Closed Thread

Old 02-28-22, 04:56 PM   #1396
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Funny no one wanted that A-10. Or did the USA refuse to sell them?
I saw the A-10 when it came into Service! You damned near can't shoot that thing down!
It's fire power has to be seen to believe!
As a student I once saw two of them flying by when I was walking in a forest, and on a hillcrest, and stood on watch tower there. Its an sinastallaiton for military communications,a nd also very very near the installations of VOR-OSN. The two planes passed me almost at the height of my face (I wa son a tower standing on the hill peak) and so close that I could have reached them with a powerful stonethrow. I could clearly see the pilots head and helmet, and his head movement and hand raised to the side of his helmet, I do not know if it was waving at me, or the hand movement was just coincidence, but what then happened was no coincidence,ebut intention: the best was, beside that SOUND! , that I waved at them when they approached. And when they passed me, the lead plane waved back with its wings "nodding" three, four times, like in a movie!

He had seen me, and he greeted back that way. For the rest of the day (mind you, I was not even mid 20, and still watched movies like Top Gun), I was on 110% energy state, completely hyperbolic. It was incrdible.

I swear its true, it happend like I described, even if it may sound unbelievable. It was incredibly low, incredibly close, and he shook his wings at me, and he was at the height my face was. I have never forgotten that experience, never.
Anmd it s also true what they say, that you never forget the sound of these engines. They are unmistakable.
Old 02-28-22, 05:08 PM   #1397
Skybird
Soaring

Switzerland has joined in full the EU sanctions against Russian banks including the Russian central bank. They hesitated long.

German TV said - to my very big surprise - the Russian central bank has enormous foreign currency reserves (okay, that I knew) - but they stored 50-60% of these in foreign nations and bank deposits. Well, how stupid is that, if I may ask? You build reserves worth 500-600 billion to become independent from banking and financial sanctions like these - and then you leave them scattered around in reach of the enemy striking at them thsi easily...?? Stunning!

That means they have lost in one day 50-60% of their currency reserves.

And the ruble turns more and more into rubble.

He may also find it difficult to sell his gold reserves.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-28-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 05:09 PM   #1398
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I'm worried. Read Nostradamus on Paris in the 21st C. "Paris will be destroyed by birds from the east'.

At first I thought Soviets, then when we thought they had gone, migrants, now its Putin.

I personally think that if Putin says fire the missiles, he will be killed. Its not a good time to be living .....
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-28-22, 05:09 PM   #1399
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Turkey finally closes the Dardanelles for Russian warships.

What if the Russians test it?
Edit
Found it myself

Quote:
NATO member Turkey changed its rhetoric to call Russia's assault on Ukraine a "war" on Sunday and pledged to implement parts of an international pact that would potentially limit the transit of Russian warships from the Mediterranean to the Black Sea.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...ar-2022-02-27/

End edit

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 02-28-22, 05:17 PM   #1400
Andreas86
Ensign

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 2

Just read that Bulgaria, Poland and Slovakia will hand over 70 MiG-29 and Su-25 jets to Ukraine. Lovely!
Old 02-28-22, 05:18 PM   #1401
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I'm worried. Read Nostradamus on Paris in the 21st C. "Paris will be destroyed by birds from the east'.

At first I thought Soviets, then when we thought they had gone, migrants, now its Putin.

I personally think that if Putin says fire the missiles, he will be killed. Its not a good time to be living .....
Paris indeed has a huge population of exotic birds and migratory birds in its huge city parks, I saw a - wonderful - nature documentary about them some years ago. They sit and sh1t everywhere, so Nostradamus' fear is somewhat justified.
Old 02-28-22, 05:18 PM   #1402
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

53% are in favor of joining NATO in Finland, according to a new poll released today. In the past majority of Finns have been against joining.

Nice one, Putler.

I say let's do it. It's not like we've been neutral in a long time any more, and now we're sending weapons to Ukraine to kill Russians.
Old 02-28-22, 05:21 PM   #1403
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Read Nostradamus on Paris in the 21st C. "Paris will be destroyed by birds from the east".
You have got to be kidding me!
Nostradamus?
That stuff has been disproved for so LONG!
You may as well kill a chicken and read it's blood for future events!
See how far that works.

I think there is a conspiracy or whacko thread here at SubSim.
Old 02-28-22, 05:26 PM   #1404
Skybird
Soaring

Hungary says it will not let weapons deliveries for the Ukraine pass.

Well done, Victor, this one will break you your neck. You should have read the signs of the times.
Old 02-28-22, 05:35 PM   #1405
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
53% are in favor of joining NATO in Finland, according to a new poll released today. In the past majority of Finns have been against joining.

Nice one, Putler.

I say let's do it. It's not like we've been neutral in a long time any more, and now we're sending weapons to Ukraine to kill Russians.
Dowly, is it true what some days ago an analyst of the Bundeswehr said, that your milita reserve system in Finland allows you to increase the number of your standing army troops by a factorof TWENTY...? I know you have this system, I did not know about the factor.

The guy also said that you have stored, like POMCUS, full mechanised forces equipment for all these twenyt times more troops if you call them to duty, that they are not reservists of second class with nothing but rifles, but that they all have their place and seat in mechanised forces, tanks, IFVs, and full weaponry for infantrists.

Is all that true? If so, its extremely squirrelsome!!
Old 02-28-22, 05:44 PM   #1406
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Notwithstanding the prohibition of passage laid down in paragraph 2 above, vessels of war belonging
to belligerent Powers, whether they are Black Sea Powers or not, which have become separated from
their bases, may return thereto
Quote:
In time of war, Turkey not being belligerent, warships shall enjoy complete freedom of transit and
navigation through the Straits under the same conditions as those laid down in Articles 10 to 18
Noting that many Russian ships that are currently operating in the Med and stationed at Tartarus officially and legally have their home ports in the Black sea namely Novorossiysk and Sevastopol

From the Montreux treaty this is the only one where I think Russia could actually claim we have acted against international law in principle.

But if Turkey can get a resolution passed in the UN to forgo this segment of the treaty then we could be onto something, then if Russia does force the issue using force Turkey may be able to invoke article 5 and that wont bode well for all the other members I don't think.

That said the following Article 20 and 21 should be relevant in Turkeys case and IMHO should be applied

Article 20
Quote:
In time of war, Turkey being belligerent, the provisions of Articles 10 to 18 shall not be applicable; the
passage of warships shall be left entire y to the discretion of the Turkish Government.
Article 21
Quote:
Should Turkey consider herself to be threatened with imminent danger of war she shall have the right to apply the provisions of Article 20 of the present Convention.

Vessels which have passed through the Straits before Turkey has made use of the powers conferred upon her by the preceding paragraph, and which thus find themselves separated from their bases, may return thereto.

It is, however, understood that Turkey may deny this right to vessels of war belonging to the State whose attitude has given rise to the application of the present Article.

Should the Turkish Government make use of the powers conferred by the first paragraph of the present Article, a notification to that effect shall be addressed to the High Contracting Parties and to the Secretary-General of the League of Nations.

If the Council of the League of Nations decide by a majority of two-thirds that the measures thus taken by Turkey are not justified, and if such should also be the opinion of the majority of the High Contracting Parties signatories to the present Convention, the Turkish Government undertakes to discontinue the measures in question as also any measures which may have been taken under Article 6 of the present Convention.
This is why I said Turkey should seek a UN resolution before closing the straight, it would give them a unobscured and undisputed position plus guarantee protection under Article 5 and also give Russia no movement what so ever on the matter.

Note: the Montreux treaty was signed in 1936 by the Soviet union and defaulted to the Russian Federation 26 December 1991

Also Note the Montreux treaty was also adopted by the UN in 1952 as is, it has been amended by remains in force.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Old 02-28-22, 05:46 PM   #1407
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

cool Shoot 2 Thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Funny no one wanted that A-10. Or did the USA refuse to sell them?
I saw the A-10 when it came into Service! You damned near can't shoot that thing down!
It's fire power has to be seen to believe!
one might think they'd avoided such transactions...like warts on a hog!!?? And not w/o just cause. Spreading depleted-uranium tipped gatling ammo around now-captured Chernobyl reactor in an afflicted prospective NATO member is critical consideration. https://www.jstor.org/stable/4410258
Quote:
DU penetrators may miss the target, hit a ‘soft’ target or
hit a ‘hard’ target. Those striking a soft target (eg a lorry,
or lightly armoured vehicle) may well pass straight
The Royal Society The health hazards of depleted uranium munitions | May 2001 | 3
through. The effect of hitting a hard target (such as the
heavy armour of a battle tank or perhaps a large rock) is
to disperse a substantial amount of the DU penetrator in
the form of an aerosol of the metal and its combustion
products (uranium oxides). Some of this dust may be
inhaled or ingested by any surviving combatants within
the struck vehicle, or by those who enter the vehicle to
rescue any survivors. DU may also be inhaled or ingested
when materials deposited in a struck vehicle are
resuspended by soldiers or civilians entering the vehicle
at a later time. Lower levels of exposure will occur at a
distance owing to the spread of DU-containing aerosols.
The consequences for health of inhaling small particles
of this weakly radioactive metal are a major focus of this
report. However, uranium is also a toxic metal that has
been particularly associated with effects on the kidney.
The levels of uranium that might occur in the kidney
after inhalation or ingestion are estimated and their
possible effects on health examined in our second
report.
A further important potential hazard arises on the
battlefield when fragments of a DU penetrator that has
impacted or pierced a tank cause shrapnel wounds.
Small pieces of shrapnel embedded deep within tissues
can be difficult or hazardous to remove and a cohort of
US soldiers are being studied who have embedded DU
fragments resulting from ‘friendly fire’ incidents in the
Gulf War (annexe B). The radiation from these
embedded fragments, and the uranium released by
their slow dissolution, results in potential radiological
and chemical hazards.
https://royalsociety.org/~/media/roy...2001/10023.pdf Bottom LINE: Let Vlad the Bastard go on nuclear alert; Ukranian molotov coctals are working just fine... https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t86r

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-28-22 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-28-22, 05:50 PM   #1408
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/europ...led/index.html

Warning, graphic images
Old 02-28-22, 05:53 PM   #1409
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

@ Kapitan
When I read Skybirds comment about Turkey closing the Dardanelle I came to think of what you wrote in this thread.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=252006

It's a lot of reading and I must admit I didn't get half of it. To much Jura.

Edit
You have posted a part of this ^^ as a response in this thread
End edit

Markus

My little lovely female cat
Old 02-28-22, 05:58 PM   #1410
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
@ Kapitan
When I read Skybirds comment about Turkey closing the Dardanelle I came to think of what you wrote in this thread.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=252006

It's a lot of reading and I must admit I didn't get half of it. To much Jura.

Markus
You couldn't stand a few minuets of reading it I had to do a few weeks of dealing with it

Basically there is a big clause in the treaty that permits Russian warships to transit to their base even when the straight is closed, basically what its saying is Turkey cannot stop them.

Hence why I said to back up the invoking of the article 20 & 21 Turkey should seek UN resolution.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Closed Thread