0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 03:23 PM   #121
sk065
Bosun

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

And what about modding potential? Surely this will be affected when servers realise it is not vanilla and reject your copy of the games thinking its cracked or something. Its going to cause problems.

I have decided not to buy this game...Thank god for SH3 GWX (GWX team please reconsider GWX 4 for SH4)
Old 01-26-10, 03:26 PM   #122
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well, online authentication and some indispensible online content necessary to play the game are the trend of the future. It is good. It is the end of piracy. In fact, the pirates would be Ubi's good friend, distributing the drink coasters so people could access the Ubi site and be sold the rights to play game!

I think there is a problem with that model in that only Ubi would gain any income from the sale of games. Selling your used copy would be impossible. That's a legitimate place for government to get involved, requiring game companies to prominently label store copies of Steam and similar games that they cannot be resold. Alternatively, they could require that all drink coasters be resellable. Registration numbers of games that must be played online or while connected online are stupid anyway. Why not reduce your cost of distribution and let people make all the copies they want. The disk would just be a gateway to the game.

Online authentication and game content truly hurts the pirates. Online authentication and game content truly helps the players. It is the very first anti-piracy scheme that can be said to do that.

Don't have a reliable online connection? Get one. You'll be sunk without one. You need it anyway. Grow up and join the 21st century. It's already ten years old.

Quote from me: "Mice don't belong on computers, they belong in medical laboratories." You think I might use a mouse today? You betcha. And you'll happily play online authentication and game content games in five years, wondering why it took so long to see the obvious! I'll see you guys then for all the apologies.

I use JSGME with wild abandon with the Steam version of L4D and there are no problems whatever. All this catastrophising is ridiculous.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 01-26-10 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 03:28 PM   #123
kapitan_zur_see
Commodore

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk065 View Post
And what about modding potential? Surely this will be affected when servers realise it is not vanilla and reject your copy of the games thinking its cracked or something. Its going to cause problems.

I have decided not to buy this game...Thank god for SH3 GWX (GWX team please reconsider GWX 4 for SH4)
Biggest concern here also... Though devs said it was even more modders friendly as before, so it's likely it won't be a problem I guess. Though I hope it won't limit modding of certain aspects of the game

Old 01-26-10, 03:30 PM   #124
sk065
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

Don't have a reliable online connection? Get one. You'll be sunk without one. You need it anyway. Grow up and join the 21st century. It's already ten years old.
Please get educated. Some people dont have access to the internet due to government restraints, rural locations ect etc
Old 01-26-10, 03:31 PM   #125
meanstreak
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Default Dissapointed

Well hi there guys... Thought time is now right for me to drop a line.
I originally joined these forums back when SHIII was released, only posted a few times and over the last few years have only dropped in for short visits on the odd occasion, so few in fact that when it became necessary to log in to view the SHV side of things I could not remember my log-in details so had to register again .

I have been reading all the recent ranting, negative threads with amusement but all along I wasn't put off by any of it and fully intended to buy on release, I was just thinking great, a new Sub-sim, can't wait, surely it will improve on the series regardless of what all the nay-sayers think.
However now that I hear about this and provided it is good information I definitely will not be purchasing, £40 or so is a lot of money to me and because I find myself with only paltry mobile internet at the moment and whatever problems this may bring then the money is better spent I think.

So looks like I'll be digging out good old SHIII, reinstalling on my gaming rig and finally trying out all those wonderful mods that I never tried before. The only downside is the time it will take to download with my sloooowww connection, still every cloud has a silver lining.

Chin up folks.

Old 01-26-10, 03:31 PM   #126
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Hey hey hey that is not fair. There was plenty of evidence to suggest that SH5 was ruined before this came about!

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Old 01-26-10, 03:34 PM   #127
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

About modding; I think it just makes a version check or calculates a hash for the executable; no mod changes it, so no problems. Besides, Dan already confirmed the moddability is there.

To RR and others about unstable connection: just about everyone I know with wireless has an unstable connection. I see several messages from Skype per day that my brother came online, even though I know he never went offline. I pray to god Ubi sets a reasonable time-out, or anyone with a wireless connection will be playing in constant fear of loosing progress.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Old 01-26-10, 03:45 PM   #128
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakmonkey View Post
Well now its seeming certain this will part of sh5 i have to say a big thankyou to ubisoft, youve just lost a sale but saved me £40, its a shame, but at least ive now got an extra £40 to spend on cake,
Surely you know by now that the cake is a lie!
Old 01-26-10, 03:52 PM   #129
Hanomag
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 13
XBOX 360 .. 4TW!!!

I think pirates will hack it regardless.. online security sounds like gun laws to me.. only bothers the law abiders.. not the bad guys. So I am off to play COD MW2..

"Only if I can save first..."
Old 01-26-10, 03:56 PM   #130
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk065 View Post
Please get educated. Some people dont have access to the internet due to government restraints, rural locations ect etc
And those people will not be playing the next generation of games, just as people without computers are not playing SH3 or SH4. Then those people will either get access or not play. Virtually all will get access.

We are entering a new age, where all game content will be online and subscription fees will be how you pay. The games won't even be distributed on DVD drink coasters, they are too darned expensive to distribute and freeze the state of the game to yesterday's technology. Games that are online only can be updated daily and evolve properly into the simulations we deserve. Subscription fees provide a constant income stream to continue to employ the same dev team so they can work for years improving the game we love.

SH5 is just on baby step in the right direction. That's what's happening. Your only choice is to get with the program. Well, you could learn chess.
Old 01-26-10, 04:02 PM   #131
Apos
Mate

Downloads: 15

I cant see serious reason why they want to use DRM. It will be hacked/pirated in 1st day or week anyway and only legal users will be in deep ****.
Old 01-26-10, 04:02 PM   #132
roman2440
Seaman

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
About modding; I think it just makes a version check or calculates a hash for the executable; no mod changes it, so no problems. Besides, Dan already confirmed the moddability is there.

To RR and others about unstable connection: just about everyone I know with wireless has an unstable connection. I see several messages from Skype per day that my brother came online, even though I know he never went offline. I pray to god Ubi sets a reasonable time-out, or anyone with a wireless connection will be playing in constant fear of loosing progress.
About loosing progress and wireless connections: If the game loses connectivity in the middle of a game in progress it will Pause the game and retry the connection. Based on my experience with wireless this should basically make it a non-issue (one very short pause every game session or two isn't going to kill the game experience). If on the chance that it is unable to re-establish connectivity it'll give you the option of continueing from that spot or loading a save game. The FAQ doesn't specify if that is right away or if that is upon connection re-establishment:

See: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098
Pay attention to the updated FAQ section.
Old 01-26-10, 04:08 PM   #133
sk065
Bosun

Quote:
And those people will not be playing the next generation of games, just as people without computers are not playing SH3 or SH4. Then those people will either get access or not play. Virtually all will get access.

SH5 is just on baby step in the right direction. That's what's happening. Your only choice is to get with the program. Well, you could learn chess.
I have the OPTION of buying a PC to play SH3 and SH4. Some people (myself included) have limited connectivity to the internet, epecially at peak times. This is due to my geographical location and ISP constraints. Now my options are limited through no fault of my own. I think you will find many in this situation. I see what you are saying. Perhaps Florida is ready for this. But where I live, this is far from ideal. So how do you propose i get with the program?
Old 01-26-10, 04:18 PM   #134
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

i completely dissagree with you on that.

oh, and by the way i'll be playing sh3 and sh4 for the next 15 years and wont miss out on anything as far as i am concerned.

for years i have laughed at any game when i see i have to be connected to the internet to play it and see it as no different then those console only games.

if a game company makes a game i cant play on my PC (IMO online only means i cant play it) then i go buy some other game to play, be it new or old.

game companies can try to force their will on everyone against their wishes and for a while they get away with it but sooner or later enough people say no and stop buying it (literally) and give their money to games that are customer friendly.

sooner or later customers voices and opinions will matter again.

you cant sell a product if your customers wont buy it.

Old 01-26-10, 04:18 PM   #135
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Thanks, roman2440.

With that updated info it seems a bit more reasonable as well. Still would be pain if your game keeps pausing every 50 min. though.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Closed Thread