SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-08-13, 02:14 PM   #106
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix View Post
that's the spirit!

quick update on the problem - when i set an initial situation where all things are NOT equal, it all plays out acceptably.

when i set an initial situation where (in theory) all things ARE equal, i get unexpected results (one side never makes their stays) .

b
So this is prat of decision making wrt to where the enemy is? Interesting.
Old 05-08-13, 04:35 PM   #107
richitis
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ahoy submariners, and Bix in particular. I'm a lurker here from years ago (SH2 days), and just came across this thread in one of my periodic trawls of the internet for anyone making an Age of Sail game. Like the look of what you are doing, Bix, and look forward to the demo. I've also seen the Pirates Ahoy project, which looks interesting.

A few years back I got bored waiting for an AoS game to come along and decided to write my own too - I got a long way with it then had to shelve it for a bit due to real life, but there's an info page about it still up here:
http://www.richitis.co.uk/HeartOfOak/index.html
I see Pirates Ahoy have pinched my title, that's a shame! "Should be complete in 2010" I thought then - well maybe not, but I'm dusting this off and this time I hope I really will finish it in the not too distant future. Anyway, be interested to hear what people think. It seems there are a lot of AoS games around after all, just not from the big publishers (and none of them, so far, finished...)
richitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-13, 05:07 PM   #108
tater
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by richitis View Post
Ahoy submariners, and Bix in particular. I'm a lurker here from years ago (SH2 days), and just came across this thread in one of my periodic trawls of the internet for anyone making an Age of Sail game. Like the look of what you are doing, Bix, and look forward to the demo. I've also seen the Pirates Ahoy project, which looks interesting.

A few years back I got bored waiting for an AoS game to come along and decided to write my own too - I got a long way with it then had to shelve it for a bit due to real life, but there's an info page about it still up here:
http://www.richitis.co.uk/HeartOfOak/index.html
I see Pirates Ahoy have pinched my title, that's a shame! "Should be complete in 2010" I thought then - well maybe not, but I'm dusting this off and this time I hope I really will finish it in the not too distant future. Anyway, be interested to hear what people think. It seems there are a lot of AoS games around after all, just not from the big publishers (and none of them, so far, finished...)
Wow! That looks impressive. I'm fine with the idea of limited controls, but within that paradigm, did you have accurate sailing, particularly to windward?
Old 05-08-13, 09:26 PM   #109
Gilead Abyss
Watch

Downloads: 9
Default no fair fights!

Quote:
unexpected problem. should be solved tomorrow. sorry - but you waited this long....
Bix, each page of this thread raises hopes and excitement a bit more! Fellow posters, particularly tater and raymond, have very well covered all the helpful comments on gameplay and authenticity, not to mention the core purpose of a game modelling combat under sail. So in addition to an enthusiastic "seconded" of the last three pages of posts, I will gladly offer my feedback, impressions, and suggestions to anything you put together.

Good luck with your current challenge - nothing but a speed bump (rogue wave?) and I'm sure you'll clear it. Sounds like a case of broken symmetry...

Gilead Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:10 AM   #110
con20or
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Quote:
@raymond6751 - must have been con20or who was hot for vids
Yarr, twar me...arrr.
con20or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:49 AM   #111
bix
A-ganger

Default update

i'm determined that your first glimpse of the sailing in action be very satisfying, i still have a nasty glitch that i just can't allow - hang in there...
bix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 04:58 AM   #112
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Another gem

Richitis, another very impressive bit of work. I encourage you to continue.

Just when I thought games for PC folk were settling in beside the eight tracks and dinosaurs, along come these gems.

bix, I've been waiting all my young 62 years for what you are doing. A bit longer is quite all right.
Old 05-09-13, 06:37 AM   #113
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Great to see so much activity on this thread! Thx for the work on the demo bix, take your time mate!

@tater,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
I may be a bit caught up in modern sailing physics, but I was using 'tack' in the same sense as yourself and I understand that making headway upwind would've been somewhat arduous! What I was getting at was your apt refferance to momentum, I'm thinking that their 'close hauled' was so far from the actual wind direction and their speed so low, that a single tack must have resulted in an incredible loss of momentum, and so it would've been a fair old while before they could tack again without stalling?

Anyway, sounds like you really know your stuff!

Re: drift and swell; would be great to have them seperate.

Excuse me bangin' on about 'Steam and Iron' again, but, it really is an excellent example of a true naval 'sim', that is, making fleet decisions in the fog of war without automation and without unrealistic micro-management, i.e. everything SH is not!

I really recomend you guys check it out, they have also have a free demo which is the same as the paid version but with fewer scenarios and has time limits on scenarios but still plenty enough to get a feel of it.
Old 05-09-13, 09:53 AM   #114
tater
Navy Seal

Gotcha. From my reading it was really common for ships to even make sternway on tacks.

There are some youtube vids of square-riggers in action, and one of the Star of India (tied up in San Diego when not sailing) tacking in practically calm air where the action of unbalanced sails is clearly doing the work (not a momentum thing at all, just mismatched thrust when they back the foresails, lol).

The real question is what it looked like for warships---they'd have far more men to work the ship, so I presume they could be snappier about the evolution. It also depends a lot of wind speed. If the ship is making below X knots, there seems little way to avoid a tack that looks like a pivot in place. I suppose my momentum observations are more applicable to a moderate breeze, which is what I guess most of us think about (foam at the rails, etc) . A reality of having to douse the sails to just make headway in light airs is also to be considered...

<EDIT> interesting thought that bears saying "out loud" to make it clear. Momentum is mv (as we all know). The mass is equal in importance to the velocity, so larger warships carry more momentum for a given speed, and are therefor easier to tack without losing headway. Somewhat counter-intuitive since we think of smaller ships as being more handy. In a fresh breeze, the handling qualities of the smaller ship can win out, but in calmer air, the larger ships have the advantage (once they get moving, anyway).

Last edited by tater; 05-09-13 at 10:10 AM.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 10:07 AM   #115
tater
Navy Seal

Another thing to investigate is how a warship being "rigged for action" behaves vs one under normal sail. Chaining the yards, furled mainsail, etc, must have some effect.
Old 05-09-13, 10:34 AM   #116
tater
Navy Seal

Some references online:

general accounts of ship handling:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40958...-h/40958-h.htm

http://www.shf.org.au/JCFullBy/FB%20May%202010.pdf

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/luce/index.htm

This one is more specific to warships working windward (read the whole thing, it's awesome)...
http://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_ma...13_4_29-39.pdf

Quote:
The best choice for making good progress when sailing
into the wind was, without question, fore and aft rig. Squarerigged
ships are particularly restricted in their ability to sail close
to the wind by the physical characteristics of their rig. The
mariner's compass is divided into thirty-two points: each
representing an angle of 11 1/4° ,3 and a square sail, attached to
its yard, can fill with the wind at the very best no closer than an
angle of six points to the wind (Fig. I ), the traverse of the yard
being limited in front by the forestay and abaft by the lee shrouds
(Fig. 2). Thus, with a northerly wind, the best course that could be
sailed by a sailing warship was ENE, or WNW.
More from Sam Willis:
http://www.cnrs-scrn.org/northern_ma...14_3_57-68.pdf

Last edited by tater; 05-09-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-09-13, 11:14 AM   #117
tater
Navy Seal

This diagram, comparing square-rigged vs modern sailing tacks is overly optimistic for the square-rigger. It shows the ENE/WNW close-hauled tacks vs a north wind. That's basically in an ideal world, not the real world. Throw in leeway, veer the wind here and there, add a current (though the current might be to windward!), add sea state, and you start seeing the real world.

Given an average of maybe a point of leeway, beating directly windward could be nearly impossible. Throw in even a small current, and the "no go" region can be the whole windward direction. You sail elsewhere, and wait for a fair wind. This is why the language is a little different. In modern terms, with modern sailboats, tacking implies making windward progress. In the age of sail, tacking was merely changing tacks (wind off the port to wind off the starboard, or vice versa). In no way would making actual progress to windward be implied by tacking, since with leeway, currents, etc, you might make no, or vanishingly small, windward progress.

The wind really is the terrain, hence the general desire to have the weather as it was the only way to have any initiative, or real choice to engage.

Last edited by tater; 05-09-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-09-13, 12:18 PM   #118
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default It's all good, Tater

Tis best we take in the tops'ls, brace the yardarm, and set a reef in the mains'l tater.

We are blowing so much wind at bix's sails that he may go over. Let her take the wind and set herself a bit.

Bix, stay the course, lad. We be waitin fer yer next entry in the log.
Old 05-09-13, 01:23 PM   #119
richitis
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
Wow! That looks impressive. I'm fine with the idea of limited controls, but within that paradigm, did you have accurate sailing, particularly to windward?
Yes I use the 32 point compass (as in diagram in this thread) and a square rigged ship can sail no closer to the wind than 6 points (fore and aft rig a little closer). Tacking is realistic up to a point, but for example currently ships won't miss stays - though their speed may reduce to 0, and they may in fact start to make sternway, they will come around eventually (though slowly). I found this was necessary to help the AI, othewise it tended to miss stays too often and get in a tangle, especially when trying to tack in succession. I may make this configurable however.

Anyway I'll press on...
richitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 04:41 PM   #120
tater
Navy Seal

It'd ideally be easy for lubbers to tack in any such game via a "tack" command.

Hit the button, and the ship comes about as soon as she is able. She'll come off the wind a point or two, speed up, then come about, falling off close-hauled on the opposite tack to build up again, then come back to close-hauled. That makes skippering a choice when to give the order, but nothing more complicated to think about (crews can have a skill level which makes it a faster, and less likely to fail operation).

If for some reason the ship will clearly not make stays if the command is executed ASAP, the sailing master can either say why that won't work, or she might have to bear off the wind for longer to get some momentum.

The more I think about it, the better this is. Games have usually drawn a line on the water in some cases (the abysmal sailing in ETW leaps to mind), or otherwise let you drag the course where you may, then perhaps penalize you via slow movement. In general, however, while there is a chance of failure, it's frankly less fluid than that. This is not a binary operation, but one where there are finite common outcomes. You make stays, and pay out past close-hauled, then come up towards close-hauled if you are serious about making your tiny windward progress, otherwise close-hauled is NOT your best point of sailing, and you pick a tack closer to where you want to go, and back off the wind enough to make better way. Alternately, you miss stays. At this point the game could give you an alarm of sorts (the real skipper would be able to tell instantly when it was clearly gonna fail). You'd then have to pick one of a few options that exist depending on how you miss stays. Again, finite choices. You'll make sternway, then head on old tack, or the same for the new, or box haul her. Or just sit there hove to .

It's interesting, really, it's a sort of "chose your own adventure" kind of multiple choice for what in sims is generally considered the most difficult aspect of sailing---so difficult every game just lets people sail windward due to "magic" (PotBS, ETW, for example). What we really need is just a "wear ship" and "tack ship" command.

Last edited by tater; 05-09-13 at 06:22 PM.