Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-19, 03:09 PM   #12166
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Not just Labour.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-16-19, 03:23 PM   #12167
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

First time this has happened in a good while.

Quote:
Boris Johnson is carrying out a limited reshuffle of his government after urging newly elected Tory MPs to "change our country for the better".

Simon Hart has been named as Welsh secretary, replacing Alun Cairns, who quit at the start of the election.

And Nicky Morgan stays as culture secretary, despite standing down as an MP. She is taking a peerage and will sit as a cabinet minister in the Lords.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50816908

Old 12-16-19, 03:40 PM   #12168
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

The first 5 minutes covers his view on what happen and the rest is about 2020 and the government.

Another take on the election, they are going to do a more detailed one later.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 12-16-19 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 06:43 PM   #12169
STEED
Lucky Jack

So we all know why Labour failed so here is my view on the LibDems.

I believe this stems from the EU elections where they did well, they seemed to think that result would transferred over to the general election. Oh dear how wrong can you be, people always vote in different ways at different elections so why did they think they could do it.

Well they just stayed on the roller coaster and getting a buzz from it. So what went wrong was electing Jo Swinson as there leader oh come on this women clearly was not leadership material but they failed to see it.

Passing that motion scraping article 50 was a slap in the face for democracy and finally Swinson strutting around thinking she was going to be prime minister in the early part of the campaign. She slipped up in interviews showing her weakness and failed to win her own seat that fell to the SNP.

Unlike Labour there is a slim chance the LibDems will learn their lesson but they are a long way from the days of Paddy Ashdown. And if they hope to put Swinson in the House of Lords shows they have a very long way to go.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 12-16-19, 07:53 PM   #12170
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

If there is one way to get a kicking and half from the UK voters, its arrogance.

Brexit = Remain arrogantly assumed they would win
They lost by a narrow margine

2017 Election = Tories arrogantly thought their seats were safe and draughted a horrible manifesto, while they still formed a majority with DUP, they took quite a beating.

And of course Lib Dems in 2019, Swinson got way too big for her boots with the 'lets just scrap brexit' policy,
plus it turned out the more people saw of her on the telly, they less they liked her. And the Libdems were caught blatantly lying a few times on the campaign trail.
Old 12-17-19, 05:25 AM   #12171
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
If there is one way to get a kicking and half from the UK voters, its arrogance.

Brexit = Remain arrogantly assumed they would win
They lost by a narrow margine

2017 Election = Tories arrogantly thought their seats were safe and draughted a horrible manifesto, while they still formed a majority with DUP, they took quite a beating.

And of course Lib Dems in 2019, Swinson got way too big for her boots with the 'lets just scrap brexit' policy,
plus it turned out the more people saw of her on the telly, they less they liked her. And the Libdems were caught blatantly lying a few times on the campaign trail.
I believe there are almost unprecedented lessons to be learned by all parties this time round....1) Don't take the electorate for granted and 2) Don't let your backside write cheques your mouth cannot cash.

Old 12-17-19, 05:31 AM   #12172
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The government is to add a new clause to the Brexit bill to rule out any extension to the transition period beyond the end of next year.

The post-Brexit transition period - due to conclude in December 2020 - can currently be extended by mutual agreement for up to two years.

But an amended Withdrawal Agreement Bill the Commons is set to vote on this week would rule out any extension.

Critics say this raises the chance of leaving the EU without a trade deal.

But senior Cabinet Minister Michael Gove insisted both the UK and the EU had "committed themselves to making sure that we have a deal" by the end of 2020.

He also promised Parliament would be able to scrutinise the Withdrawal Agreement Bill "in depth".

Shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer said the move was "reckless and irresponsible" and he argued that Prime Minister Boris Johnson was "prepared to put people's jobs at risk".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50818134
Too early to say if this is a wise move or not but if there is goodwill and the negotiations are carried out in an open and transparent manner between both parties it just might work.

Old 12-17-19, 05:34 AM   #12173
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Emily Thornberry warned privately in September that Labour's election chances would be hampered by taking a neutral position on Brexit.

Speaking at the party's conference, for a BBC film being broadcast on Tuesday, she said she was worried about Jeremy Corbyn saying he "didn't have a view" on the biggest decision facing the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50817406
Nothing quite like a bit of self preservation aided with damage limitation...."Look, this election outcome was none of my fault"

Old 12-17-19, 06:40 AM   #12174
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK unemployment fell to its lowest level since January 1975 in the three months to October this year.

The number of people out of work fell by 13,000 to 1.281 million, Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures show.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50820280

Old 12-17-19, 06:50 AM   #12175
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
UK unemployment fell to its lowest level since January 1975 in the three months to October this year.

The number of people out of work fell by 13,000 to 1.281 million, Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures show.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50820280
I do not believe these figures as the benefit system is so harsh the second a person is sanctioned the second they are off the figures. I am not saying they are a total lie but they are not totally truthful.

Bumped into someone i knew the other day who has mental health issues and claims benefit told me he is always being sanctioned for reasons i found ridiculous and stupid.

Old 12-17-19, 06:53 AM   #12176
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Well, you like everyone else are entitled to an opinion.

Old 12-17-19, 07:30 AM   #12177
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Postie just delivered this christmas card. I won't post the inside because it contains pictures and contact details of the three ward councillors.

Both national and local parties seem to be hell bent on getting my support again.

Old 12-17-19, 09:13 AM   #12178
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Adding to Jim's earlier post:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tlaw-extension

Hehe. That bill could have been by me.
Old 12-17-19, 10:45 AM   #12179
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Adding to Jim's earlier post:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tlaw-extension

Hehe. That bill could have been by me.
He has a comfortable majority in which to do it as well.

Old 12-17-19, 01:32 PM   #12180
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The chickens came home to roost

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics