SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-10, 05:45 AM   #1
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

I also cannot see radar contacts on PPI radar display (RFB+RSRDC).
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 01:20 AM   #2
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardaukar67 View Post
BTW, are the best skills for crew members in Damage Control team still as in RFB manual, mechanical and electric? or has this changed in last versions?
Aye, mechanical and electrical are the two most important skills for damage control (equally so).

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 01:20 AM   #3
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

All: I am trying to get the latest patch uploaded to the Subsim server, but I'm running into a glitch at the moment. Once it is sorted out I'll get the file uploaded.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-12, 07:44 PM   #4
EvilMonk3y
Swabbie

Downloads: 20

omg nice Thx a lot
EvilMonk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 12:45 AM   #5
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Mido, everybody I know of that takes their boat beyond the testdepth, and passed the 450 mark, uses TMO. It has a 600ft depth guage you can click on. So if I want, I can click to take my balao boat to 600ft. trouble is though, the deeper you go, the tougher it is to get back up again. Even at 600ft, if I slow to 2kts, the boat slowly goes deeper passed 600ft. You have to increase speed to maintain depth, or rise to shallower depths, without blowing the tanks.

But not every boat can do that. The earlier boats had shallower test depths, so even going to 400ft with them can be iffy. I have taken the boats with a 250ft testdepth to 375, and a couple times to 400ft, but it gets a lttle nerve wracking. I did take a balao once to 700ft, but couldn't get her to rise, until I went to flank speed and blew the ballast tanks. Almost didn't come back from that once. Not sure what the game does, but once you start to hit those depths, the water is like glue. Almost going through gelatin.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 08:45 AM   #6
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1

Thanks Hylander, finally I figured out what changes to make in the relevant *.cfg files and my fleet boats can dive until they crush now. I really like RFB + RSRDC and if somebody could produce a mod which would allow you to dive down to 600 ft and more in a controlled way, that would be a big plus, also for TMO. It is historically not correct that the submarine would sink like a stone once past 500 ft of depth.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 11:29 AM   #7
BernieP2
Watch

Downloads: 50
Default Dynamic Lift

Hylander ... I don't know if the continued falling at low speed was intended in the game, but in real world, it can be a result of losing "Dynamic Lift" .

That was the physics principal that allowed a Zeppelin to lift in the air without adding gas or letting ballast go.

Sub in water works the same way (I think!?)

Anyway, something to look up in WIKI

Berniep2
BernieP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-12, 01:23 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieP2 View Post
Sub in water works the same way (I think!?)
Yes and no. I assume that "dynamic lift" involves moving forward at an angle that generates lift.

A sub in the water has to be balanced in a daily test dive. It was possible to come close to neutral bouyancy, but almost never perfectly. This is achieved by pumping water in the trim tanks until the boat is balanced as close to perfectly as possible. Once done you should be able to dive the next time without worrying. Problem is that by "the next time" you have expended fuel, making the boat lighter, people have eaten, which makes the boat lighter, if only by a few pounds. So on every dive you have to adjust for that. And now the clincher: every boat, every ship, no matter how "watertight", leaks. The more time you spend underwater the heavier the boat becomes. The only way to handle this is by moving quickly enough that the dive planes can respond, which makes you noisier, or by using the pumps to adjust the trim or pump some water overboard, which is also quite noisy.

There is no compromise, the boat is never perfect, and you have to deal with it somehow, and that almost always involves making noise, which is what you don't want.
Old 01-19-12, 06:40 PM   #9
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post
Thanks Hylander, finally I figured out what changes to make in the relevant *.cfg files and my fleet boats can dive until they crush now. I really like RFB + RSRDC and if somebody could produce a mod which would allow you to dive down to 600 ft and more in a controlled way, that would be a big plus, also for TMO. It is historically not correct that the submarine would sink like a stone once past 500 ft of depth.

I'm no authority on the game phyics of SH4, but there was discussion of that issue back when the first mods allowed you go deeper than 600ft. Also having to increase speed the deeper you go to maintain control of the boat as it almost feels like the water gets physically denser the deeper you go and more speed is required to maintain trim. It weird is a ll I can say.

It's a hardcode issue that can't be corrected from what I understood.

Good to see you figured out how to make it for your boat to go passed the redline and survive.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 08:03 PM   #10
mido
Engineer

Downloads: 191
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
I'm no authority on the game phyics of SH4, but there was discussion of that issue back when the first mods allowed you go deeper than 600ft. Also having to increase speed the deeper you go to maintain control of the boat as it almost feels like the water gets physically denser the deeper you go and more speed is required to maintain trim. It weird is a ll I can say.

It's a hardcode issue that can't be corrected from what I understood.

Good to see you figured out how to make it for your boat to go passed the redline and survive.
Well, if 3 or 4 "tin cans" drop nasty containers on you at the same time then the only escape is this... go deep and run silent...

You just can't go too deep, it stops somewhere. I did not change the crush depth.
mido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:53 AM   #11
Capt. Morgan
Commander

Downloads: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido View Post
...my fleet boats can dive until they crush now. I really like RFB + RSRDC and if somebody could produce a mod which would allow you to dive down to 600 ft and more in a controlled way, that would be a big plus, also for TMO. It is historically not correct that the submarine would sink like a stone once past 500 ft of depth.
Sorry for the late reply, I'm just catching up on RFB again.

I've been using Vickers TMO 1.9 3D interior overhaul in RFB\RSRD without any noticeable problems for several career patrols.

It will give you two clickable depth gauges - good down to 600' - at the planesman station and in the conning tower. I've taken a Balo down to 550' in full control, she sank a foot in one hour while at silent running (1KT). I haven't tested it below 550' because I don't really want to know the crush-depth.

With the unmodified NSS_*****.cfg, the red-line stays at the test depth, and crew call the out depth every 20' as far down as you want to go. The Below-Test-Depth icon also appears at the correct depth, but there's no verbal warning.

Oh yeah, the interior looks great too. Has anyone reported problems with this mod in RFB?

Capt. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 02:31 PM   #12
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I have observed that this mod has a nasty habit of CTD whenever you are in any time compression near an area that has a lot of contacts and the sound buffer clogs up because the watch crew wants to report them all at once. Is there a fix for this bug?
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-12, 04:22 PM   #13
Griffon_301
Swabbie

Downloads: 54

I just came back to SH after long years flying in Il2 and opted to go the RF way of modding; what can I say?
a big hearty thank you to all involved in creating this awesome mod!!!!

will post more once I have spent more time in the sim, it is far far better and more complex than the original Silent Hunter which I played till my eyes bled

once again, S! to all involved, see you in the pacific
Griffon_301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 10:26 PM   #14
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I have been playing this mod for a bit and I can say that the realism surrounding the Mark 14 Torpedo is certainly accurate and realistic. The torpedo is an unreliable piece of crap. Too bad I can't have the torpedomen "field mod" these things. Hats off to the RFB team for portraying this suck-tacular portion of military history well...too bad the fist imprint in my wall is disinclined to agree.

Last edited by Hinrich Schwab; 03-03-12 at 06:58 AM.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 01:25 PM   #15
Turtle
Nub

Downloads: 24
RFB v2.0 prereqs?

Thanks for all the work you guys do to keep things interesting.
Does 2.0 require RFB 1.5/1.52 to be installed first or is it all inclusive?
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote