Closed Thread

Old 02-06-17, 07:40 PM   #1441
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda Shingen View Post
The article that is linked by your link (why don't you just link the article directly?) also doesn't say anything to validate your claim about "dead oceans". Quite the opposite, in fact. From the article:

So, enough already.
yeah I know,, but you said earlier it was a natural accurence.. I wonder how much money the National Geographic get's from the government,, which is probably just chuck full of leftist,, if you paid me enough I'd tell you the sun is purple,, see leftist grave power and what better way to get power is to scare people in believing they are at fault for the planet falling part told by paid off scientist..

And now about your racism as I see it the left are nothing more than a bunch of control freaks,,they want to control every aspect of our lives because they think we aren't smart enough to run our own lives without their jackboot on our necks no matter what color creed or religion,,that sounds pretty racist to me ,,, and you can't understand why Trump won,, I know why you are freaking,, you lost your power ..
Old 02-06-17, 08:08 PM   #1442
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
yeah I know,, but you said earlier it was a natural accurence.. I wonder how much money the National Geographic get's from the government,, which is probably just chuck full of leftist,, if you paid me enough I'd tell you the sun is purple,, see leftist grave power and what better way to get power is to scare people in believing they are at fault for the planet falling part told by paid off scientist..
Again, I didn't pull the National Geographic article to counter the one you originally linked to. In fact, I didn't pull it up at all. It was that very article that cited the National Geographic piece as its source. Reading said article, one finds that no claim made by the one that you posted can be found anywhere in the sourced article.

Quote:
And now about your racism as I see it the left are nothing more than a bunch of control freaks,,they want to control every aspect of our lives because they think we aren't smart enough to run our own lives without their jackboot on our necks no matter what color creed or religion,,that sounds pretty racist to me ,,, and you can't understand why Trump won,, I know why you are freaking,, you lost your power ..
I'm "freaking" because white supremacists are threatening my family and law enforcement is doing little about it. So we're gone. If you care about your politics so much that you're going to threaten my children, then you can have your America. Come July we'll have new hope in a new land.
Old 02-06-17, 08:26 PM   #1443
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
No, it's something I experienced first hand when white supremacists concerned citizens painted anti-Semitic graffiti on my garage and followed my children to school to take photos of them which they then mailed to us. It is why we're leaving the country.
You just live in the wrong part of the country.

May I ask, where are you fleeing to?
Old 02-06-17, 08:38 PM   #1444
AndyJWest
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

So being threatened by white supremacists is TS's fault for living in the 'wrong part of the country'? That is a truly appalling suggestion...

Old 02-06-17, 08:43 PM   #1445
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Big country and all sorts of people.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 02-06-17, 08:43 PM   #1446
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:

Yeah Pennsylvania's a one of America's hotbeds of racism, Neal. Selma, Montgomery and Allentown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
So being threatened by white supremacists is TS's fault for living in the 'wrong part of the country'? That is a truly appalling suggestion...
To be fair, I didn't expect there to be a whole lot of understanding here.
Old 02-06-17, 09:01 PM   #1447
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
No, not his fault. I'm just saying, some parts of the country are not as troublesome as others. Anyway, who knew Pennsylvania was a hotbed of white power.

Man, you guys are determined to read things a certain way.
Old 02-06-17, 09:08 PM   #1448
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
No, not his fault. I'm just saying, some parts of the country are not as troublesome as others. Anyway, who knew Pennsylvania was a hotbed of white power.
It's not. But its here now, and we're not staying around to wait for it to take our children. We had a very long talk and decided in the end to get away from North America and Europe entirely. So we're going to Perth. It isn't going to be perfect. It isn't going to be free of white supremacy. But it is in an English-speaking nation with a comparable system of government, comparable standard of living, year-round summer and happens to be on the literal other side of the world from Trumpistan.

We were fast tracked through the immigration process due to our education, background and positions, especially hers. She's a cardiac surgeon. Had hospitals fighting over her. Pushed us right to the front of the line. She heads over with the puppy at the end of April. I follow with the girls at the beginning of July. So if you all could wait to start purging the undesirables until after the Independence Day holiday I'd be grateful.
Old 02-06-17, 09:11 PM   #1449
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

And a comparable percentage of white people? No, a whole lot whiter. Well, ok, I guess.

Ok, I'll pull some strings and keep the fascists at bay for you.
Old 02-06-17, 09:13 PM   #1450
yubba
Admiral

Quote:
Yeah Pennsylvania's a one of America's hotbeds of racism, Neal. Selma, Montgomery and Allentown.

To be fair, I didn't expect there to be a whole lot of understanding here.

Not to laugh but PA. is ran by democrats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...f_Pennsylvania
Old 02-06-17, 09:19 PM   #1451
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
And a comparable percentage of white people? No, a whole lot whiter. Well, ok, I guess.

Ok, I'll pull some strings and keep the fascists at bay for you.
I will shed tears of relief and joy once I get my kids on that plane leaving LAX. America failed us.
Old 02-06-17, 09:26 PM   #1452
yubba
Admiral

and the Mayor of Allentown is also Democrat you need to find a nice red state,, God you just can't make this up,,but, I'm sorry that you have been victimized no one deserves that. Don't hear of that here in Florida,, that's why I hate liberal Democrats nothin but racist.
Ed Pawlowski
(2006–Present, Democrat)
Current mayor, elected for third term in 2013 (2014–2018). Born in Chicago, Illinois, 4 June 1965. Moved to Allentown area, 1996, city, 2000. Previously served as Executive Director of Lehigh Housing Development Corporation; later became Director of Community and Economic Development for Allentown under Mayor Afflerbach. Elected mayor after Afflerbach declined re-election. Elected in 2005 (58.6%), re-elected in 2009 (73.6%) and 2013 (62%). Major initiative has been the Central Business District Redevelopment project as a result of Neighborhood Improvement Zone (NIZ) legislation passed by the Pennsylvania legislature. Re-elected 2013 for a third consecutive term as Mayor.[2

Last edited by yubba; 02-06-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 09:28 PM   #1453
yubba
Admiral

Quote:
I will shed tears of relief and joy once I get my kids on that plane leaving LAX. America failed us.
So where are you going America didn't fail you the last 8 years did. well I caught up on some reading Perth you say ,,
Old 02-06-17, 09:31 PM   #1454
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Climate change is an issue, I don't think anyone will contest that.

The only real question is at what rate and what should be done about it?
Exponentially, three major science outlets, the NOAA, the Goddard Institute and the University of Berkeley all agree that 2016 was the hottest year on record.
As for what should be done about it? Well, that is up for debate but quite frankly aside from economics there are precious few downsides for working to reduce carbon emissions and pollution, to avoid more Flint style situations. However in this modern world economics is more powerful than anything else, even human life and so I don't expect too much to change.
I think that we've passed the point where we can stop this thing, the primary thing we can do now is perhaps hope to make this artificial temperature swing not last so long as other hot and cold ages.
The big thing now is to prepare our cities and nations for the worst. A crash course in desalinisation plants in California for one thing, a coastal sea defence project all along the eastern seaboard of the US which takes it account the potential for sea level rises, never mind building a wall against Mexico, build one against the sea.
It's better to make these things and never need them, than to need them and not have them, and have hundreds die as a result.
There's a lot of uncertainty about what is going to happen, models can be made, data analysed but the data indicates that the climate is changing, and we really need to crush the persistant myth that it is all faked, or is a plot by the Chinese to end American industry or some other nonsense. Such things are holding back those who need to get in with both hands and help ready the world for the new climatic era.
A major percentage of the worlds cities and population centers are either by a river or next to the sea. Right now that's fine, but in a hundred to two hundred years those cities are going to turn into a bad imitation of Venice.
Imagine the displacement that this is going to cause, the entire populace of all the cities of the east and west coasts having to move inland. Where will they go?
Of course, this is not something that's going to happen overnight, but flooding events like those during Hurricane Sandy are going to start to get more regular as the sea level creeps upwards.

None of this is going to happen in our lifetimes, or even that of our children (hopefully) but rather than kicking the can down the road we should really start making progress on preparing for it now.

How do we prepare? Well...that's a harder question. There are obviously best and worst case scenarios for this whole thing, and really you need to prepare for the worst case ones, but the scale of the worst case scenario is such that I think most people would just give up rather than tackle it.
It's like the Yellowstone caldera, it could go up anytime over the next century or not for another millennia, but eventually it will go up...but there's nothing anyone can do to prepare for it because the effects will be so devastating that you simply cannot prepare for it.
One way is to try and wall the sea out, a bit like the Netherlands, that will probably be too expensive to do the entire coastline so you'd be looking to wall up major cities and then build bridges to the new mainland, of course that would limit urban sprawl but you can counter that by building upward and indeed, building onto the water.
Another way might be to start building new cities, far enough inland that even the worst case scenario of sea level rise won't affect them, one advantage is that you'll get the knowledge of several centuries of city building in order to make it very efficient and clean. The down-side is that very few of these futuristic city projects ever seen to get off the drawing board, or if they do they end up more like Milton Keynes than New Jerusalem (ie, pretty terrible).
Honestly...I don't have the answer, and not a lot of people do, hence the impasse, however I think that we are going to see a shift in thinking over the next decade from "We need to prevent climate change" to "We need to adapt to climate change", in fact you can see that shift already in play amongst many scientists. This thing has picked up enough inertia that even if we turned off every fossil fuel producing object tomorrow it would still be a while before it did anything beneficial to the environment.
That being said, that doesn't mean that we should give up on efforts to reduce our impact, I mean conflict, pandemics and other major disasters aside, humanity is still going to be around in a hundred to two hundred years so someone is going to have to deal with this problem, even if it isn't us.
And at the end of the day, I think that's probably where the biggest problem with dealing with climate change lies, it's convincing people to do something that won't directly benefit them, and that is not easy.
Old 02-06-17, 09:32 PM   #1455
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
and the Mayor of Allentown is also Democrat you need to find a nice red state,, God you just can't make this up thanks TA,,but, I'm sorry that you have been victimized no one deserves that. Don't hear of that here in Florida
Ed Pawlowski
(2006–Present, Democrat)
Current mayor, elected for third term in 2013 (2014–2018). Born in Chicago, Illinois, 4 June 1965. Moved to Allentown area, 1996, city, 2000. Previously served as Executive Director of Lehigh Housing Development Corporation; later became Director of Community and Economic Development for Allentown under Mayor Afflerbach. Elected mayor after Afflerbach declined re-election. Elected in 2005 (58.6%), re-elected in 2009 (73.6%) and 2013 (62%). Major initiative has been the Central Business District Redevelopment project as a result of Neighborhood Improvement Zone (NIZ) legislation passed by the Pennsylvania legislature. Re-elected 2013 for a third consecutive term as Mayor.[2
It doesn't have anything to do with the Mayor or the Governor or even Trump himself. It has everything to do with Trump's followers who are so ardent in their hatred that they feel the need to threaten. When it was just my wife we were alarmed, but were going to stand fast. Once it went to the children, well, nothing is worth their lives. I would never move to a "red" state.

Rejoice yubba. You got rid of 2 anti-Trump votes. Granted one is a cardiac surgeon and the other is a university chair so there's the "brain drain" factor as well. But you said repeatedly that you all don't need scientists and academics and doctors and whatnot. Damn eggheads ruining America and all that.
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter