Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 02:44 PM   #106
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

QUOTE=Neal Stevens;1246932]

. If they made a game that said you have to disconnect from the internet to play, I would have a problem

[/QUOTE]

I Really Agree I Totally AgreE

Old 01-26-10, 02:44 PM   #107
CaptainNemo12
Frogman

Downloads: 15

Congratulations Ubisoft... you just ruined SH5.
Old 01-26-10, 02:46 PM   #108
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Alright, I thought about it. I could post a rant that would make small children cry, but this is what it comes down to:

I am a gamer. As a gamer, I am presented with 3 options:

1. Give up on new games with these DRM measures. At this point in time, it seems likely that would include at least Assassin's Creed 2, SC Conviction and Silent Hunter 5.
2. Give in.
3. Piracy

Piracy is not an option. If anything, it would just make the measures more strict. I'm quietly hoping the system will be revised.

And I'm not going to give up on gaming either.

Leaves just 1 choice. Guess I'm luckily to have a stable connection 24/7.

I feel... depressed. Sick to my stomach. Like I sold my soul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
I better make it clear, when asked, I have no problem with a copy protection scheme as long as it does not inhibit a legit customer.
With all due respect Neal, we've reached that point. As soon as an internet connection becomes a requirement for play, not just activation, people with no or an unstable connection can not play it.

I hope you will consider your own words and give your stance a reevaluation. I'm not saying you should agree with me/us, all I ask is you give it a little more thought. I won't hold it against you or fight you on it if you stand by your statement.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Old 01-26-10, 02:47 PM   #109
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
What about the issue of limited number of saves that was brought up in another thread?

What about ubi server issues?

i see it crashing in the first week or two of release personally.
Heh I see it crashing on the day of release.. Kind of like what happend to Spore....
Old 01-26-10, 02:47 PM   #110
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNemo12 View Post
I would have a hard time calling it ruined, especially since it hasnt even been played be the general public yet.

seriously flawed perhaps... but not ruined.

it is easy to get passionate about these things... I for one am dissapointed about the save game issue.

i dont care so much about the internet issue, BUT im going to be severely pissed off when i lose connection to the internet during a particularly heated battle.
Old 01-26-10, 02:53 PM   #111
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Well now its seeming certain this will part of sh5 i have to say a big thankyou to ubisoft, youve just lost a sale but saved me £40, its a shame, but at least ive now got an extra £40 to spend on cake,
Old 01-26-10, 02:59 PM   #112
badkarma
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

I've had to make this decision a few times over games.
For 2 of them I gave in: when Railsimulator was released as Railworks on Steam, and with Batman: Arkham Asylum which requires a Windows Live Account.

Both of these were games I really wanted (and Steam also has an offline mode) so I went ahead and got them.
There are MANY other games I've passed on because of rediculously intrusive DRM that forces single player games to be "hooked up to the mother ship" all the time you want to play.
Having been reading the forums for the past few days after the Interview Email nudge I received, I was on the fence anyway.
I've not seen enough to make me want to leave SH3 and GWX for SHV as it is, and certainly not with DRM that stops me playing when I want to.

Sorry Ubi, I'm also out

Going to check the SH3 Mods forum and see if I can pep it up even further
Old 01-26-10, 02:59 PM   #113
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I'm still willing to give it a shot, but only after reading a LOT of reviews.

I was excited for many many many weeks about the release of SH3, because the ubi team was so forthcoming with TONS of videos, tutorials, screen shots, information, interviews with Oesten ALL PUBLISHED ON THE OFFICIAL SITE several weeks in advance of release.

but still... NOTHING at the official site for SHV

Old 01-26-10, 03:00 PM   #114
COWBOY10
Gunner

Downloads: 17

I thank you for your well constructed argument. Of course, I don't think I ever stated that I was in favor of this kind of DRM. I just said I can see this becoming the norm. I see a few people here decided to declare war on me, I better make it clear, when asked, I have no problem with a copy protection scheme as long as it does not inhibit a legit customer.

Hey Neal Mate, Just to answer that, I certanly am NOT declaring War on You, As I said at the start of my Post, I respect you and all you have done for our Community, I also didn't state you said you were in favour of this DRM, Just challenging the thought that most PC Gamers are connected 24/7. I agree most of us are Connected in some way 24/7 but it just might not be on our Gaming Rigs.

Sorry If I offended you mate, Certainly Not my intention. I Just wish The producers would listen to us for a change, I know theres always a complaint no matter which DRM they chose, but come on, Anythings got to be better than this.

Cowboy10uk
Old 01-26-10, 03:02 PM   #115
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Wow...just wow.

Man. It's like they don't want us to buy the game.

I have excellent Internet connection. I play World of Warcraft so I have to have excellent Internet connection.

But that's WoW. Will I do this for SH5? Nope. Because WoW isn't the same game as SH5 and vice versa. Like someone said, I set up a convoy shot for two hours, lose my connection and lose the game? Forget that. In WoW if I lose my connect I don't really lose anything at all. I just get back on. My toon is still there with all her equipment and buffs and I get right back in it.

Oh, well. I was leaning against buying SH5 because of the other already well-documented atrocities....this is just one more weight on that side of the scale.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Old 01-26-10, 03:04 PM   #116
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

[QUOTE=GoldenRivet;1246967
I was excited for many many many weeks about the release of SH3, because the ubi team was so forthcoming with TONS of videos, tutorials, screen shots, information, interviews with Oesten ALL PUBLISHED ON THE OFFICIAL SITE several weeks in advance of release.

but still... NOTHING at the official site for SHV

[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of warning flags in the wind for this game. A LOT.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Old 01-26-10, 03:06 PM   #117
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNemo12 View Post
Hey hey hey that is not fair. There was plenty of evidence to suggest that SH5 was ruined before this came about!
Old 01-26-10, 03:11 PM   #118
roman2440
Seaman

Downloads: 11

Its funny seeing everyone claiming this is the end of SH5 based on principles. You know this is deja vu, I saw the same vitrol coming from PC users about Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and their treatment of the PC community. You know what happened there? IW said wa-wa-wa, took their money, and laughed all the way to the bank. #1 selling game of all time, thats what happened.

It doesn't matter how many of you cancel based on this, its going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the sales they'll get regardless of DRM. Yes it does affect a community like this one, and yes that has an effect on further iterations of the game (like a potential SH6), but it has almost zero bearing on SH5 and its profitability.

BTW, this came down as an all or nothing type of approach, all Ubisoft games will require this - its not specific to SH5 at all. So even a local boycott of one game wouldn't have any effect other than to push Ubisoft away from spending money developing sub sims. Is that what you really want?

Look, is this the best of news for SH5? Hecks no. Is it good news for SH5, nope. Is it a death nail in its coffin, I certainly hope not. Yes it sucks for those that don't have a reliable internet connection, but really this is the 21st century, gaming and reliable internet are becoming more and more intwined. And as for one offs (like what happens if my ISP does maintenance in the middle of my game?) they are what they are - is it really a killer to lose out one gaming session? Is that one lost gaming session worth sacrificing all the other gaming goodness and the other umpteen good gaming sessions?

For me this is all about hours of entertainment for the money paid. For a 50$ game, I'd expect to get at least 10 hours of enjoyable gameplay out of it (to get it above parity with a movie). Do these restrictions affect that? not really, not at all.
Old 01-26-10, 03:12 PM   #119
Sgtmonkeynads
Ships Secretary

Downloads: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
Hey hey hey that is not fair. There was plenty of evidence to suggest that SH5 was ruined before this came about!
Andrew Dice Clay would say "OOOOHHHHH!" after that one
Old 01-26-10, 03:19 PM   #120
COWBOY10
Gunner

Downloads: 17

]Its funny seeing everyone claiming this is the end of SH5 based on principles. You know this is deja vu, I saw the same vitrol coming from PC users about Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and their treatment of the PC community. You know what happened there? IW said wa-wa-wa, took their money, and laughed all the way to the bank. #1 selling game of all time, thats what happened.

Ummmm, I think You will find, that only 10% of those sales were from the PC, The rest Console. All it really showed is teh PC Community getting Shafted Yet again.
Closed Thread