Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-15, 02:00 AM   #1261
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

I was finally able to track down Senna.

Amazing documentary about an amazing man. 10/10

Here's the link to it on Youtube. If you haven't seen it, I strongly urge you to make time to watch it whether you're a racing fan or not.

Old 02-22-15, 04:54 AM   #1262
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I was finally able to track down Senna.

Amazing documentary about an amazing man. 10/10

Here's the link to it on Youtube. If you haven't seen it, I strongly urge you to make time to watch it whether you're a racing fan or not.

I'd strongly urge you to buy a genuine disc to help Senna's legacy, rather than some illegal copy on YouTube (I doubt Senna's family put it on).

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instituto_Ayrton_Senna
Old 02-22-15, 05:57 AM   #1263
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
Just got on DVD the The Purge and The Purge:Anarchy, anyone seen these my mate says there pretty good.
The potential for both, but particularly the first, was greater than the film produced.
Old 02-22-15, 12:41 PM   #1264
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
I'd strongly urge you to buy a genuine disc to help Senna's legacy, rather than some illegal copy on YouTube (I doubt Senna's family put it on).
Oh believe me, i've been trying. I can't find it anywhere.

I'll keep looking around and I WILL buy it someday.
Old 02-22-15, 12:59 PM   #1265
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Oh believe me, i've been trying. I can't find it anywhere.

I'll keep looking around and I WILL buy it someday.
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...na%2Caps%2C312

Amazon.com may have it, too. If not, just buy it from .ca.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-15, 01:51 PM   #1266
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...na%2Caps%2C312

Thanks, saved me two minutes on Google.

Great film though. The only time I've ever been in a cinema full of blokes and every one of them crying one way or another. I decreed to purchase it on Blu-Ray, making it my first, and I refused to buy a second hand copy so as to deprive the IAS. Any other film I have far fewer scruples. I think following F1 in the early '90s and seeing Roland and Ayrton's accidents makes it more personal.
Old 02-23-15, 06:26 PM   #1267
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Just saw Kingsman last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802144/

Best movie I've seen in a while.

Tarantino meets James Bond. There were some parts that left my jaw hanging open, either from awesomeness or absurdity. The action sequences can get a little graphic, but not gory. And the fact that Samuel L Jackson plays the baddies, and has a lisp, had me laughing. It addresses the that fact it plays off of cliche stereotypes of Spy movies without actually being a spoof, it stands completely on it's own merits.

It also easily left the door open for sequels, albeit with some plot 'closure' required. As long as it keeps the energy level of the original, I will gladly await a sequel.

I'm not one for first run theaters and their over inflated prices, but the experience was very enjoyable and very much worth the cost of admission.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 07:36 PM   #1268
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I just found a Bluray copy of Blue Thunder in a bargain bin for 3 bucks not bad. Defiantly a cult classic.

I'm talking about the movie with Roy Scheider not the crap TV show they ran later.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 07:59 PM   #1269
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Just saw Kingsman last night.
Looks like a hoot! I see Colin Firth acting like a Michael Caine clone from The Ipcress File, and then there's the real Caine as his boss? It looks like the goal is to have everybody look like Michael Caine.

I guess I'm gonna have to see this one.
Old 02-24-15, 01:19 AM   #1270
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprat69er View Post
I'd buy it from amazon...but here's the thing...

I don't have a credit/debit card and I have exactly zero money in the bank. My paychecks are barely enough to pa for my car at this point in time. Business at the store is down and my hours got cut from 13-15 per week to around 4-6 per week.

To order something from Amazon, I have to take 30$ of my $45 (roughly) paycheck and go buy a prepaid credit card and that doesn't leave me any for gas and insurance.

It's much easier to go to a store and pay 8-15$ and have exactly what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
Great film though. The only time I've ever been in a cinema full of blokes and every one of them crying one way or another. I decreed to purchase it on Blu-Ray, making it my first, and I refused to buy a second hand copy so as to deprive the IAS. Any other film I have far fewer scruples. I think following F1 in the early '90s and seeing Roland and Ayrton's accidents makes it more personal.
I wasn't around in the early 90's but I bet that was insane watching his career unfold. Just by going off of old archive race footage and documentaries and stuff, F1 was so much more exciting in those years. I wish I could've been around for it.

I'm not a fan of these new rules (turbo V6...eeewww) and I'm definitely not a fan of Lewis Hamilton. Seems he's trying to have a career in modeling at the same time. The guy doesn't strike me as a racing driver.
Old 02-24-15, 01:57 AM   #1271
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Sounds like you should be saving your money not spending it. You must be getting some help from your parents as no way are you at that rate of hours earning enough to pay a note on a car and the insurance and the gas to drive it. You're lucky.

One tank of gas alone is 26~30 dollars for compact car, typically insurance is 80~90 per month if combined on a parents plan(wait till you turn 18 and they start charging the adult rate)

My older brother and me split a car and we had to give the cost of the insurance to my dad and we had to pay for gas. We also had to give a portion of any money we earned while working to the family to pay our share of food. This was not because my parents where poor either they did it to instill financial responsibility. Many of my friends did not even have their own car.

Anyway back to movies a great film about financial responsibility is The Jerk
(if you've seen it and remembered the end)

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-24-15 at 02:19 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-15, 03:20 AM   #1272
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
I wasn't around in the early 90's but I bet that was insane watching his career unfold. Just by going off of old archive race footage and documentaries and stuff, F1 was so much more exciting in those years. I wish I could've been around for it.
That always makes me laugh. I was around in those years and thought they were awful. To me F1 started to die with the coming of wings in 1968, and the advent of turbochargers finished it off. I wish I could have seen people like Fangio race in the '50s. On the other hand I've seen the old film clips, and that's probably all I would have seen at the time.

And now it's finally time to stick my neck out. I may be the only person alive who detested Ayrton Senna. He was a fine driver, but he may have been one of the world's worst sportsmen. He won one championship by cheating, and intentionally risked not only his own life but that of another driver to do it. I was sad to see him die, and I was watching the race and saw it in real time, but I still couldn't stand the guy.

Sorry, but there it is.
Old 02-24-15, 09:46 AM   #1273
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Sounds like you should be saving your money not spending it. You must be getting some help from your parents as no way are you at that rate of hours earning enough to pay a note on a car and the insurance and the gas to drive it. You're lucky.
I get a little bit of help with insurance but gas is all mine.

Quote:
One tank of gas alone is 26~30 dollars for compact car, typically insurance is 80~90 per month if combined on a parents plan(wait till you turn 18 and they start charging the adult rate)
Last time I filled up, I paid 18$ for a tank of gas and I pay $140 for insurance.

Quote:
My older brother and me split a car and we had to give the cost of the insurance to my dad and we had to pay for gas. We also had to give a portion of any money we earned while working to the family to pay our share of food. This was not because my parents where poor either they did it to instill financial responsibility. Many of my friends did not even have their own car.
My school is so small that I HAVE to be involved in every sport and club otherwise the school may not have those things...so I'm always running around. It's hard not having a car and living in the middle of nowhere these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That always makes me laugh. I was around in those years and thought they were awful. To me F1 started to die with the coming of wings in 1968, and the advent of turbochargers finished it off. I wish I could have seen people like Fangio race in the '50s. On the other hand I've seen the old film clips, and that's probably all I would have seen at the time.
I can see where you're coming from...you might say the wings kinda started that whole arms race thing. I did a history research report on the history of the Grand Prix a while back and got to looking at some of that old 1950's GP stuff. Really cool and a lot less political.

Quote:
And now it's finally time to stick my neck out. I may be the only person alive who detested Ayrton Senna. He was a fine driver, but he may have been one of the world's worst sportsmen. He won one championship by cheating, and intentionally risked not only his own life but that of another driver to do it. I was sad to see him die, and I was watching the race and saw it in real time, but I still couldn't stand the guy.
I can respect that. A lot of people love Mercedes-AMG-Petronas right now...I absolutely hate them. Hamilton and Rosberg just grind my gears.

I'll give you that part on Senna cheating. It looked on the documentary kinda like that. But Prost didn't look clean either. (Assume that's the one you're talking about)
Old 02-24-15, 11:49 AM   #1274
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
I'll give you that part on Senna cheating. It looked on the documentary kinda like that. But Prost didn't look clean either. (Assume that's the one you're talking about)
No, he didn't. It could be argued that Senna was no different than his peers, and that kind of driving has become to be considered acceptable behavior.

The same year that wings came along also saw the first sponsorship deals. That, I think, is when it started becoming less of a sport and more of a business. Until that time drivers competed in every race they could find - Grand Prix, Sports Cars, Saloons, and everything else. In 1950, the year of the first championship, there were 24 races run in Grand Prix cars. Seven of them were Nationally sponsored, and six of those garnered points for the drivers. They didn't care about the Championship, and they also ran in a large number of other types of races. Today drivers are bound by contract to race in one class and only that class.

Until 1958 a team's lead driver could take over the car of another driver if his broke. the points earned would be shared between them. There was more than one case of a team leader within reach of the Championship having his car break, and another driver would just pull in and offer his. Can you picture that happening today? In those days they were true sportsmen.

In 1950 there was a rule governing engine size. That was it. Today the rules fill a fairly large book. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but how much is too much?
Old 02-24-15, 02:31 PM   #1275
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
No, he didn't. It could be argued that Senna was no different than his peers, and that kind of driving has become to be considered acceptable behavior.
I think both sides of the discussion can agree that it was a cheap way for the championship to end.

Quote:
The same year that wings came along also saw the first sponsorship deals. That, I think, is when it started becoming less of a sport and more of a business. Until that time drivers competed in every race they could find - Grand Prix, Sports Cars, Saloons, and everything else. In 1950, the year of the first championship, there were 24 races run in Grand Prix cars. Seven of them were Nationally sponsored, and six of those garnered points for the drivers. They didn't care about the Championship, and they also ran in a large number of other types of races. Today drivers are bound by contract to race in one class and only that class.
And heck, you'll never see any form of race car that isn't COVERED in stickers, emblems, logos, etc.

I get that racing is expensive....but it's all too political when the sponsors are involved.

Quote:
In 1950 there was a rule governing engine size. That was it. Today the rules fill a fairly large book. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but how much is too much?
I can see how the FIA wants everybody to be on a level playing field. If one team has more money and resources to build a better car than another, you could say that the losing team just isn't competitive...but if you have one team that just continually dominates over the others then you don't have a competition anymore.

But yeah, it could be too much eventually. I don't know if i'd say it's too much yet...but they are some pretty specific rules.

Tags
films, movie, movies