tell exactly how much needs to be pushed out. Or let in. If you over-correct the boat is now rising, and you have to let water in. How much water? It quickly can become a game of pumping water out, letting water in, pumping water out... Yes, it's noisy.

Also the boat might be sinking not because of too much water but because the water aboard is not stabilized, i.e. it is sinking by the bow or the stern. This requires transferring water from the bow to the stern, or vice versa. The point is that nothing is precise, and the absolute best way to maintain proper trim is to be moving and use the dive planes.
Old 09-30-16, 10:02 AM   #10
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Downloads: 90

Quote:
the absolute best way to maintain proper trim is to be moving and use the dive planes.
How does speed affect trim control in real life? For example, can a boat's trim be controlled just as well (in terms of accuracy and consistency) at 1kt as it can at 5kts?
Old 09-30-16, 10:30 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingGrandad View Post
How does speed affect trim control in real life? For example, can a boat's trim be controlled just as well (in terms of accuracy and consistency) at 1kt as it can at 5kts?
I'm not overly familiar with submarine operations, but I have plenty of evidence that surface ships have exactly that problem with their rudder. Ships turn tighter at full speed than they do at slower speeds. This would seem to be the opposite of cars and airplanes, and boats, all of which have wider turn radii at higher speeds. The seeming discrepancy comes about for the simple reason that ships cannot go fast enough to have that effect.

I'm pretty sure that subs of the WW2 variety need to be going at least 2 or 3 knots to get enough bite in the planes to maintain depth properly, which is problematic because it's not much faster than that when noise becomes a problem, as well as vibration causing problems for the periscope.
Old 09-30-16, 03:57 PM   #12
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Quote:
I'm not overly familiar with submarine operations, but I have plenty of evidence that surface ships have exactly that problem with their rudder. Ships turn tighter at full speed than they do at slower speeds. This would seem to be the opposite of cars and airplanes, and boats, all of which have wider turn radii at higher speeds. The seeming discrepancy comes about for the simple reason that ships cannot go fast enough to have that effect.
Never thought about this before - but now that I do, I'm wondering if SH3 (and no doubt naval sims) model this effect...? I have a feeling SH3 does, and will check it the next time I play.

Just found some info about ship turning circles here (not read it yet)
http://shipsbusiness.com/turning-circle.html

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that subs of the WW2 variety need to be going at least 2 or 3 knots to get enough bite in the planes to maintain depth properly, which is problematic because it's not much faster than that when noise becomes a problem, as well as vibration causing problems for the periscope.
Makes sense.

I think I recently read a post here on Subsim about a mod which reduces periscope visibility and usage at higher submerged speeds.
Old 09-30-16, 11:23 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Just found some info about ship turning circles here (not read it yet)
Yep. I have several actual turning numbers for a variety of ships, both Tactical Diameter at different speeds and time-to-turn in degrees. They can be eye-opening.

Quote:
I think I recently read a post here on Subsim about a mod which reduces periscope visibility and usage at higher submerged speeds.
That would be h.sie's Realism and Gameplay-Related Hardcode Fixes patch. It does a lot of great things towards improving realism in the game, including fix the Lazy Watch Officer syndrome (with the patch he goes to the bridge every time you surface). It's considered one of the must-haves these days.
Old 10-02-16, 05:02 PM   #14
VikingGrandad
Torpedoman

Seems the speed vs turning circle factor is modelled in SH3 - I haven't specifically tried to observe it in the game yet but just spotted this in the Ubi SH3 manual:
Quote:
HINT: Turning your boat demands a minimum speed; otherwise the rudders are not effective. The faster the boat goes, the faster it turns.
Quote:
That would be h.sie's Realism and Gameplay-Related Hardcode Fixes patch. It does a lot of great things towards improving realism in the game, including fix the Lazy Watch Officer syndrome (with the patch he goes to the bridge every time you surface). It's considered one of the must-haves these days.
Ah, yes! That's it. I've very recently started using the h.sie patch after installing LSH3 2015. I need to read the separate LSH3 manual for the h.sie patch that describes what the settings do. For now, I'm using the default settings that came with the LSH3 installation. I'm certainly appreciating the WO fix! I think I'll try the periscope fix setting as well.

I seem to recall another unfixed bug in SH3 that caused the game to CTD when clicking on any of the three automatic manoeuvre icons on the bottom-right of the crew management screen... Presumably that's still a problem?
Old 10-02-16, 05:12 PM   #15
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
I seem to recall another unfixed bug in SH3 that caused the game to CTD when clicking on any of the three automatic manoeuvre icons on the bottom-right of the crew management screen... Presumably that's still a problem?
I only recall that bug when using the Reloaded hack.
I don't recall ever having it with the newer releases where StarForce was removed.