SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-07, 03:58 AM   #121
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

If I read you right you did not go out far enough before returning to base. You should always go at least 50km out before returning to base. In other words, when you no longer see "Dock at Constanza" and instead see "Return to base", it is safe to do so.
Old 05-07-07, 06:04 AM   #122
nikbear
Sea Lord

Downloads: 86

Aha!that would be it! my legendery stupidity strikes again although dumping me off the southwest coast of africa in a typeII seems a bit mean
nikbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 09:27 AM   #123
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

You´re not alone, believe me
"although dumping me off the southwest coast of africa in a typeII seems a bit mean" Thats the games way of telling you to play by its rules or ells :rotfl:
Old 05-07-07, 09:43 AM   #124
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3
Hey, I wonder if a IID out of Kiel has enough fuel to make it to Thaila, resupply and with it's low profile break through Gibraltar?
Old 05-07-07, 10:06 AM   #125
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Hey
I think you would have to stop at El Ferrol or Vigo:hmm:
And take only two extra torps, you will need the space for extra supplies.
Old 05-12-07, 03:00 PM   #126
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

November -43, 30´th Flot. Constanza.
Willie Ranacher looks at the Commandant in disbelief.
-Lake of Azov? The Russians can walk out to us at Kertch and place mines on our deck

Will the 12´th patrol be the end to U-24?
Old 05-12-07, 03:38 PM   #127
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

U-00, An IIA out of wiliamshave.
Lagger123987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 05:51 PM   #128
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danurve
Hey, I wonder if a IID out of Kiel has enough fuel to make it to Thaila, resupply and with it's low profile break through Gibraltar?
Set speed to 6 knots and you may just make it!

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-07, 08:01 PM   #129
Kptlt. Siegmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 23

I just started a new career after my U-230 got sunk late August of 1940 by getting rammed by a merchant ship...don't ask

I really like the Type II U-Boats, and plan on using them until at least summer of 1940, perhaps longer. I really like the coastal patrols.
Kptlt. Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-07, 12:01 AM   #130
nikbear
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Siegmann
I just started a new career after my U-230 got sunk late August of 1940 by getting rammed by a merchant ship...don't ask

I really like the Type II U-Boats, and plan on using them until at least summer of 1940, perhaps longer. I really like the coastal patrols.
Thats the spirit,it takes cunning and skill to make the most out of a TypeII,the most fun and excitment I've had playing this game is in a typeII,your at your most vunerable and yet your most agile,every torp has to count,I bet you've never sweared as much as when a typeII torp misses by a hairs breadth.The problem is when if your like me you go back to other careers and start using typeVII's and typeIX's,talk about square pegs in round hole's
Old 05-13-07, 11:04 AM   #131
Kptlt. Siegmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 23

I have a Type IID now, U-137, since my U-6 was damaged beyond repair during my 2nd patrol. Details on how that happened can be found by clicking on my sig image and pulling up the captain's log for patrol 2. What saved me from total destruction was that these Type II boats present such a small target for tin cans, and, except for one case, they often missed by quite a bit.

I took U-137 out for a shakedown run and I'm very impressed. It's tiny, and a crash dive will bring the boat under in a hurry unlike those bigger boats.
Kptlt. Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 10:51 AM   #132
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Just sank an armed tug, using the C/38 Flak Zwilling
U-24 was just entering the Lake of Azov at 0500 loc. time with 12m. of water under her keel, when the Rwr came to life. After radio contact with Kertch we knew it was not one of our own ships. Decks awash and kleine fart foraus was ordered. At 0530 the armed tug was spotted at some 5000m. Shortly after that an small merchant and an tramp steamer was spotted. All three tubes were loaded with T3´s set for magnetic, tube 2 was fired at the tramp steamer, tube1 at the small merchant and tube 3 at the tug. One torp prematured but then the two merchants was hit, almost simultaneously, blowing them to pieces
But the tug then caught us in her search light and came after us, guns blazing. As she came within 500m the Flak guns were manned, I took the aft one and at almost point blank range opened fire. Nocked out her light, then her machine guns and the gun crew, then there was a series of explotions and she was gone The rate of fire from those C/38 Zwillings is fenomenal
No crew losses, but we will not dive to deep for the rest of the patrol:hmm:
Old 05-14-07, 04:20 PM   #133
nikbear
Sea Lord

Wish I could do that,whenever I've tried to take on and armed tug or trawler I seem to pick the one with attitude and the kind of marksmanship that would put the SAS to shame
Old 05-14-07, 05:51 PM   #134
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

been cheating on the canoe with the bigger boats what can I say....more eels...and I'm loving the Med, it's full of warships yes, but at least you get warmer weather and the occasional oddity like a lone british S-class sub

I've had the africa bug too, kept the saved game so when I have a holiday or something I can try and get back to a friendly base, this was In 39 so no resupply ships in spain, I measured the whole thing out, and I figure I can make it back to Wilhelmshaven if I never exceed 6 knts for any reason and if I go through der Kanal, nearest neutral port would be in south america or spain also by the time I get home the resupply ships will have arrived in Spain so I might just wait for those, don't know what we're going to eat though.......
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-07, 05:03 AM   #135
Crazy Ian
Torpedoman

Downloads: 10

It's early 1940 and BdU are trying to assist me in suicide.. For some reason they keep sending me to patrol slap bang in the middle of the Kanal...