SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-24, 02:45 PM   #106
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 475
Uploads: 0
Icon14

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-24, 02:49 PM   #107
Dieselglock
Wolf of the deep

Downloads: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
With some support JO313 figured out the issue himself . Doolar's issues have been solved a whicle ago. So now there are no pending issues I'm aware of. Only captains that are downloading and enjoying it

NYGM STEEL COFFIN V6.3 / Rik007: SH-3 Night surface attack 1.20 / CCOM12 FIFI / ONEALEX 1.53
Dieselglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-24, 04:56 PM   #108
JohnCarterOfMars
Watch

Downloads: 22
Default Moon Movement from one night to the next?

I've been playing with the moon mod with the OneAlex version and have a question about how the moon moves from one night to the next.

I noticed in my game that the moon hasn't changed position relative to the sun. In my game in October 1939, the moon is young and sets shortly after the sun sets. By day five, the moon hasn't changed position relative to the sun.

In real life, the moon should rise about 45 minutes later than the night before. By the time of the full moon, the moon should rise at the same time the sun sets.

Is my install corrupted or does the moon not actually change position from night to night during a patrol?
JohnCarterOfMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-24, 02:12 PM   #109
rik007
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 122

Hi John,

Your installation is not corrupt, it is a bug in the original game. Sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes it does not follow the schedule you would expect considering the length of a moon month and the actual date. It seems to be related to save/restore.

As far as the moon mod goes it reads whatever sh3 calculates and uses the results for moonlight/detection (it does not change moon variables). So for example if sh3.exe sticks in a full moon the upcoming 5 days the moon mod will stick in that as well

I roughly know where the calculation is done in sh3 though I'm very far of finding a cause in the original sh3.exe or rather the envsim.act where I expect the bug is located.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-24, 09:49 PM   #110
JohnCarterOfMars
Watch

Rik, thanks for letting me know. Since I'm playing a patrol that began with a two-day old moon, the whole patrol is very dark at night.
Old 08-19-24, 11:21 AM   #111
rik007
Grey Wolf

Hi John,

I send you a PM with some very consoling news regarding these moon bugs

Regards,

Rik
Old 08-20-24, 11:16 AM   #112
JohnCarterOfMars
Watch

I'll be on the lookout for it. Haven't seen it come in yet.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-24, 01:15 PM   #113
rik007
Grey Wolf

Hi John,

I just send you the fix for the bugs in sh3 with the moon. After almost 20 years after the birth of sh3 I fixed them. Or to be honest: I think I did

Regards,

Rik

Last edited by rik007; 08-20-24 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-20-24, 06:42 PM   #114
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3280

Quote:
Hi John,

I just send you the fix for the bugs in sh3 with the moon. After almost 20 years after the birth of sh3 I fixed them. Or to be honest: I think I did

Regards,

Rik
Hi Rick. Could you send me that fix? I would to try it

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-24, 07:38 PM   #115
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default re

I'd be down too
Old 08-21-24, 12:23 AM   #116
rik007
Grey Wolf

Ok, I send it to both of you. So after some testing, and without issues, I will make the fix/update available for everyone. Let's hope we can do that somewhere next week.

First these bugs affects the campaigns. The naval academy works as it should. Something I have seen before. So let me explain what I found:

There are multiple date/time variable in sh3. One of them controls the moon and the environment and one is the current date/time you see on the watches etc. The first one is not correct after a save/reload. After a reload the daynumber is set to 1. The effect you can see below:

In this case I started a patrol on the first of April 1941 (first row). Without safe/reload I continue the patrol until april 26th where I did a safe (second row). Then I reloaded the campaign (third row) and you can see the results. In the unpatched version the moon is back to its postition of april the first as well as the sky. Please notice that when we get closer to June the 21th days get shorter and the sun will set later.

All these pictures are same location and same time.

The fix corrects the date that controls the moon and environment by overwriting it with the current date/time just before calculations are done. This also solves a second bug as the update of that date/time is not correctly done.

So with this fix the moon will also follow the calendar provided with the moon mod.
Old 08-21-24, 04:57 AM   #117
GrenSo
The Analyst

Downloads: 596
Uploads: 7

Quote:
The fix corrects the date that controls the moon and environment by overwriting it with the current date/time just before calculations are done. This also solves a second bug as the update of that date/time is not correctly done.

So with this fix the moon will also follow the calendar provided with the moon mod.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-24, 08:28 AM   #118
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 475

Quote:

All these pictures are same location and same time.

If you want, I can host the mod for download so others may obtain the fix.

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-24, 11:23 AM   #119
rik007
Grey Wolf

Hi Fubar, that is a very polite way to say: he Rik can you send me the fix so I do not need to wait for a week....

Well, check your PM...

Old 08-21-24, 12:29 PM   #120
JohnCarterOfMars
Watch

Any additional help with testing the fix is appreciated.

I started a new patrol in a copy of my career to test this. It is time consuming because I need the patrol to last several days in order to see the change in the moon's rising and setting. I also need to have clear skies to see the moon.

What complicates it for me is that I play with the GWX 3.0 fatigue model, so using TC above 32 subverts fatigue. I did bump that up to 64 for normal play (32x TC = 1 game hour in two minutes). For now, I'm zipping along at 1024 TC just to speed through the days in order to see the changes in the moon's position from day to day.

So far, I'm still in day 1 traversing the canal to open waters.