Closed Thread

Old 12-23-19, 01:31 PM   #12241
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
My preference would be proportionate representation but we both know neither of the two largest parties would be interested in seeing that come about.
So very true.

I'm still surprised that the SNP are still supporting PR as it's actually against their interests for Westminster elections as they'd loose a lot of MP's. Mind you, they do have to deal with the hybrid D'Hondt method that the Scottish Parliament is elected with.

Under those circumstances it's mildly amusing to see the Scottish Tories being against PR for Westminster as they'd actually gain MP's, but they do have to toe the UK Conservative line.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 12-23-19, 02:07 PM   #12242
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Boris Johnson should honour tradition and make ex-House of Commons Speaker John Bercow a lord, his successor has suggested.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle said the prime minister should maintain the more than 200-year-old convention.

Mr Bercow has so far been denied ennoblement after fury from the government over his perceived Brexit "bias".
https://news.sky.com/story/commons-s...erage-11893118
I had high hopes for Sir Lindsay Hoyle but now I'm beginning to doubt them.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-23-19, 02:34 PM   #12243
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

^ It seems like every announcement or decision House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle makes that goes against your's or the Tory parties wishes makes his head worthy of the chopping block.
Refusing to award Bercow a peerage would be an act of political spite, I knew the Tory party were capable of it but I didn't know you were Jimbuna, until now that is.
Old 12-23-19, 02:41 PM   #12244
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
^ It seems like every announcement or decision House of Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle makes that goes against your's or the Tory parties wishes makes his head worthy of the chopping block.
Refusing to award Bercow a peerage would be an act of political spite, I knew the Tory party were capable of it but I didn't know you were Jimbuna, until now that is.
Please be kind enough to show my opinion about 'every' announcement Sir Lindsay Hoyle has made.

Furthermore, 'doubting' one comment or opinion is a far cry from making 'his head worthy of the chopping block'

Your choice of words not mine.

Old 12-24-19, 06:42 AM   #12245
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-24-19, 07:57 AM   #12246
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Allegedly there is a law in the works which allows 5 year sentences for not providing encryption keys to the state for the encrypted data.

The catch, allegedly, is that the encrypted file does not even need to exist, random noise can be interpreted as an encrypted file, or you can be accused of hiding it in other normal files via stenography.
Old 12-24-19, 08:36 AM   #12247
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

OK let's get this over with, yes it is a bit early but i do not care so here goes. Well what a rollercoaster year 2019 has been, the big three has almost lost all their leaders starting with the ousting of May by Boris then Swinson lost her seat at the election and in hours stepped down as leader, the nameless one suffered a defeat at the election and will not step down until next year, typical of that thing.

So we started the year with a coalition then Boris takes over and plunges that into a minus 40 odd give and take then the election went ahead and now Boris rules the roost. So what is there to look forward to in 2020?

Nothing at all as i see it, Boris is king and can do what he wants. Local elections will be interesting in May and after that well sod all, brexit will be a hard as both sides will play hard ball. If the SNP gets its way and wins the referendum then i will say bye bye and let them get on with it, they will be another millstone around the neck of the EU asking for more than they put back into it.

As for the Labour I do not believe a moderate centralist will win just a clone of the nameless one. The LibDems stand a better chance learning their lesson but who will get the job no idea, and on that note i am done here and probably will not post until the local elections.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 12-24-19, 10:37 AM   #12248
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-25-19, 12:30 PM   #12249
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

As i said above folks i am not going to be around much from here on as i have decided to tell the internet get lost you are not controlling me anymore. So unless anything big happens in the world of UK politics i am off for a while and will swing by around the time of the local election's and then the end of the year.

So see you all in 5 months time.

Time for soup and a good read.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 12-26-19, 06:42 AM   #12250
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-27-19, 07:16 AM   #12251
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-28-19, 08:05 AM   #12252
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Former deputy leader of the Labour Party Tom Watson has said he stood down as an MP because of "brutality and hostility" within his party.

The former West Bromwich East MP, who stood down last month, told the Guardian criticism from factions and on social media became a "heavy load".

Mr Watson also claimed party officials concealed a death threat towards him.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50930272
As far as I'm concerned this is further proof of how toxic Labour have become under Corbyn and Momentum.

Old 12-29-19, 07:07 AM   #12253
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

This article IMHO is pretty well written and hits close to the reasons Labour suffered so terribly at the polls but I doubt Momentum will allow such a far reaching review into the matter.

Quote:
Labour MPs who lost their seats in the election have called for "fundamental change" at the top of the party.

In a letter to the Observer, the group said "cronyism" in the party and Labour's "unwillingness" to stand up to anti-Semitism were repeatedly raised as issues on the doorstep.

An "unflinching" look at the causes of Labour's defeat was now needed, they warned, rather than a "simple review".

A panel has been established to look at Labour's election failure.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50936655

Old 12-29-19, 08:43 AM   #12254
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Former Tory leader Michael Howard has said judges sometimes "distort" the law they are interpreting "to reach the result they want to achieve".

Lord Howard, a former barrister, criticised the Supreme Court for ruling that Boris Johnson's suspension of Parliament was unlawful.

On Friday, outgoing Supreme Court President Lady Hale insisted judges were not "politically motivated".

But Lord Howard questioned whether unelected judges should make the law.

The Conservative manifesto pledged to review the "relationship between the government, Parliament and the courts" and the Queen's Speech included plans for a "constitution, democracy and rights commission".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50933535
This may well open up a whole new can of worms.

Old 12-29-19, 09:23 AM   #12255
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics