Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-20, 02:58 PM   #12511
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I've toured Parliament easily in excess of double figure numbers but always as a gueat of a politician and never had to pay a penny for the 'privilege'

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-21-20, 09:49 AM   #12512
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

VARAD ENOUGH Brexit-bashing Irish PM Leo Varadkar quits following crushing election defeat, serves you right you plonker.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/110093...aradkar-quits/
Old 02-21-20, 12:47 PM   #12513
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

He certainly won't be missed by a great many here in the UK and no doubt the EU will repay his loyalty by giving him a lucrative position but at least it won't be UK money paying his wages.

Old 02-21-20, 12:57 PM   #12514
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
European Union leaders meeting for a second day in Brussels sought to break a deadlock over the bloc’s long-term budget amid wide divisions over how to fill a financing hole created by Brexit.

All-night talks failed to resolve differences over spending levels and rebates, with leaders voicing pessimism over the prospects for a deal and indicating that another emergency summit may be needed to reach an accord.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexi...id=mailsignout
I can't honestly say I'm surprised but no doubt the smaller contributors will still want their disproportionate share of the cake.

Old 02-21-20, 06:04 PM   #12515
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I can't honestly say I'm surprised but no doubt the smaller contributors will still want their disproportionate share of the cake.
There are so many camps in this dispute that its not really surprise that its hard to reach compromise. In one end are "one percenters" who want to keep EU funding at 1,0% of combined GDP and compensate by cutting funding. Then there is the Commission which wants combination of revenue increases and cuts. In opposite end is the European Parliament which requests 1,2% of combined GDP which would be significant incrases over what budget was pre-Brexit.

Another important dispute is on how to use that money. How much to agricultural subsidies, how mcuh into cohesion funding and how much into everthing else such as scientific research, enviromental projects and defence funding. When you consider that decisions will more or less stand for seven years, its understandable that many countires are ready to fight hard as chances for changes are not often available.
Old 02-22-20, 07:56 AM   #12516
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The first blue British passports for nearly 30 years will be issued next month, the Home Office has said.

The current burgundy design is being replaced, following the UK's departure from the European Union.

Blue passports were introduced in 1921 and phased out after 1988 when members of the then European Economic Community agreed to harmonise designs.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the passport will "once again be entwined with our national identity".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-515850...eporting-story
I doubt this will affect me, I'm only two years into a ten year passport.

Old 02-22-20, 07:56 AM   #12517
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The first blue British passports for nearly 30 years will be issued next month, the Home Office has said.

The current burgundy design is being replaced, following the UK's departure from the European Union.

Blue passports were introduced in 1921 and phased out after 1988 when members of the then European Economic Community agreed to harmonise designs.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said the passport will "once again be entwined with our national identity".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-515850...eporting-story
I doubt this will affect me, I'm only two years into a ten year passport.

Old 02-23-20, 07:50 AM   #12518
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
French President Emmanuel Macron has said he is "not sure" a UK-EU trade deal will be struck by 31 December, the end of the Brexit transition period.

Mr Macron said negotiations starting in March will be "tense", with fishing rights a key point of contention.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51601664
I'm not sure how the issue around fishing rights will be resolved if it is even possible at all.

Fish exports are pretty small compared to other trade but seem to get the biggest headlines.

Old 02-23-20, 09:37 AM   #12519
Moonlight
Admiral

^ I'd say fish exports are so small is because the EU fishing trawlers are providing everything that the EU countries need.
Old 02-23-20, 09:39 AM   #12520
Moonlight
Admiral

Default foreign aid

The foreign aid budget should be used to resolve this floody crisis and help these communities who are underwater. In the meantime, I don’t see a single foreign country coming to our aid when we have a crisis like this. Charity begins at home, and with half the UK under water, this is a vital cause. Taxpayers’ money should be going towards flood relief, not girl bands in Ethiopia (or whatever else it is they spend this budget on).

THE SUN ON SUNDAY SAYS Does China need our flood aid cash when we face so many pressures of our own?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/110220...s-foreign-aid/
Old 02-23-20, 09:51 AM   #12521
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK spending on foreign aid.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-spending-foreign-aid/

I notice China and India are no longer recipients.

Old 02-23-20, 11:50 AM   #12522
Moonlight
Admiral

^ The government as usual are pulling the wool over peoples eyes, all they did was re-package it up and named it something else.

HOUSE of COMMONS LIBRARY BRIEFING PAPER
Number 7996, 19 February 2020

Q11 Why is UK aid still going to countries like India, China and South Africa?

Members of the public have complained in recent years that, despite official statements that UK aid would no longer be spent in middleincome countries like India, China and South Africa, this promise was being broken.
It is true that UK aid continues to be spent in these (and other) middleincome countries, although it has decreased. But a closer look at the statements made by 2010-15 UK coalition government shows that it did not actually say that spending would end completely.
Old 02-23-20, 12:44 PM   #12523
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/p...al-dissasters/

"The total envelope of the ERDF of €196.4 billion remains unchanged. To help member states cope with natural disasters the EU will also continue to use its solidarity fund of which €500 million can be mobilised each year."

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-24-20, 05:48 AM   #12524
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Labour members have begun casting their votes in the party's contest to replace outgoing leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Sir Keir Starmer, Lisa Nandy and Rebecca Long-Bailey qualified for the ballot after obtaining enough support from unions and affiliated groups.

The party is also choosing a new deputy leader, following Tom Watson's resignation in December.

Voting will close on 2 April, with the results announced at a special conference two days later.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51606332
I wonder which one of these losers will be picked

Old 02-24-20, 05:51 AM   #12525
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Diane Abbott has said she will quit the front bench of Labour when a new leader is elected.

Ms Abbott, the shadow home secretary, told Sky News that whoever becomes leader, "they have to be able to construct their own shadow cabinet".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51607512
My thinking is that she knows she can no longer enjoy the protection Steptoe used to provide her so she has decided to jump before she is pushed.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics