Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-20, 12:18 PM   #13261
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
The UK and EU have agreed to carry on post-Brexit trade talks after a call between leaders earlier on Sunday.

In a joint statement, Boris Johnson and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said it was "responsible at this point to go the extra mile".

The pair discussed "major unresolved topics" during their call.

The two sides had said Sunday was the deadline for a decision on whether to continue with talks, with the UK set to leave EU rules at the end of the month.

The leaders agreed to tell negotiators to carry on talks in Brussels "to see whether an agreement can even at this late stage be reached".

They did not say how long these latest talks would continue, but the ultimate deadline is 31 December, and time must be allowed for the UK and European Parliaments to vote on any deal that emerges before then.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55292890
So, on and on it goes

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-13-20, 12:26 PM   #13262
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Do you think Boris Johnson will resign if there's no agreement ?

It seems like there is a tradition among the British Prime minister to step down, when they have failed in their crusade.

Markus
Old 12-13-20, 12:32 PM   #13263
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I doubt it Markus, at least not whilst he leads a majority government wit a clear majority supporting Brexit.

Old 12-14-20, 07:04 AM   #13264
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-14-20, 07:06 AM   #13265
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-14-20, 10:30 AM   #13266
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-14-20, 02:49 PM   #13267
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^, well a deal would be good for the UK, and the EU.
This kind of deal though is a lukewarm fail from a four year old beginning to the "glorious" end. I hope the undermining of EU democracy was worth the stunt.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-15-20, 06:02 AM   #13268
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm still hopeful of a deal but should that happen it will be a deal watered down by both sides imho.

Old 12-15-20, 07:12 AM   #13269
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm still hopeful of a deal but should that happen it will be a deal watered down by both sides imho.
But the "deal" on the table right now already does watering things down beyond recognising the exit in Brext anymore. Access to the common market is only to be had at the price the EU sets, and I can even understand that, its a membership privilige, and it is only to be had at the cost of becoming a member and following the clubhouse's rules. This was always clear - or was it not? To me it was. And the price is compliance with EU rules and regulations and demands reachign far beyond pure trade and bartering. And that is incompatible with "exiting" from these rules.

This simple, really simple contradiction is what makes the whole theatreshow so absurd. They are negotiating to create an illusion that gets away with giving the appearance of being a success in the meaning of what Brexit originally meant. But it doesn't.

If Brexit is meant to actually mean what the term implies, there can be no "deal" then. Any deal compromises Brexit's meaning.

Lets not have the illusion that the EU is a fair trading partner if trading with it on WTO terms. It knows the keyboard of playing the full spectrum of manipulating import and export quotas by formally correct but still hurting measures, and custom regimes. And as many countries in the third world can tell, it uses them, especially when it comes to protecting agricultural interests. And after the past years, there will be plenty of emotionally driven motivations to let the UK have it especially hard in any further relations, if no deal is acchieved. Especially a French desire this is, but not only.
Old 12-15-20, 08:28 AM   #13270
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I can do without some Johnson's shabby theatrics, thank you, and the EU can as well.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-15-20, 01:25 PM   #13271
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
But the "deal" on the table right now already does watering things down beyond recognising the exit in Brext anymore. Access to the common market is only to be had at the price the EU sets, and I can even understand that, its a membership privilige, and it is only to be had at the cost of becoming a member and following the clubhouse's rules. This was always clear - or was it not? To me it was. And the price is compliance with EU rules and regulations and demands reachign far beyond pure trade and bartering. And that is incompatible with "exiting" from these rules.

This simple, really simple contradiction is what makes the whole theatreshow so absurd. They are negotiating to create an illusion that gets away with giving the appearance of being a success in the meaning of what Brexit originally meant. But it doesn't.

If Brexit is meant to actually mean what the term implies, there can be no "deal" then. Any deal compromises Brexit's meaning.

Lets not have the illusion that the EU is a fair trading partner if trading with it on WTO terms. It knows the keyboard of playing the full spectrum of manipulating import and export quotas by formally correct but still hurting measures, and custom regimes. And as many countries in the third world can tell, it uses them, especially when it comes to protecting agricultural interests. And after the past years, there will be plenty of emotionally driven motivations to let the UK have it especially hard in any further relations, if no deal is acchieved. Especially a French desire this is, but not only.
I agree mainly but the British Lion will bite back if needed.

Old 12-15-20, 01:26 PM   #13272
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-15-20, 01:28 PM   #13273
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-15-20, 01:32 PM   #13274
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-15-20, 03:16 PM   #13275
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I agree mainly but the British Lion will bite back if needed.
The British Lion's mouth may be big, but it is toothless. So when the roaring pauses you can hear the antelopes giggling.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics