Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-22, 09:06 AM   #14161
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Labour have obviously kept a record of my details.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-01-22, 10:32 AM   #14162
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Labour have obviously kept a record of my details.[...]
Why, did you join all 12?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-01-22, 10:46 AM   #14163
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Why, did you join all 12?
LOL

I was a Labour Party member for many years, only resigning my membership the day after Steptoe became the party leader

Old 02-01-22, 04:06 PM   #14164
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The Neue Zürcher Zeitung comments on two years of Brexit:

Quote:
The Brexit is a success, assures the British government. But the contrast between reality and appearance is unmistakable. The first step toward improvement would be more honesty.

The new Brexit reality is somewhat contradictory. Boris Johnson's government published a position paper over a hundred pages thick on Monday entitled "The benefits of Brexit - how the UK is taking advantage of leaving the EU."

The chairman of the Transport Committee in the House of Commons will read it with interest. He went to see for himself a few days ago in the Kent region, whereupon the regional news portal "Kent Online" reported: "MP steps in human feces on Brexit visit."

It's been two years since the United Kingdom left the EU in early February 2020 - hence the government's desire to use the thick report to create good cheer. Cheering up could also be needed by the truck drivers who have been stuck in traffic jams for hours in Kent for the past two weeks on the approach to the Dover ferry port. Their wait is closely linked to Brexit. That there are hardly any sanitary facilities on the roads to Dover was something the aforementioned member of parliament was allowed to discover for himself.

In the traffic jam, the truck drivers would have enough time to read the Brexit paper, but that would not be conducive to their mood. It is true that the section "successes to date" takes up only 15 of the 108 pages, and even that seems stretched. However, the entries are often euphemistic: administrative hurdles in foreign trade have been lowered, customs processes have been digitized, and London has concluded trade agreements not only with the EU, but with 70 countries.

In fact, many of these "successes" are pure damage limitation measures that became necessary when the country left the EU's single market at the beginning of 2021. Since then, there have been customs controls on the trade of goods across the English Channel. They are being introduced gradually, and the reins were tightened at the turn of last year. Now, British authorities require export and import declarations for goods before they are shipped, not after the fact.

The increased effort in clearance, combined with problems in starting the new customs system, is causing the long lines in front of the checkpoints not only in Dover, but also in Calais. Add to that reduced ferry capacity as ships are serviced - confirming a common pattern: Wherever there are problems, Brexit makes things more difficult.

That explains the desire for easy success stories. The British government is lauding its Brexit tropes: the reintroduction of blue passports, of pint measurements on packaging, and of "Crown Stamp" calibration marking on glasses. Apart from being of less practical relevance: EU membership did not categorically stand in the way of these Brexit "benefits." Neither did the establishment of free ports, the accelerated switch to electric vehicles and the reorganization of the railroad system, which London also cites as Brexit achievements.

The bulk of the Brexit record relates to statements of intent for future policy. Often it is about regulations that London now wants to improve - although details and plans are open. Time will tell whether the promises will be kept. A fundamental tension will remain: If the UK distances itself too much from the regulatory regime of the EU, its largest trading partner, market access for British companies will suffer.

Of course, it is to be hoped that even Boris Johnson's often populist government will find sensible new ways forward. The pressure to make a success of Brexit should be a stimulating incentive. But that requires honesty and diligence rather than window dressing and half-truths. Instead, Johnson says scrapping laws that still date back to EU membership would save firms £1 billion in red tape costs. How he comes up with the figure remains his secret. A trucker in a traffic jam outside Dover wouldn't think of it.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
https://www.nzz.ch/meinung/brexit-be...anz-ld.1667538
Mind you, the NZZ is no German but Swiss newspaper.
Old 02-02-22, 08:31 AM   #14165
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson is facing further calls to resign, as Tobias Ellwood became the latest Tory MP to say he wants to oust him from office.

The Bournemouth East MP said he would be submitting a letter of no confidence in the PM, amid the ongoing row over lockdown parties in No 10.

He joins colleague Peter Aldous, who said on Tuesday he had done the same.

At least 54 Tories must submit letters to set up a vote on the PM's future.

A handful of Tory MPs, including Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross, have said they have submitted letters to the backbench 1922 Committee, which runs leadership contests.

But the exact number of letters submitted is not known.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60227531

Old 02-02-22, 08:35 AM   #14166
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Saw a live transmission from your Parliament on Danish tv. I notice something I've seen several times but forgot to ask who and why

In the opposite end of the Speaker of the house a group of people was standing.

Who are they ?(Spectators ?)
Why are they there ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 02-02-22, 09:12 AM   #14167
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

MP's as they are the only people allowed in the chamber.

Probably standing because they prefer not to sit or were late to arrive and PMQ's had already commenced.

Spectators are seated in a gallery above those you are referring to.

Old 02-03-22, 03:05 PM   #14168
Skybird
Soaring

Four top aides to Johnson quit within hours. Is it a desperate attempt to enforce what Johnsons threatens to just sit out, or is it deserting from the sinking ship?
Its so very high time that he goes the way of the Dodo.
Old 02-04-22, 10:42 AM   #14169
Skybird
Soaring

Another top advisor leaves the (s/t/inking?) ship.

Its hilarious, and a display of shame and lacking class and quality, how everwhere those at the top always stick to their thrones as if being nailed onto them, always hijackign the whole country for their narcissistic craving for recognition and hopes to evade the judgement day of their "careers".
Old 02-04-22, 10:51 AM   #14170
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

He will leave if he's ordered to do so.

When I read that Mr Boris refused to resign or leave
I was picturing a scandal scene-Where Mr. Johnson in protest sit on his chair while holding to it with his hands refusing to leave-Yelling I'm your elected Prime Minister.

Of course this will not happen-I think he will leave before he is kicked out.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 02-05-22, 11:47 AM   #14171
Skybird
Soaring

"One no longer wonders about anything anymore!"

What will it take to finish him off?, asks CNN.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/05/u...gbr/index.html

I have no idea and not enough knowledge about British poltics to see what will happen after him, I only understand this: he must get rid off, he has overstepped all red lines and served way too many lies, lies and more lies. While one could argue that in his position even just one lie already is a lie too much. He lies by habit, and life-long experience that he gets away with notorious lying. Thats why he will never not lie. To lie has been conditioned into him.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-05-22 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-05-22, 02:59 PM   #14172
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

He's not as bad as Trump, so why should he go?

In 1672 a mob of angry dutch killed and ate their prime minister. Options

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-06-22, 06:57 AM   #14173
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The business secretary has appealed to his party to give Boris Johnson the "time and space to deliver" on the government's promises as pressure continues to mount on his leadership.

The PM had another difficult week, with a critical report into No 10 lockdown parties and five senior aides quitting.

More Tory MPs also declared publicly they had no confidence in him.

But Kwasi Kwarteng said the PM was carrying out his commitment for a reset in No 10 and focused on policies.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60279079
Expected from one of the Boris sycophants but how much more time does he need?

Old 02-07-22, 11:11 AM   #14174
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson told his new director of communications Guto Harri, "I will survive", by singing him lines from the Gloria Gaynor song as he appointed him to the post. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60289339

Old 02-08-22, 01:00 AM   #14175
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Boris Johnson told his new director of communications Guto Harri, "I will survive", by singing him lines from the Gloria Gaynor song as he appointed him to the post. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60289339

So if if you throw this Boris guy out. Who will replace him? And will they follow the American President and the Democrat party in any future wars against any nation that believes they must defend their own borders. Will you take the 2 flags and go to war?

Last edited by Gorpet; 02-08-22 at 01:10 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics