SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-12, 02:21 PM   #1276
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

haha, Impact + any Spell = win.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 02:27 PM   #1277
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Okay, now that the high class portion of my day is over, time to get back to what really matters: killing things. And looking good doing it.

Was finally able to get the RL patcher to run and get the "patch completed" confirmation window, but I had to open a Command Prompt Window and do it the old-fashioned way.

I completely uninstalled Java this morning, ran a registry check/clean to get rid of any leftover entries, and reinstalled it... and Windows still doesn't recognize what to use to execute the .jar file. If somebody knows the actual .exe file within Java that I can point it to, please TELL ME! I foresee a lot of tweaking to this mod and running the darn command prompt window every time is really going to be a PITA.

-----
Ignore this:

java -jar "Realistic Lighting Patcher.jar"

That's just for me to come back and refer to in case I forget what to type.
-----
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 04:45 PM   #1278
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Alduin and named dragons in general gave me trouble my first run through the game. I was a 2 hander, with no sheild perk of elemental protrection, no enchantments, and no fire resistance of any kind to speak of.

I did however, have an ample supply of health potions. It felt cheap, but it worked.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 05:35 PM   #1279
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post

I completely uninstalled Java this morning, ran a registry check/clean to get rid of any leftover entries, and reinstalled it... and Windows still doesn't recognize what to use to execute the .jar file. If somebody knows the actual .exe file within Java that I can point it to, please TELL ME! I foresee a lot of tweaking to this mod and running the darn command prompt window every time is really going to be a PITA.

Just curious I download the file and installed. Do you have the Creation kit installed you can rightclick on any esp file to check it out but you probably already know that.

In Winrar - options - settings - integration: JAR should be unchecked. If checked yur get all these other folders showing with .Class files inside.

I extracted all the files in the Data folder using Winrar
doubled clicked on Relistic lighting patcher.jar - windows pops up stating patch is complete & adds a SkyProcDebug folder and Realistic lighting Patcher.esp

load up Skyrim - data files shows two extra files
Realistic lighting Patcher.esp
Realistic lighting.esp

go into game and Wow! Why didn't I try this before. My last save is in a cave Ive run through this cave 3 times last night cause I kept dieing by the Draugr Scrourge warlords with the mod its darker in the right places so there I am running down the same path & passing scrourge's I didn't even see cause of the shadows. Splat!

Anyone recommend any other mods

I was going to try that Skyrim HD by Nebula but read it recommends a 1gig video card even for the lite version so never bothered. (9800GT 512mb card)

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 06:18 PM   #1280
darius359au
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@kiwi_2005
Their not graphics mods as such but Enhanced Dynamic Weather System with either Natural Skyrim Rain or More Rain mods,(More Rain mod seems to cancel the Natural Lighting mod at night though), are great for the atmosphere of the game ,the rain's not that little drizzle of the vanilla but actually can bucket down and you haven't fought a Dragon till you do it in a Storm at night while using the Realistic lighting Mod
Real Ice is a good one for making ice look alot better (not the plastic resin blobs of vanilla),and Realistic water textures and terrain will crank the water visuals and kerplunk's watery rock gives you nice wet rocks.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5388
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8562
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8739
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8395
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/download...?id=8328&tab=3
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=711
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4349
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10383
Old 02-24-12, 06:31 PM   #1281
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius359au View Post
@kiwi_2005
Their not graphics mods as such but Enhanced Dynamic Weather System with either Natural Skyrim Rain or More Rain mods,(More Rain mod seems to cancel the Natural Lighting mod at night though), are great for the atmosphere of the game ,the rain's not that little drizzle of the vanilla but actually can bucket down and you haven't fought a Dragon till you do it in a Storm at night while using the Realistic lighting Mod
Real Ice is a good one for making ice look alot better (not the plastic resin blobs of vanilla),and Realistic water textures and terrain will crank the water visuals and kerplunk's watery rock gives you nice wet rocks.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5388
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8562
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8739
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8395
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/download...?id=8328&tab=3
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=711
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4349
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=10383
Thanks I will check them out.

Old 02-24-12, 09:57 PM   #1282
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Just curious I download the file and installed. Do you have the Creation kit installed you can rightclick on any esp file to check it out but you probably already know that.

In Winrar - options - settings - integration: JAR should be unchecked. If checked yur get all these other folders showing with .Class files inside.
I don't have Winrar... if you're talking about decompression programs, I use 7zip or whatever it's called. JAR isn't even listed as a file extension in the 7zip options, checked or unchecked.

Anyway... I can use command prompt if I want to tweak any settings, but you know the funny thing, after all that... I went in and played several hours today with the RL mod enabled but no custom tweaks and so far it's been fine. Even went through a dungeon and it wasn't as bad as I expected, especially with Argis carrying a torch which he seems to do automatically if he has one. Some interiors are still a little dark but not as bad as what I remembered seeing before. So I'm going to leave it the way it is unless I see something that really bothers me.

Just saved in Whiterun on my way to Dragonsreach to summon Ohdahviing, thought I would finish up some business for the College of Winterhold while the Jarl got everything set up. Expected it to be a quick "retrieve an item and bring it back" but of course the item ended up being in a ginormous cave complex which was part Dwemer ruin and so, naturally, infested with Falmer. To be fair I could've gotten the item and turned around and headed back out but I figure I may never go back there with this character so why not clear it the heck out.

Anyway, finished that quest and now I can summon the shade of Arniel Gane altho I'm not sure what he does besides moan and groan. Got my inventory pared down to the bare necessities (I hope) for the trip to Skuldafn and Sovngarde... trying to walk the line between not having enough room to completely loot everything I can on the trip, and not having enough good gear with me to make it back alive.

I got a new Daedric bow and went with a mace and shield combo for up-close encounters. Never used a mace before but it looked like it would do a little more damage than any other 1H weapon on its own. Both enchanted to absorb health and magicka. Got a buttload of potions and filled greater soul gems for recharging weapons as needed. Got Sanguine Rose to summon some major assistance, and since I'll be on my own and won't have to worry about AoE stuff taking out followers, I got my three "wall of..." staves on hand. Plus the Staff of Magnus because it ought to be good for something besides closing weird magical outbreaks in the middle of nowhere.

Now - off to take a shower and grab some dinner and then I gotta see a Jarl about a dragon.
Old 02-24-12, 11:02 PM   #1283
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

^ Ok my bad I thought you couldn't get the mod installed, you want to tweak it instead. All righty.

I'm glad I install this mod it gives cave crawling a whole new meaning, I no longer take along companions just trying out different gameplay so far its been good going alone till I came across this Dragon Cult quest. My mission is to go and kill this bandit leader at Helm Hollow (side quest) I meet this camper along the way who asks me to fetch a mask (Siege on the Dragon Cult quest) in a cave nearby and not far from the side quest i am suppose to do so I thought why not shouldn't take long. Yeah right.

This Dragon cult quest would have to be the hardest quest Ive done alone in the game so far, Nimrod is at lvl 35 with Orcish armor 94, 2h glass greatsword & 2h Rueful Axe, Shield of Yssramar with iron battleaxe, no magic apart from a low heal ability not the best armor so its more smash my way through with the odd health pots to help and Ive never really had any trouble playing this way till now. Damn those Draugr Scrourge warlords or lords whatever they're called in groups of 3 or more and not much space to attack I have died often & with the realistic lighting mod every shadow is suspect. Well Im not to far from the mask going by the map, have died 3 times in the last 1hr gotten lost & gone round in circles nearly twice!

Old 02-24-12, 11:41 PM   #1284
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

yea, nothing like being a two handed character with the lighting mod and not being able to use a torch at the same time as your weapon!
Old 02-25-12, 01:19 AM   #1285
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

HOW I DIED COMPLETING THE MAIN QUEST

Forcing Odahviing to land and get caught in the trap?

No, although a few of the guards were not so lucky. Parts of at least one are probably still falling into that giant camp west of the city.

Working my way up to Skuldafn Temple, fighting off two dragons and Draugr DeathMasterWarOverLords in groups of three and getting shouted onto my dainty arse more times than I can count?

No, although I'm probably gonna need to forge a special Daedric Buttpillow when I get home.

Fighting the last interior boss for the Claw that was the key to the Word Wall chamber and passage to the door to the steps to the portal?

Oh, hell no. Even though Boss Draugr aren't Boss Draugr any more, I leveled up too far and now they're creepy flying Dragon Priests. Creepy flying Dragon Priests who can't eat more than two ebony arrows without disintegrating, but still.

Singlehandedly slaying not one but two dragons who were very displeased with me because I killed their boss priest and took his widdle staffy waffy?

HAH! I laugh at dragons. Even the displeased ones.

Proving to Tsun that I was worthy to enter the Hall of Valor?

Nope. Tweren't that either. Tsun was a piece of cake. Or sweetroll, if you will. A big, beefy, hunk of shirtless Nord sweetroll. With some of the clunkiest dialogue I've yet heard in Skyrim or related Aetherial realms associated thereunto. So to speak. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they brought George Lucas in to write his speeches.

But wait, fair maiden, I can hear you saying. How *did* you die completing the Main Quest? Surely if you passed all these other trivial tests unscathed, it must have been Alduin the World Eater himself who laid you low.

That's what *you* think, bub. Alduin is just an overgrown, over-hyped, flying iguana with delusions of grandeur. Me and them Sovngarde heroes of old, we took him out no problem.

No, my friends, let me tell you how *this* Dragonborn died completing the Main Quest. *This* Dragonborn lost her footing running across the dragon-bone bridge in Sovngarde, and fell to her death on the rocks below.

Yes, the final score on the first playthrough was...

Dovahkiin: 0
Slippery Skeletal Walkway: 1

But thanks to the modern miracle of Autosave and reload, round two went a little more smoothly. Alduin is now, in the words of the Dragonborn, as dead as I can make him.

Also: Sovngarde is awesome, seeing all the Dov with Paarthurnax at the TotW after is even more awesome. I almost cried.

So, to sum up... trapped a dragon, established my dominance so he would fly me to an otherwise inaccessible portal to the next world, defeated the many fearsome guardians of said portal, went to the next world, killed the Big Bad, saved this world, returned from the next world, and was duly acknowledged by those of my Dovahpeeps who are now on the friendly - or at least the "will not eat me on sight" - side of the line. And I *still* had some stupid bandit in piddly fur armor run up and threaten me with a sad little iron mace before I got halfway back to Whiterun.
Old 02-25-12, 09:24 AM   #1286
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Also: Sovngarde is awesome, seeing all the Dov with Paarthurnax at the TotW after is even more awesome. I almost cried.
That was cool.

Then I couldn't resist the temptation anymore and punched one in the face,
which aggroed them all and ironically I was eaten by Odahviing.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:44 AM   #1287
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
That was cool.

@ Frau- I knew it!! Almost happened to me and then I was like "Crap if I die from falling I'll quit this character and restart"
Old 02-25-12, 02:50 PM   #1288
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

The first time I went to Sovngarde I was a poorly constructed character that apparently could be two shotted by Tsun (Lvl 35 IIRC). So I found a rock and rained my crappy little arrows on him.

Then I had to walk across the bridge, Whoever in sovngarde decided "lets make the bridge to Shors hall out of a uneven whale skeleton!" needs to take a arrow to the knee...
Old 02-25-12, 04:19 PM   #1289
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post

@ Frau- I knew it!! Almost happened to me and then I was like "Crap if I die from falling I'll quit this character and restart"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force View Post
Then I had to walk across the bridge, Whoever in sovngarde decided "lets make the bridge to Shors hall out of a uneven whale skeleton!" needs to take a arrow to the knee...
I actually spent more than a few seconds looking around for the entrance before I realized I had to go *across* the skeleton to get there. And I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I think I walked across the first time and that was fine but coming back out to face Alduin I was trying to keep pace with the three heroes so: running.

And then there's that horrible thing that seems to happen in slo-mo where you suddenly realize you've lost your footing and are slipping downwards and it's W SPACE W SPACE TURN SPACE SPACE W W CMON SPACE W OH FOR THE LOVE OF... and still I'm thinking, well, fine, I'll be down by the little brook that runs through here and I'll just have to run around and climb back up to the other side of the gate and WAIT WHAT'S HAPPENING WHY IS IT SHOWING ME... oh crap.

Plus I'm pretty sure Kodlak saw the whole thing, by the time I get back to Whiterun he will probably have appeared to the Companions in spirit form to advise them on some, er, course corrections. "Oooookay turns out I might've jumped the gun on that whole 'next Harbinger' thing..."
Old 02-26-12, 01:47 PM   #1290
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Mage is once again over powered, even without spell crafting.

It is a touch harder than a sneak or warrior build, but once properly perked and armored with enchantments, you are invincible.

I am playing a no weapon mage. I dual cast everything.
And without using dual casting impact perk.

Even then I still outclass.

So I ask, is it a product of my own understanding of the game (skill), or the re-occurance of the "over-powered magic" from previous games.

I mean it is too simple, fus ro da... Then dual cast a fireball/lighting bolt until dead.

Not saying it isn't fun. Just OP once you get past your level infancy.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote