SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-18, 11:27 AM   #121
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Btw catfish your theory that says it will get cooler before it gets warmer, where did you get that?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-cold-s...140502572.html

Quote:
The study, based on observations and statistics, did not find evidence for a popular scientific theory that links melting Arctic sea ice to blasts of cold air escaping the top of the world.
The theory, which is still debated by scientists but gaining credence among many, is based on pressure changes and other factors that cause the jet stream to plunge and weather systems to get stuck. But the latest analysis didn't find such evidence.
Three scientists whose studies have connected Arctic warming to changes in extreme events disagree.
Because such atmospheric pressure changes happen occasionally, quick studies that rely on averages miss extreme events like the recent cold spell, said James Overland of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration who supports the theory.

I guess the 1970's global ice age theory scare must have been the one you were referring too huh?

Deep Though was wrong for some 97 IS the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 11:14 PM   #122
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

The really weird part about the debate if man is responsible, or not, is moot to me since I don't think anyone can argue man doesn't impact his environment. Just look out a window at random and count the garbage you see.

So what is wrong about putting some thought and practice into place to minimize it? Even simple steps at the smallest level have a huge overall impact when followed by billions.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 06:15 AM   #123
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
The really weird part about the debate if man is responsible, or not, is moot to me since I don't think anyone can argue man doesn't impact his environment. Just look out a window at random and count the garbage you see.

So what is wrong about putting some thought and practice into place to minimize it? Even simple steps at the smallest level have a huge overall impact when followed by billions.
Good point. I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of alarmist/deniers but I see no reason to add to the problem. Here in our little island province we have a system of waste management that sorts all garbage into waste, compost and recyclables. I remember when this system was first introduced some twenty years ago as an annoyance. Now I wouldn't have it any other way. There is no excuse. My pet peeve...people who throw cigarette butts out their car windows when at traffic lights. Idiots. It's not very big but it's still garbage.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 06:55 AM   #124
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

As said before, i don't care how much percent it exactly is, as long as it is more than 90 percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Btw catfish your theory that says it will get cooler before it gets warmer, where did you get that?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-cold-s...140502572.html [...]
You mix up something. The current cold in North America that is being (ab)used by some to deny climate change, is most probably indeed a local phenomenon and has not much to do with the global climate development. It is not an example for one or the other theory.

Regarding where "my" theory of the cooling-before-warming is from, this is usual content of geology lectures in meteorology and planet geology, in universities of England and Germany. The theories have not changed much since the 1980ies, if anything they are being proven by more and more samples being taken form the sedimentary and fossil records, along with ice core samples.

This does not mean that Trump could not change what is being taught in schools and universities with another one of his "decrees" if it somehow suits him, after all the damage this man has already done is breathtaking. I just doubt the rest of the (scientific) world will chime in and echo all this bovine scatology.

"We" do not have the power to really change anything big, neither politically, nor environmentally. However as Buddhaid and u crank said, if all do their part it might add up.
I guess everyone can agree that the landscape simply looks better without garbage, toxic lakes and industrial ruins.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 01-12-18 at 09:02 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 07:58 AM   #125
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

We now have, and are using, the tech know how to accurately measure climatic changes, and it is happening. One very visible result is the increase in the number of hurricanes which I mentioned before somewhere. Also glaciers are breaking off in bigger and bigger portions as they become unstable. One fell off last year, the size of the country of Wales. Denialists will always come along when something is mooted in the media, or by Nasa. They just don't want to believe. It is a natural occurrence but mankind is accelerating it, so that what once took a century or three to show, is now taking several decades.

The population of the sea is already suffering drastically. Reefs are collapsing and dying because, if the ambient temperature rises just a couple of degrees, the animals that form the coral reefs die off, and the reef structures bleach and die, leaving a wasteland of collapsed dead coral.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:04 AM   #126
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
This does not mean that Trump could not change what is being taught in schools and universities with another one of his "decrees" if it somehow suits him
I don't think you have a very realistic idea of US Presidential powers. Now maybe it's different in Germany but here POTUS cannot force schools or universities to teach (or not teach) anything.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:07 AM   #127
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
They just don't want to believe. It is a natural occurrence but mankind is accelerating it, so that what once took a century or three to show, is now taking several decades.

The population of the sea is already suffering drastically. Reefs are collapsing and dying because, if the ambient temperature rises just a couple of degrees, the animals that form the coral reefs die off, and the reef structures bleach and die, leaving a wasteland of collapsed dead coral.
I figure we (earth like peoples) are either at the beginning or in the middle or near the end of something ...

2 Peter 3:8-9

Quote:
But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 09:23 AM   #128
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:

It is an absolutely fantastic idea and goal to put in place cleaner and efficient ways to exploit earths resources. Another concern equal too and just as important is the health of the human population. People contract all types of illnesses and die from exposure to nuclear, biological and chemical wastes and products deliberately containing such crap.

Old 01-12-18, 10:49 AM   #129
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I remember digging for fossilized sharks teeth in Summerville, South Carolina weird thing is Summerville is currently 75 feet above sea level. If trends continue I imagine we may have some more warming to deal with and there isn't going to be a damn thing anyone can do about it. I suggest we approach it as rational people preparing for a future rather than accuse and cause a stir.

I recommend buying up cheap land in the Appalachians it could be much desired beach front property in several hundred years.

Old 01-12-18, 11:16 AM   #130
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
I remember digging for fossilized sharks teeth in Summerville, South Carolina weird thing is Summerville is currently 75 feet above sea level. If trends continue I imagine we may have some more warming to deal with and there isn't going to be a damn thing anyone can do about it. I suggest we approach it as rational people preparing for a future rather than accuse and cause a stir.

I recommend buying up cheap land in the Appalachians it could be much desired beach front property in several hundred years.
Don't forget the sea shells found in New Mexico
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 11:58 AM   #131
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
The fact that its just a few here and politicians who continue to glom on to and defend the 97% consensus as if it were gospel truth says a lot in my book.
If you read through this thread, you will note that I have not once used the 97% to prove anything, rather my reason of defending it is purely to show how wrong, misleading, misrepresenting and at times completely made up your arguments are. And I'm not doing it in hopes to make you change your mind, you're far too gone to the conspiracy territory, but those on the fence just might when they see the M.O. of the denier camp.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 11:01 AM   #132
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

My argument is the 97 percent consensus was found to be fatally flawed and refuted by actual climate scientists. Why your attempt to defend it had anything to do with me is quite puzzling. But if it helps you sleep better at night thinking it did I'm happy for you.

Old 01-14-18, 10:24 AM   #133
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I figure we (earth like peoples) are either at the beginning or in the middle or near the end of something ...

2 Peter 3:8-9
I read somewhere that we have entered the 6th age of extinction when Mother Nature begins the process of starting over.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-18, 10:31 AM   #134
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:

Old 01-14-18, 11:35 AM   #135
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

What if its just a big hoax used by politicians to create polarizing ideological silos and hyper partisan divide? Us'in agin Them'ins is good for politics, media, lawyers, business.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-14-18 at 11:45 AM.